400HP 2V N/A....Going back to my roots....

• Sponsors (?)

Yel2002GTAuto

Sep 26, 2022
Maybe,,,,maybe not....but for those that remember me back in the day they said 350 NA on an auto wasn't possible...and hit that....running mid 11s on a daily driver NA was fun.. I talked to my old tuner... Pro-Dyno and he told me he had a couple 2v's hit 400 and 1 around 418 I believe...with mid 11 compression and strokers....I tested multiple intake and exhaust combos and he tuned all my setups so I know what works and doesnt so I know what the 4.6 2v is capable of....it seems 12.5 to 1 compression and dyno tune will run on pump gas 93 safely.... considering where my previous CR was at and cam profile it could have made between 380 to 390 on stock bore and stroke .if i went with a flat top piston....just not many people have tried...to see at 2v put down 500hp na on a stock bore with longer stroke, custom can, victor jr manifold and complete build was impressive...and that was at the tires....bigger bore and stroke with around 11.7 to 1 cr will get 400hp with correct cam through my auto.....
I will share as this gets built as I already talked to a few of the engine builder gurus out there and noted this is already achieved but no one really posted dyno graphs...... yes I am probably talking to myself at this point but I love to share and help others out...I have a ton of knowledge and experience with the 2v so it is just getting the right set up and little details...

Yel2002GTAuto

Sep 26, 2022
So found out something interesting...been watching the MHS videos on cam timing....back in the day....and even on my current setup ...I have been running PI Cams on my TFS heads.... according to MHS the PI cam event timing will be off....you need specific valve exhaust events for a TFS specific cam....as the PI cams are not designed to work properly with the TFS heads....could be off as much as 10 degrees on exhaust for example...I remember pro dyno trying to tune out low and mid range events for fuel trims and timing as something was always off...I degreed the cams on intake centerline but never checked the exhaust side...interesting....plus with my ported TFS heads I think on stock bore now with higher lift and 12.1 on pump gas could hit 380 to 385 based on proper alignment and correct valve events to match set up...

Yel2002GTAuto

Sep 26, 2022
Thinking with the 5.3l an average of 35 to 40 HP/Tq gold be gained in top of that...the math states 3 to 4% HP gain from each point of compression....with drivetrain loss of 15 to 18% through an auto....490 crank hp will be needed to hit 400 to tires...with correct under drive pulleys, aluminum driveshaft, and 9in 4k stall which I have, and 410s could put the car closer to 12 to 13% drive train loss with less rotational mass...would take around 460 to 465 crank hp yo hot 400 to tires...

Yel2002GTAuto

Sep 26, 2022
My 11.1 1 cr setup hit 355hp so the engine hp was between 408 to 418 for 15 to 18 percent drive train loss or 401 to 408 at crank with 13 to 15percent drive train loss.....with 4% bump for 1cr on current set up would put 369.2 to tires...and correct with correct cams with higher lift I estimate 10 to 15 hp more....this is online with most video tests I found on the 4.6l...so with a 12.5 to 1 cr and correct everything on stock bore and stoke 385 to 390ish would peg out with PI intake...I did see a corboratted victor jr hit 408 on stock bore and stoke with dedicated build to tires but did not like the curves for a street strip setup....in my opinion a 5 speed at race setup only would work with that combo

Last edited:

Yel2002GTAuto

Sep 26, 2022
Now factor in the 5.3l....correct cams, 12.1 cr, + 35 to 40ph over stock bore and stoke...410 to 420 hp to tires is possible with PI intake...or 460 to 490 hp crank hp..... it all comes down to compression, proper cams and timing, and having supporting parts to reduce drivetrain loss....just my thoughts and goals in the coming months...

Yel2002GTAuto

Sep 26, 2022
Soo update on my build/rebuild....

I have been trying to source a Boss Modular 5.0 block but it seems they have been backordered and won't be available until Mar-April time frame.... I ordered a new electric water pump, new brake calipers for front and rear, new interior and trunk carpet, new seat rail extenders, and will order new seats and MHS Stage 4 cams with degree service, along with timing chains and supporting rebuild mods....

When I get the new block sourced and start the build it will be with -9.75cc dished pistons which with a 44cc head, 3.701 Bore, and 3.750 stroke the compression should come out around 11.87 to 1 static.... This will be 93 octane friendly.... I will have my heads disassembled, cleaned, check the valves and valve springs and replace if needed and then focus on upgrading the fuel system.... replacing 30lbs injectors for 42lbs, upgrading to dual pump set up and upgrade fuel lines and rails ...

I have some parts getting custom painted again and just focusing on a total clean up and rebuild.... Adding in some bling this time under the hood but keeping the outside looking pretty much like stock with the exception of rims and smoked head lights ..... Still pulling the Driver Side Feder wells apart while cleaning and painting and then dropping the under carriage ..... I have a local shop that specializes in tranny work so I will get my stall converter refreshed for new innards for the 4000 stall, get my rotors turned and then start putting things back together..... I figure I will have all the clean up work done by new years and then start putting things back together....

I will keep my forged Teskid block for another project at a later date as I have a shell car I am looking to possibly start on in a year or so ....

I will update with pics periodically for any of you whom are interested...

Ed