3.8L MAF compatibility

Nitrobuzzard

Jul 16, 2022
NC
Hello everyone! I've searched but can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I believe someone swapped out the air box in my '95 with one out of an '02. Reason I think this is that the IAT is integrated with the MAF, it has a different wiring harness for the MAF/IAT and the filter housing doesn't fit correctly.

Its not running like it should and this is the first thing I noticed...

My question, is the MAF compatible between a 95 and the newer stuff?

Thanks

-Nitro

• Sponsors (?)

094F0677-682A-44AC-8D8F-39C0DBB1BFA5.jpeg
67491528-125A-4E5F-8D3C-F08BC6B3DCCA.jpeg

Upon further digging into this thing I've discovered it also has, according to the part number, 2 injectors from an '04 F-150 4.6L. Also, the upper plenum had not been torqued as the forward and rearward bolts I took out with my hand and a socket.....the other four weren't tight either...gasket had no impressions at all....even the wife said it looked like it had never been used lol

I know my brother didn't touch those so it was the mechanic he had working on it...someone needs a good whooping....and I know who it is

So compatibility is no longer a question here. Looks like it will be getting all new parts anyway just so I know that everything is as its supposed to be...

Now I have to decide do I want to use this engine or just get a junkyard engine and hope for the best. Not really wanting to rebuild another engine right now...dont think my back could handle it lol

Thanks

-Nitro

That air box looks factory to me, remember this version was designed for the then new 4.6 mod engine but still retained the 5.0 push rod engine. Even though yours is a V6. A cai will likely do nothing for performance that just swapping a high flow air filter would do.
if the engine is healthy, does not smoke, burn oil and runs good, I'd run it, if you're looking for more power either the 4.6 or another 5.0 bolts in physically but the electronics is a undertaking but I have no experience with the sn95 platform.
What do you want from this ride?

This air box has the IAT built into the MAF, but, the duct work in my car has an external IAT...its still in there lol And from everything I found it was separate for this year but there again, im like Schultz...I know nothing..nothing. The reason I mentioned the CAI was that I do have to replace the air box, as this one doesn't fit properly in the car, or its missing parts that would allow proper fitment, and one of the clamps are busted allowing it to have a gap. The cost between finding a good used box or the CAI is comparable to each other so, may as well dress it up a bit I figured.So it is a factory box but did it come on my car?

As far as what I want from the car, I just want it to run like its supposed to. Not looking to get 300rwhp out of it...lol

Thanks

-Nitro