Progress Thread 331 Turbo Project - at shop for Paint & Interior

I've not been in the market for one in like 11-12 years. Back then, they were selling for what he's asking new from Dart. But, I imagine they're asking more these days. I wanna say that my IE was ~$2k, back then, but that's before the machine work, which was also quite a bit. If I were to do it over again, I might just buy a complete motor. Good luck with your build, man.

• Sponsors (?)

New shoes!

Took a little work to get the 15" rears to work with the 12" brakes, but they fit!
IMG-20181207-WA0010.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users
Finally you can get some traction... with the 13psi or so your making the car should be down into the 9's by now right??
Probably. It's all new territory for me. I'm going to need a little seat time. Also, this car has been tuned on Torco + 93 Octane to 880 rwhp without enough spring in the wastegate to keep it closed. I was hoping for 4 digits when I pieced everything together, and the turbo should be good for more than the one in the blue car, which made 954. I'll take a trip out to Sacremento after I get the new ARB in. The old one broke because I was driving it on the street. I'm replacing it with a bolt-in style ARB so that if it happens again, I can do it without any welding.

Slicks on the street ?
No. I had just pulled it off of the trailer. It might find its way to an occasional street race on them, but for normal driving it gets the 17" wheels and tires in post 102. Racemaster 325/45/17 & 245/45/17 Michelin PSS tires up front.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If thats the case you should add Wmethonal spray a mix of 50% denatured alcohol 50% distilled water.. two 14GPH nozzles in the charge tube before the throttle blade. No more torco needed on 93. and you can add 4-6* advance first run on the dyno.

Have you played with a knock sensor and set of headphones?? its easy cheap and gets the job done

If thats the case you should add Wmethonal spray a mix of 50% denatured alcohol 50% distilled water.. two 14GPH nozzles in the charge tube before the throttle blade. No more torco needed on 93. and you can add 4-6* advance first run on the dyno.

Have you played with a knock sensor and set of headphones?? its easy cheap and gets the job done

No, although a long time ago I thought it would be pretty awesome to tune with one of these: http://www.jandssafeguard.com/

After looking into it, I decided it was too expensive and was concerned about the reviews that talked about false positives.

I think I'll stick to the gas and Torco and or race gas. It's less complicated, one less thing to worry about, and one less thing to maintain. I considered it when I built the car and decided to go the way I did. I'm pretty happy with the results... well, except for the wastegate spring.

A.R.B. (and spool) is really nice when dropping the hammer,on the street.
A little harsh the rest of the time.
Yeah, you're not kidding. I like driving with the ARB attached even though they say not to. It is pretty harsh, as you say. However, I don't have a spool. The Strange S-trac seems to work pretty nicely, although it has felt squirrelly a couple of times after gassing out of a turn.

Just took the car on the longest drive it's taken since 2009. I wanted to spend a little time breaking in the clutch. I'd replaced it again, because it was having trouble going into reverse. Now, it goes into reverse very nicely warm or cold, but stinks like hell and needs a proper break in. I took it from my home in Seaside, CA to San Francisco and back for a total of about 230 miles. The car ran great! Never saw the higher than 211* (Fans kick on at 205*). The new ARB no longer binds like it did, and now the rear end feels very well composed and doesn't beat me to death over bumps. The tires absolutely do not rub at all, anymore! The tune is awesome! It doesn't mind cruising at 1300 RPM. It bogs, but does not buck below that. It doesn't mind mild acceleration from any rpm.

The last time it went this far was when I drove the car to my bro's house from Columbus, GA to Florida (early in this thread). Back then the car had a TKO & an 8.8" rear with 3.73s & 26" tall 275/40/17 nitto Drag Radials. It averaged 22-23 mpg. After all of the changes, I wondered how much worse my fuel mileage would be. After all, I've heard that the 6 speed's bulkier and the O/D ratio only went from .68 to .63. The 9" rear end was supposed to sap some efficiency. The mini-tub and 12" wide wheels I thought would also suck away some efficiency.

Now, it has a T56, 9" rear, 3.70s, and 28" tall 325/45/17" M&H Drag radials. It averaged 22.6 miles per gallon while cruising from 50-70 mph with the flow of traffic, and both windows down. Not shabby at all!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users
The furthest ove driven my car is maybe 10 miles round trip. I've got to step my game up. I'm being a lil' chickn' sh!t

Not bad at all! I bet you enjoyed that pretty of a cruise up the coast.

Yep, and I found a new route that doesn't beat the car as badly as the 101. It was utterly beautiful and HWY 85 keeps me closer to the coast, which acts like A/C.

The furthest ove driven my car is maybe 10 miles round trip. I've got to step my game up. I'm being a lil' chickn' sh!t

Hey, I understand. Get some seat time, first. Gotta have the confidence you won't get caught out in traffic.

22MPG is not bad!! what cam, target AFR and timing??? cam has alot to do with MPG as some require a much higher cruise RPM :chin

Actually, I shut it off and made my buddy push most of the way ;-)

I didn't even pull up the tune, because it's been running so nicely. I do run a Racepak dash on this car, however. And, I watched the AFRs stay between 14.8 and mid 15s with the occasional bounce to the max gauge reading of 15.8. It never sputtered, though. I only glanced at timing once and it was at 32-33 ish. I did the street tune over a year ago, now.

The Blue car drives nicely, but this one is an absolute sweetheart on the streets, and it's really got me considering getting Ed to do another cam. The difference in static compression ratio doesn't account for the difference in the tune. (9.3 vs. 8.5). I can drop this car in 6th gear at just over 50 mph and it just purrs at 1300+ RPM. The blue car, which if I'm not mistaken was originally a Jay Allen blower cam with a nice healthy split, just doesn't like it below 1800 or so. 6th gear is only good an 80+ mph cruise. This car is a 600 lift, small duration, reverse split cam with no overlap. (LINK)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yep, and I found a new route that doesn't beat the car as badly as the 101. It was utterly beautiful and HWY 85 keeps me closer to the coast, which acts like A/C.

Hey, I understand. Get some seat time, first. Gotta have the confidence you won't get caught out in traffic.

Actually, I shut it off and made my buddy push most of the way ;-)

I didn't even pull up the tune, because it's been running so nicely. I do run a Racepak dash on this car, however. And, I watched the AFRs stay between 14.8 and mid 15s with the occasional bounce to the max gauge reading of 15.8. It never sputtered, though. I only glanced at timing once and it was at 32-33 ish. I did the street tune over a year ago, now.

The Blue car drives nicely, but this one is an absolute sweetheart on the streets, and it's really got me considering getting Ed to do another cam. The difference in static compression ratio doesn't account for the difference in the tune. (9.3 vs. 8.5). I can drop this car in 6th gear at just over 50 mph and it just purrs at 1300+ RPM. The blue car, which if I'm not mistaken was originally a Jay Allen blower cam with a nice healthy split and just doesn't like it below 1800 or so. 6th gear is only good an 80+ mph cruise. This car is a 600 lift, small duration, reverse split cam with no overlap. (LINK)
Love hearing stuff like this . My car runs down to like 1300 as well in overdrive if you are going slow enough . I did like 300 plus miles in less than 24 hours last time I had it out . It’s what they are for to enjoy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users