4.2 crank/rods/pistons in a early non roller cam 3.8 v6 block ?

subgunmike

Sep 4, 2018
Ga
Does anyone here know for a fact that a 4.2 crank/rods/pistons will fit in a early (82- 87) non roller cam 3.8 v6 block ? I have read and been told by "experts" that yes it will work and no it will not work. Looking for info from someone that has tried it and has first hand information on the swap.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know for sure....but I do know that the early 2000 mustang 3.8 engines and transmissions are a direct swap...minus trimming the shifter hole about 1/2 inch. As cheap and plentiful as the early 2000 mustang v6s are in the JY I don't know why you would use the early 3.8.

The 4.2L stroker from a 3.8 interested me for a little while....until I found out how expensive it could get to be. I had a 84 3.8 mustang at the time. Cheaper to swap good 302 in it. More power and easier to find parts.

Thanks for the response, yeah I know other engines will bolt in but its not a piece of cake. I have a 1997 4.2 block and internals. None of the accessories will bolt up so I'd have to find p/s, alternator, a/c , etc and get that all worked out. Going to a 302 I'd just be better off getting a GT so I'd have the better brakes / rear. I wanted to keep it simple. This car is super clean and all original(to bad it wasn't a gt). It runs great, except for a rear main seal leak it really doesn't need anything. I'm not looking for a hot rod but I figured since I had the crank and rods I'd throw them in to get a bit more power if it will fit.

On another note, can anyone confirm the 3.8 has 1.6 rocker arms ? I believe the 4.2 has 1.7 and I am thinking of swapping the 1.6 for the 1.7's. Has anyone done this with these engines.

"...wanted to keep it simple..." once we start w/a lill mod it just grows exponentially. That's Y its called a project, no?
Wanna do an easy 1 day head swap project...
No likely. Place the 4.2 head on the 3.8 - a 20 yr upgrade from cfi to efi. Need the OBDII, engine harness, injectors, all that...no 1 sells, justa bear head, SOOL?