Progress Thread 2nd Fox Body - some window trim work!

Is it true that if you can find a big enough parking lot and do a bunch of figure 8's one way and then the other it gets those Trac-Locs working again? I cant remember if I heard that from someone of if I read it on here. Mine works so I haven't had to address that yet. Maybe thats a pipe dream.

• Sponsors (?)

Is it true that if you can find a big enough parking lot and do a bunch of figure 8's one way and then the other it gets those Trac-Locs working again? I cant remember if I heard that from someone of if I read it on here. Mine works so I haven't had to address that yet. Maybe thats a pipe dream.
I think I’ve heard @General karthief say that.
I think mine are ok, but I figured while I have it apart for the gears, I’ll change them too.

It may be old skool fodder but when I change lube and additive I do the figure 8 thing, just 4-5 times, supposed to kinda clean up the material surfaces of the plates, I know it helped on my convertible, had about 90k and didn't always act like a track-loc but after it was good.

Rather than store it away dirty and rusty, took a few minutes to clean up the sway bar.
7B81B017-D15E-46BE-A8FE-783DF9A9FFAD.jpeg

0A1C1160-1D5A-4E27-B80C-599064C61D84.jpeg

waiting for the flat black paint/primer to dry, then I’ll hit it with some red, wrap it up, and put it away.

Got some red on the sway bar (still need to touch up some spots) and more disassembly on the rear.
Two upper control arm bolts and disconnect brake line and she’ll be free.
5584D995-6CF0-4108-AD48-493E3DAF56AC.jpeg

And I guess these worn out isolators could have been contributing to the rear end sag!
image.jpg

Duplicolor Engine enamel.
I hit the bar pretty hard with a flap disc, then a scotchbrite pad, then cleaned with mineral spirits until the paper towels stopped getting dirty.
I had no primer left, so I used a flat black paint/primer combo, then the red on top of that. image.jpg

Flitz polish is a really good polish for aluminum, bronze, copper, brass, silver, headlights, fiberglass, paint, getting bugs off of side mirrors, and more. I have not tried it in chrome yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Flitz polish is a really good polish for aluminum, bronze, copper, brass, silver, headlights, fiberglass, paint, getting bugs off of side mirrors, and more. I have not tried it in chrome yet.
The Ibiz stuff was one of those roadshow deals at Costco. Seemed pretty good so I gave it a try. All the products that came in the kit seemed to work pretty well.
At the end of the day, I think they are all pretty much very similar products.

Got some red on the sway bar (still need to touch up some spots) and more disassembly on the rear.
Two upper control arm bolts and disconnect brake line and she’ll be free.
5584D995-6CF0-4108-AD48-493E3DAF56AC.jpeg

And I guess these worn out isolators could have been contributing to the rear end sag!
image.jpg
That’s what mine looked like, I replaced them recently.

Got the rear out today, and started disassembly. Drained fluid, removed axles, brake lines, and backing plates. Hopefully with a little weight off it, I can get it to the workbench where it will live for a while.
While I have access underneath the car, I’ll get the undercarriage cleaned up some more, and POR15 it to match the new floor pans I did. Lot of work ahead of me!
613C8DED-1FAE-4617-B827-30D315BEA3E2.jpeg

image.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
So today I got more of the rear broken down.
I got the carrier out and disassembled, except for the bearings.
I found three clutch plates with missing tabs
CEDFE17C-F028-4430-8C52-5D70B9289055.jpeg

And I found one spider gear race (is that what they’re called) with a pretty good groove in it. I know this is the consumable part in the equation, so I’ll have to see if I can just buy that part.
C8E3E183-DB6F-42C8-97BC-92E9FE8627B1.jpeg

I have a new set of clutches and steels for the trac -loc, but have found some differing opinions of the order they are be set.
They came out with gear, clutch, steel, steel, clutch, steel, steel, clutch, carrier housing. Is that the correct order?
Thanks for the help guys!
image.jpg

Almost all the tabs were sheered off the clutch plates on my saleen when I took the rear end apart. I think there were two left. All the tabs were in the axle at the bottom. Some look like they went thru the ring or pinion but the ring and pinion I took out looked pretty good.

I do not remember for sure but I believe the latest Ford Racing instructions for the clutch pack order are the current preferred order. It is different than what the factory did back in the day. I used the order Ford Racing instruction order for my Saleen and my Ranger. I have not had any issues so far?

Almost all the tabs were sheered off the clutch plates on my saleen when I took the rear end apart. I think there were two left. All the tabs were in the axle at the bottom. Some look like they went thru the ring or pinion but the ring and pinion I took out looked pretty good.

I do not remember for sure but I believe the latest Ford Racing instructions for the clutch pack order are the current preferred order. It is different than what the factory did back in the day. I used the order Ford Racing instruction order for my Saleen and my Ranger. I have not had any issues so far?

I found this on LMR, so I guess I’ll go with this placement once I put it back together.
BF7C82E7-4FBC-4B33-820D-6F374E97131E.png

Had some time before work today, so I ran and got the 1 1/16 socket I need to get the pinion gear out.
And I found all the missing clutch tabs and the two pieces of gear sitting in the back of the housing! I guess it’s a good thing I tore this apart.
B7E30604-752E-4F08-ABBC-B12FB376AB34.jpeg

6290B694-95BA-4D23-B753-2186CB5A18E4.jpeg