351W

I just bought a 351w out of a 1993 f150, I am looking at the afr 185 or 205 but don’t know which head would be better for this application. I want something fun and street race but stock bottom end just all refreshed and i’ll get a holley efi and still deciding on a cam, any advice wether to go 185 or 205 or what cam with those heads?

• Sponsors (?)

The extra cubes should keep up port velocity, so I say 205’s at least.
For the cam, that’s the last piece to tie it all together. Call the cam tech line with car weight, trans, gearing, and whatever all they want to know. There are enough off the shelf Windsor cans to get you an almost custom grind. Or go for the custom one you really want.

I really can’t believe that there is a “custom” grind for any windsor out there. Just how many different combinations remain in the sea of sameness anyway?
Anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

point:

Cam dude: Tell me about your combo..
Ford dude: I have a N/A pushrod 5.0 in a 3200 pound car, driven on the street, with an XYZ top end kit, 5 speed trans, and 3.55 gears….
Cam dude: yeah, you and 35 bagillion others…I have just the ticket.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I really can’t believe that there is a “custom” grind for any windsor out there. Just how many different combinations remain in the sea of sameness anyway?

point:

Ford dude: I have a N/A pushrod 5.0 in a 3200 pound car, driven on the street, with an XYZ top end kit, 5 speed trans, and 3.55 gears….
Mike's sooo cheery
yeah he's kinda right but his delivery is, well, cheery, you know like telling you your car has a flat tire,
the good news: the other three are still inflated

point:

The need for a custom cam with what should be on the shelf is minimal.
There is the possibility of unusual parts and a specific rpm range.

20211203_190423.jpg

I don't see any discussion on cams here, no offence but give us a better example.
Until my friend recently retired I know of more than a dozen cams and lifters that were replaced at his shop just in the last year, even several flat tappet cams. No problems.
I could not find any info on pot metal cam shafts for cars or trucks, I did find a pot metal cam but it was not a ICE cam shaft. It seemed to be a part for a tractor fuel injector pump. :shrug:

The Chevrolet Dealership I work at is swamped with new Silverado's, Yukons and Suburbans with bad lifters and bent pushrods. The joke is when performing a PDI on a new vehicle it will be back for new lifters and pushrods before the first oil change is due.
But that is all due to GM's crappy cylinder deactivation system on the lifters than any problem with lifter or pushrod quality. There are probably 6-8 engines repaired per week at this dealership just for that issue. We could do more, but parts availability from GM limits us on the number of repairs made in any one week.
And this is in a town of 25-30K people. I can not imagine what the stats are in a larger population area.

Reactions: 1 users
IMHO Cylinder deactivation was a flop back then (1981) and it is a worse flop now
The technology is here, has been here for a while Pro Stock Engineering magna cups for instance
Glad you're still at it Bullitt347 and at Chevrolet
Have you driven any new Corvettes at work lately?
If I were younger and needed dough I would go work for Mercedes
Flog a few AMG's thru the curves
I don't see any discussion on cams here, no offence but give us a better example.
Until my friend recently retired I know of more than a dozen cams and lifters that were replaced at his shop just in the last year, even several flat tappet cams. No problems.
I could not find any info on pot metal cam shafts for cars or trucks, I did find a pot metal cam but it was not a ICE cam shaft. It seemed to be a part for a tractor fuel injector pump. :shrug:
Also you can check out google the problem Mercedes had when they outsourced (to China) Balance shaft production
Something as simple as an out of balance shaft that just rotates
China miffed that up too with metallurgy pot metal if you will
The gear disintegrates and check engine lamp on for CMP timing incorrect followed by lunched mill when the chain jumps time
I own 2 of those Benz's
I fixed one the other is a few years newer and has a different shaft supplier I hope

Ton of discussion about failed lifters and cams on a few other forums like Vintage Mustang and Ford Truck Enthusiasts
All just new stuff
Parts from Melling TRW Ford Chrysler and the like have all switched some manufacturing to China and will not disclose any of that easily
I found an old Crane Bumpstick for a 385 BB motor I am building and found matching old lifters too
I know a machinist who regrinds camshafts
Start with a good gigantor 909 blank

The Chevrolet Dealership I work at is swamped with new Silverado's, Yukons and Suburbans with bad lifters and bent pushrods. The joke is when performing a PDI on a new vehicle it will be back for new lifters and pushrods before the first oil change is due.
But that is all due to GM's crappy cylinder deactivation system on the lifters than any problem with lifter or pushrod quality. There are probably 6-8 engines repaired per week at this dealership just for that issue. We could do more, but parts availability from GM limits us on the number of repairs made in any one week.
And this is in a town of 25-30K people. I can not imagine what the stats are in a larger population area.
I just heard the same thing from a friend. He bought a new Siliverado "Redline" or wtf ever. It was a basic Silverado, and then they started mailing him the badges and decals as they came in. He had a lifter failure at under 5000 miles. From what I am trying to understand, the supply line was so messed up, that GM went to the company that makes the rear view mirrors, and asked if they could make the lifters and pushrods as well. It wasn't a displacement on demand problem, because due to the chip shortage, his truck didn't even come with the module that conrols the DOD. GM is going to service bulletin the truck when that computer is available.

I don't think this is going to be a major problem for the aftermarket. The cams and lifters made for the aftermarket from quality vendors are still produced domestically. I've actually watched the machine at Crane Cams cut a Ford lifter.

Kurt