Progress Thread 2nd Fox Body - some window trim work!

• Sponsors (?)

i sprayed Fluid Film using the flexible hose in all the frame rails and inside corners of the cowl area..usually this stuff will creep to areas that paint cant get to..helps against internal rust

From what I was able to see today, the rails are fine. I was in there with a flashlight when the garage was pretty dark, and no light coming through anywhere it wasn’t supposed to. I started tapping around with a screwdriver and hammer, and everywhere I could get to felt solid.
I’ll decide whether to do the internal coating now, or wait until I pull the motor down the road (after this stage of the build).

I also spent some time on the k-member getting it clean and scuffed up for a paint job. I still need to get it outside with one more foaming degreaser/ garden hose session for good measure. Brake clean was the go to for the majority of this!
1D6984E4-1DDD-4F27-AD08-ABC45811C77E.jpeg

A12A3D18-AAB1-4BDC-8C80-5ED00E8ED4B4.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
Could you take the pan off, and replace main bearings with standard size. Amateur question .
Not sure, but I would imagine you can. I will be dropping the pan, cleaning and painting it, and putting in a Felpro one piece rubber gasket. This is actually next on the list.

That bearing question brings back memories...... my dad got a hold of an ‘83 6cyl Firebird for $500 when I first started driving. Crank bearings were shot. We dropped the pan, replaced the bearings, and I got about a year out of it before they started singing again. That’s when the For Sale went on it and we parted ways!

It’s just the pan gasket for now. It hasn’t given me any reason to question the bearings..... yet!
lol I would be saying the same as you if I was you but I think these guys are trying to tell you to at least inspect the bearings while you have gone through the ordeal of pulling the oil pan just to be safe.

lol I would be saying the same as you if I was you but I think these guys are trying to tell you to at least inspect the bearings while you have gone through the ordeal of pulling the oil pan just to be safe.
I’ll definitely take a look at everything while im there. I just hope it doesn’t take a turn like everything else I do, and make the project even bigger! Lol

I’ll definitely take a look at everything while im there. I just hope it doesn’t take a turn like everything else I do, and make the project even bigger! Lol
haha that is how things go sometimes.. more often than not for me but anyways it is worth taking a peek even if you don't have any oil pressure issues or noises.

Searching for k member bolts on McMaster. Pretty sure these are the ones I need. McMaster guru @Mustang5L5 what do you think?

Screws, Flanged Hex Head, M14 x 2.00mm, 100mm Long

K member mostly painted. The underside needs a little more but I ran out of paint!
AC9FFF42-222D-420C-B6DF-C045FE070148.jpeg

And once I get another pair of hands to help lift this, I can get my workbench back!
3BB40D7E-5B16-42F8-8C6A-D1D32675B9A3.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
Good move on waiting for another pair of hands... I didn't have the patience to wait and lifted and installed my 8.8 myself and ended up blowing out my sciatic nerve on one side. Now that pos hurts me every day all day and it has been three years