Progress Thread 2nd Fox Body - some window trim work!

Thanks guys!! It’s been fun so far, and I’ve actually gained some welding skills ...... maybe.... a little bit. At least now I feel like the welder paid for itself!!

Thief, it’s “collected” a whole lot of dust the past few months, does that count?

• Sponsors (?)

Got some Rustoleum Rust Reformer onto the tank, and painted the cover with another Rustoleum product that said it “bonds to plastic too”. Got straps painted too. If nothing else, a little more protection than it had!
B7253E04-51AD-47A4-88E5-9436C981195C.jpeg
80AE059C-BE70-4485-8207-AC754DDE231A.jpeg
7F9F6A43-17E8-4DD1-940F-A44B54D4805B.png

Reactions: 6 users
Last edited:
I decided to order the Dorman tool for putting the nylon line onto fittings, so while I wait for that, I decided to burn in my drivers side subframe.
I’m going to clean up the welds and make another pass in some spots that I don’t think I got too well. I learned quick that welding in contorted positions under the car is a little more difficult than on the bench. Not pretty, but I’m confident it’ll be solid when I’m finished!
22760720-2C35-4209-A266-FF0C83283A26.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
I decided to order the Dorman tool for putting the nylon line onto fittings, so while I wait for that, I decided to burn in my drivers side subframe.
I’m going to clean up the welds and make another pass in some spots that I don’t think I got too well. I learned quick that welding in contorted positions under the car is a little more difficult than on the bench. Not pretty, but I’m confident it’ll be solid when I’m finished!
22760720-2C35-4209-A266-FF0C83283A26.jpeg

Nice work Dub, looks pretty clean under there man!

Back working on the fuel lines today. I’m getting the old nylon removed, cleaning up the fittings, and generally just killing time in the garage on a day off. Hopefully my Dorman tool will be here tomorrow.
Anyway, once I got the hoses off, removed the outer rubber sheath, and inspected
image.jpg

everything closer, I found the nylon on the supply and return is the exact same size. So even though the steel lines are of different size, they use the same nylon. The metal fittings are a little different, but the barbs are the exact same. Seems odd to me, but who am I to judge. At least I get to return the one section of hose and get my $18 back!

And I wish I had a “before” pic...... but I just cleaned up this original Ford fuel filter clamp on the wire wheel. It looked like it was ready for the trash! (Yes I’m a little bored today)
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I received my Dorman fuel line tool today. Part 800-301. So far it is well worth the $85.00. Presses the fittings on flawlessly.
@kiddiccarus - I think you were interested in this from my other thread.
E021F340-CE5C-4E51-A138-C78A5DB2B4B3.jpeg
D9B8D841-356F-4917-8A4A-BF44D6ABE704.jpeg

It looks like with the attachments it comes with, connecting the nylon hose to the solid line should be fairly easy as well.
I have to decide if I’ll have the room to do it after I maneuver them into place on the car. I hope I do so I don’t risk kinking them on the way back in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Got these clips from Eastwood to remount my fuel lines. Trying to decide on short screws, or rivets to secure them. I feel like stainless rivets will be more secure over the long run?
9FF2E1E7-8331-4019-BCBC-5EB80180EE46.jpeg

Was hoping to get my fuel lines back in place, and the other frame connector welded on today. Turned out I had bent (and unbent) the curl lines a little more than I realized when I took them. So after a lot of back and forth, I got that situated.
The passenger side frame connector for perfect when I had tested it during floor pan install. Today, with the seat brace in place, I was a little too far from the rear frame rail. Rather than bending the connector, I just notched the seat bracket about 1/8 more, and she fits good again. Gonna get the top of this connector primed with some weld-thru, and then call it a day.
754B870A-7014-44C6-8DF3-095AE3DADAE0.jpeg
DF70A7DD-94F8-4CFC-B1B6-C4092E9CFA25.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I received my Dorman fuel line tool today. Part 800-301. So far it is well worth the $85.00. Presses the fittings on flawlessly.
@kiddiccarus - I think you were interested in this from my other thread.
E021F340-CE5C-4E51-A138-C78A5DB2B4B3.jpeg
D9B8D841-356F-4917-8A4A-BF44D6ABE704.jpeg

It looks like with the attachments it comes with, connecting the nylon hose to the solid line should be fairly easy as well.
I have to decide if I’ll have the room to do it after I maneuver them into place on the car. I hope I do so I don’t risk kinking them on the way back in.
I'm the guy who likes neat, useful tools. However, for $83 I would have stuck with heating the tubing in boiling water and then pushing it on over the barbs... You'll need some grill or cooking gloves to handle the hot tubing, but if you grill a lot, you may already have them.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm the guy who likes neat, useful tools. However, for $83 I would have stuck with heating the tubing in boiling water and then pushing it on over the barbs... You'll need some grill or cooking gloves to handle the hot tubing, but if you grill a lot, you may already have them.

I bought the tool. It worked well. If I have no leaks it will be well worth it. I’ve already let all my “car friends” know that I have it, so hopefully it will get some more use!!

Reactions: 1 users
Frame connectors are in!!! My welds go from one end of the spectrum to the other. I found that if I was able to get myself in good position to both weld and see, my welds were more than acceptable.
But the ones where I had to contort a little more, without a real good sightline....... well I won’t talk about those.
Just stepping into the car on the floor pan, I can feel a huge difference. Can’t wait to get these fuel lines buttoned up, tank in, interior back together, and on the road again!!
BE945B68-1FD6-42BC-8F61-7A6502BB588D.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 7 users
Not much happened in a month. I do have my fuel lines mounted. Gave my inner fender a cleaning and a new coat of black paint, and buttoned that up. And now I wait......
I took the fuel filler neck apart, cleaned it up, and painted. I had ordered the gaskets, and the neck to trunk floor seal. Both went on back order. Then two days ago, CJ Pony sends me an email that the trunk seal is being removed from my order due to no confirmation on when mfg. can fulfill the order. So on to LMR I went (should have done that in first place) and ordered it again. I’m still unsure about the gaskets up at the filler door. I was billed for them, but they have yet to ship. I think I’m done with CJ Pony for a while!

Oh..... I did order and receive some Kilmat. So that’s on the list to do before my interior goes back together. My goal now is Memorial Day to have it running, free of fuel leaks! Then I’ll worry about the interior!

I’ve slacked on the picture taking. Maybe I’ll get a few tomorrow. The lines do look good all nice and clean with new mounting tabs!!

Edit: ordered another gasket set from Blue Oval Industries this morning. Already got email that they shipped, with a tracking #. Hopefully this issue with CJ gets corrected when we get back to “normal”. I’ve never had any issues getting things before through them. I’ll just return their gaskets if they ever show up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users