Progress Thread 2nd Fox Body - some window trim work!

• Sponsors (?)

Replaced my passenger window motor yesterday. It had been intermittent for a while, and finally just wouldn’t go up. Found a good Rock Auto deal on that.

While I was there I changed the lock actuator. That hasn’t worked, ever. Still have some gremlins to work out there. Switch getting power to actuator but still not working. I’m rarely anywhere with the car that I need to lock it up anyway, so I’ll deal with that for a while.

This morning I changed my power steering return hoses. They were old, and leaking slowly, and tightening the clamps made no difference. Don’t want fluid slinging all over on the work I just did. New hoses seemed to have solved that.

Tomorrow, I will NOT work on it, I will drive it and enjoy the nice weather.:)

Oh yeah, while I had the panel off, I got rid of my nasty, sagging map pocket. I cut the button out of the pleated pocket, and stuck it back on the panel. Looks a little more “finished” that way.
16B3846D-BAA1-4F9D-A682-50A9EDDA5907.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Got it out for another nice ride today (after some yard work, fertilizer, etc etc). Ran good, and power steering lines dry as a bone! I think I hear the pump whining a little though. Checked fluid level and we’re good there. I think I’ll do a full flush with all brand new fluid and see what happens.

Took the windshield trim off and painted it.
Here’s a “trim off” and an “after”. I thought I had a “before” shot on my phone. Must be on the computer. Anyway, looks better than it did. Seems as though somebody painted some original gray trim, black, and I had more gray showing than black.
7D8CCAE9-2554-4C31-BE10-59A5AE0F4218.png
E120F55B-2931-4709-975E-21A557CB1AB6.png

Reactions: 1 users
I know there is sealer inside those door window trims. If I remove to paint, do I need some type of new sealer, or does it stay tacky enough where I can just put it back on?
The car doesn’t see rain, but I don’t want leaks when I wash it either.
As far as those go Dub, Id mask the tops of the doors and spray them. Unless you really want to take them apart, but personally, I don't think its needed. Just mask off the glasses and vehicle as tight as you can get it.

As far as those go Dub, Id mask the tops of the doors and spray them. Unless you really want to take them apart, but personally, I don't think its needed. Just mask off the glasses and vehicle as tight as you can get it.

Thanks...... that was my next option. I don’t really want to be messing with that sealer, and once I do, that trim probably won’t go back where it was.
And at $80 for a pair of new ones.... I’m painting!

Your interior looks great. One of the things I did to mine that really made it look new was put on new map pockets. They are inexpensive but make a huge difference in how the interior looks.

123J7O.jpg

OJDdHE.jpg

Your interior looks great. One of the things I did to mine that really made it look new was put on new map pockets. They are inexpensive but make a huge difference in how the interior looks.

123J7O.jpg

OJDdHE.jpg

Thanks man!
Those doors look great too! I honestly can’t remember ever seeing map pockets that weren’t sagging. Maybe I will replace them.

Been a little quiet on the Foxbody front for me lately. Decided we needed new appliances in kitchen so that took up some time (and money) but I did sneak my welder in there, although I havnt had a chance to fire it up yet. Appliances are leading to shopping for tile, so I have that project in my near future, but for some reason I enjoy tile work, so that’s ok!

Anyway, had to work the late shift tonight, 2-11p.
I had some time this morning, sun was out finally, so I took the car out for some errands I had to run. Ran good - felt good to be out. Had the obligatory conversation at a stoplight with someone asking about the car (always cool when that happens, especially when they have a clue about Foxbodies).
As you know, I eliminated the starter relay, hooked up a buss bar, and a regular 5 terminal relay to get the juice to the starter mounted solenoid on the new mini starter. It’s been working flawlessly so far, through many starts and stops.
Before i go to work, I start it up, pull it in the garage and shut it down. I realize it’s a hair too close to the door (I like to leave as much room in front to avoid as many unnecessary scratches on the front end from the foot traffic getting to and from the wife’s car).
I start it back up, pull it up another couple inches, shut it down and the starter just keeps turning and turning. No biggie, I disconnect the negative and it shuts down. Reconnect and everything is fine.
I’m assuming the 5 terminal relay stuck? Is there a “better” brand of these that anyone had had luck with? This was an Amazon purchase from who knows where.
Anyway, felt good to get out again and I hope this was an isolated incident and not something deeper!
Yeah, this was a long winded post, and yeah it’s 10:30 so I’m still at work (taking a quick 5).
Back to work.

Yeah.... I did put it back on for a minute to see if the starter was still going to crank on its own, and it didn’t. But I disconnected it again before I left.

I’m assuming the 5 terminal relay stuck? Is there a “better” brand of these that anyone had had luck with? This was an Amazon purchase from who knows where.

Most likely it's that small 5-terminal relay, vs the relay on the starter. But don't rule out the starter relay sticking.

I tend to buy electronics from digikey and mouser. Much better quality than some of the more readily available stuff out there

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/relays/automotive-relays/962

I use a lot of Omron relays, but their lead times are a bit long - 12 weeks

Most likely it's that small 5-terminal relay, vs the relay on the starter. But don't rule out the starter relay sticking.

I tend to buy electronics from digikey and mouser. Much better quality than some of the more readily available stuff out there

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/relays/automotive-relays/962

I use a lot of Omron relays, but their lead times are a bit long - 12 weeks

Thanks @Mustang5L5 . I thought of the one on the starter, but then I thought that would that mean the 5 terminal was staying closed as well, getting the juice down there?

I have a few other Amazon relays I can try, but I may take your advice and order some of the better quality stuff.