Progress Thread 2nd Fox Body - some window trim work!

I'd rearrange the spacers and look and see what happened. With the nuts tight it should've pulled the strut all the way up. The strut rod is thicker than the threaded end so the spacers should've sat all the way down on that shoulder. There'd be no way for the strut to come through further. The threaded portion of the strut could damage the hood if they are too long.
That’s the funny part. The top of the strut seems to be at the same height as it was before, just below the hood line. Tough to see in this pic.... but all was good when I first installed.
I knew I’d have some hiccups with so many things changed at once, but I was surprised to see this.
AA9FC3D8-22AB-480A-A5EE-01D15E510C6A.png

Edit:
Although..... I guess as I think about it, it had to have moved up that 3/4”...... but the hood does still close without issue.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I would be VERY careful even shutting the hood for the night. Grab some silly putty or modeling clay first, or just stay up late and do what 90sickfox says.
Edit, we must have been typing at the same time.

Last edited:
Here’s where I’m at leaving the spacers where they are, and the hood closes fine.
image.jpg

But...... I have not had an alignment yet, and that could change where the top of the strut hits.
Doesn’t rearranging the spacers change the strut travel? Wouldn’t putting more spacers underneath hinder the amount of travel?

I think I may move the small spacer underneath. That will be one large and two small on the underside, with one large up top.
It will allow for hood clearance once aligned, and not limit strut travel too much.

I know the instructions say to toss one .48" and .24" under the spherical bearing and then one of each on top as well but perhaps the manufacture of your struts has more thread portion than other brands thus requiring that .24" on top to be moved to underneath the spherical bearing? Instructions do say you need at a minimal of one spacer on top of the bearing for proper movement. If it were me, I would yank one and stack one .48 and two .24 on the strut shaft, install it into the car and jack up the control arm so the strut shaft is thru the bearing fully and install the single .48 spacer on top and see where your at.

I put all spacers underneath except for one small .24 up top. It lowered the top of the strut enough, so no matter where the strut ends up after proper alignment, it will not effect hood closure!

Reactions: 1 user
Now that I have the strut where I need it, I was looking around and double checking things.
Grabbing the tire and pulling it side to side from the top, I hear some “clunking”.
I’m thinking it may be the strut to spindle bolts not being tight enough. I painstakingly torqued everything to spec upon reinstall, but maybe once on the ground and moving a little, it needs a little more? Just one more obstacle being thrown in my way!

Now that I have the strut where I need it, I was looking around and double checking things.
Grabbing the tire and pulling it side to side from the top, I hear some “clunking”.
I’m thinking it may be the strut to spindle bolts not being tight enough. I painstakingly torqued everything to spec upon reinstall, but maybe once on the ground and moving a little, it needs a little more? Just one more obstacle being thrown in my way!
If that is in fact what you are hearing, you’re gonna have to get it tight(er). When I went to PC fla. last March for the Emerald coast cruise in, the Passenger side strut bolts were loose enough to allow movement like you’re experiencing. The front end would just start shaking while driving, then just as quickly stop. It was enough to make you think you gotta wheel loose, and getting ready to leave the car at any second. I discovered it by chance when I got back. It was moving about 1/4“ top to bottom.

If that is in fact what you are hearing, you’re gonna have to get it tight(er). When I went to PC fla. last March for the Emerald coast cruise in, the Passenger side strut bolts were loose enough to allow movement like you’re experiencing. The front end would just start shaking while driving, then just as quickly stop. It was enough to make you think you gotta wheel loose, and getting ready to leave the car at any second. I discovered it by chance when I got back. It was moving about 1/4“ top to bottom.
Sure enough, those bolts were allowing the movement. There was also maybe a credit cards with of space where the strut ears needed to close down a bit more, which it did. Torqued to 190ft/lbs. so hopefully they’re tight for good now!

So with the help of a buddy, we got the strings and measuring tape out, and got a driveable alignment.
However, I now have the dreaded power steering chatter at certain points between lock to lock. It’s smooth as can be with the tires off the ground. I’m hoping it’s just some more air in the lines..... so we’ll se how that goes. Other than that, the first test drive around the block seemed to be a success!

Reactions: 1 users
And I guess I have to mention...... although it’s early, and I’ve only been to about 35mph with the car around the neighborhood..... I hear no odd sounds coming from my newly “self-built....for the first time” rear end!
I’ll be pretty proud if it stays that way!! Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
And just because I’m never content, and always need to do something....... I was trying to get my tailpipes “EXACTLY” where I want them. It didn’t happen. I need some of those large band clamps..... which I ordered today.
But anyway...... I ran it for a while with no tailpipes. I don’t know how you guys can do that who run the dumps. Not only is it a completely different sound, but the exhaust is pretty much right in your face if you have the window open. Just my opinion, but I’ll stick to my tailpipes for sure!

Reactions: 2 users
I just placed an order with redline goods.com. I hope it is as advertised! Will report back upon arrival!
........ and as if you couldn’t tell...... I am super stoked about my fox body since all the work I’ve put in this past year! I will prolly enjoy it as is for a while, and then turn my sights to some motor upgrades! ..... heads, cam, GT40 intake (already have). Good things to come!

So, one thing I changed this past year that didn’t have to do with suspension or brakes was the O2 sensors.
I Haven’t driven it much, or for any long distance, but it sure seems to run and idle much better than it did. Maybe I should have replaced them a lot sooner than I did.
:shrug:

Hangin in the garage tonight...... ordered some sheets of black ABS.
Started my template. I don’t know if it will work out, but I’m going to give it a try to cover the area between the nose and the radiator.
F187E0A5-6C00-420A-8AC8-F5616BF33298.jpeg

• Ah yes, I see.  I see.
Reactions: 4 users