'66 289 carburetor dilemma

oth

Jul 24, 2004
I've got a 66 289 and am not sure whether the engine is an A code or a C code because the tag is gone and key parts (like the intake manifold) are not original to the car (its part no. is C8AE-9425-B). I want a good stock carburetor for it (it's current 2v one is a mess) and am torn between the ponycarb. autolite 2100 and the autolite 4100. In terms of performance and reliability, is the 4100 worth the added expense of replacing the intake manifold?

Performance wise the 4100 will beat the 2 bbl every time. As for relaibility, both are the same there, the 4100 is just two 2100's put together. My choice for a good reliable 2 bbl would be a Holley 350 or 500 cfm 2 bbl over the Autolite 2100 any time.

My guess is that you have a C block. There is nothing wrong with that as most early Mustangs had that engine. What is your intention with the car? Do you want a reliable car or a HOTROD? Money is the only difference. I agree with D. Stay 2BBL. I have 312000+ miles on my 65 A block 4 speed and the only real modification I made was to go with Pertronix ignition. I just filled up last week after 283 miles and it took 9.3 gallons. You do the math.

Good luck!

MustangPaul said:
D--He is running two sails, too, and some solar power backup.

I feel good when I can get 18! (Down hill, in neutral, with the wind at my back.)

--Paul
Hills? When did they put in hills in Ponchatoula? Y'all got a new garbage dump ski area or somethin? I got 20 mpg out of a 69 E330 van once with a 302 and a Holley 500 2bbl. But that was between Cimarron and Clovis N.M. ( east bound, all down hill )

D.Hearne said:
Wait just a minute!!!, You must have one of those elusive secret carbs that made the rumor mill circuit 20 years or more ago. 30.4 MPG ? From a 289? How fast do you drive? 30-40 mph? What's the deal here?
D. 1965 A b- Edel 1405 - T-10 - 3.00 Auburn in the back- 205/70/R14 - plugs at .035- Pertronix ignition - BCTC 7 - single vacuum advance - compression was 125/128 last time I checked. That 140 MPH thing in the middle of my dash I have buried it. DSO San Jose. Isn't that where they got in trouble???
D. It's real. Why ????? My Kitty gets 9 mpg on a good day.

I commute to work each day at 35 miles. Three stop lights and four stop signs. All 55 mph.

I used to get 24 mpg on the highway in my 66 coupe driving very conservatively at 55mph. The mods were a 4 bbl, Try-Ys with full 2" duals, and a good distributor. The car had a C-4 with 3.00 gears out back. I'm not sure about 30mpg with a stock A-code and 4 spd though, it doesn't sound believable to me. Maybe your speedometer is off some, that would be my guess.