Progress Thread 67coupe’s 89 LX - Dyno Vid

• Sponsors (?)

That’s what I thought. Was hoping we could do less since there’s no orange peel.

We’ll probably do it today while the paints still soft.

No, Wait until it fully cures, if not there’s a chance it’ll die back and then your having to sand and polish it again.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
That’s what I thought. Was hoping we could do less since there’s no orange peel.

If there’s no orange peel just sand the dust out of it, but don’t do it for at least a few days.

• Agree

The only problem you’ll have doing that is as the clear hardens, the sand scratches will come back.

I’d wait a week before nib and buffing if I were you.

• Agree
The only problem you’ll have doing that is as the clear hardens, the sand scratches will come back.

Ok. Y’all have convinced me to wait.

Another question. How long should we wait to install engine bay components? I’m mainly concerned with the caster camber plates on the freshly painted strut towers.

Yep, nib and buff. Didn’t know that NIB was a term every paint and body guy used. NIB and buff, Nice Dave!!

Last edited:
Ok, I'll bite, what's NIB? Are you just knocking the dirt particles off?
Nib's are little pieces of foreign matter that get into the paint while it's wet. Typically can be sanded out in the cut and buff stage.

Unless he means " New in Box", which is what nib always meant to me.?

Id imagine that sanding and buffing will change the status of that "nib" in a hurry too.

• Agree
A NIB is a piece of dust that lands in your clear coat while it’s wet, then dries in the clear coat. Your can sand those out with some 1200 grit. You have to sand those out first before you “cut” and buff it, or else you’ll have to go back and NIB it. NIBBING is what you have do before you sand and buff. Different operation.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Honestly fellas, I don't know where the term nib or nibbing came from. I've just used it for decades. Sanding out the trash in a paint job in the seventies was called nibbing. The little pieces of dirt were called nibs.

It's also the point of a pen, i don't mean that.

Black Sabbath had a song called NIB, i don't mean that either.

We've never referred to it as a jip (or jib as JR would have it).

This is my subculture, you don't like the words we use, join another subculture.:gtfo:

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Honestly fellas, I don't know where the term nib or nibbing came from. I've just used it for decades. Sanding out the trash in a paint job in the seventies was called nibbing. The little pieces of dirt were called nibs.

It's also the point of a pen, i don't mean that.

Black Sabbath had a song called NIB, i don't mean that either.

We've never referred to it as a jip (or jib as JR would have it).

This is my subculture, you don't like the words we use, join another subculture.:gtfo:

Yep the word NIB is just part of the bodyshop world.

Spent some time on the 93 yesterday. We were able to sand most of the dust particles out. There’s one or two left that are clearly in the sealer coat or the base coat. My friend (car owner) is fine with it. So I guess we’ll leave it as is. It still looks really good. Lesson learned for the rest of the car. Picture below is of the good side.

05553660-05EB-409B-86B1-81B3B160AEEB.jpeg

504A0C25-0FD2-46F4-B8CD-1B1277962B74.jpeg

Started installing engine bay components. Haven’t mentioned it until now. But we also did a rear disk upgrade before all the disassembly for paint. Installed a 94-95 v6 booster, cobra master cylinder and the necessary 3 to 2 port conversion.

544FFDB7-821C-4C10-83B1-C791B46D8AAB.jpeg

CC plates are back on. All brake lines are in and we’ve started installing the wiring and the rest of the engine bay accessories.

Going to bleed the brakes, install my old steering rack and MM steering shaft (more on that below) and then we’ll be installing the engine! Should be a good day.

After the cobra swap, my AGR steering rack became so over assisted the car was kinda scary to drive at its power level. I’m assuming the 4.6 power steering pump operates at higher pressures because of the hydro boost. At any rate, I’ve had the the SN95/Crobra rack upgrade on my list for a while. Picked up a remanded 03-04 cobra steering rack.

E1A9E69D-B345-44F7-94C6-3B5522F59EB1.jpeg

It’s a Cardone 22-2000. The housing is stamped SJ. Hopefully is has the correct internals (t-bar, limiters, ratio). Worst case SJ checks out as a V8 rack. From what I’ve read it’s still a major improvement for both assist and on center feel.

Last edited:
Another long but productive day.

AGR steering rack and MM shaft were installed.

C7AC85FC-62DB-43FD-9C51-175F8A7267A5.jpeg

Engine bay ready to accept the motor.

9B346079-0D70-43E9-B3F4-67951CDC6A49.jpeg

We took our time installing the engine. Didnt want to scratch the freshly painted engine bay and...

313EFBC5-8225-4642-AFD2-4CF795724F22.jpeg

We got it done without a scratch! A little stressful at times. Just went slow and took our time.

Next up: clean up the wiring and we’ll probably paint the valve covers and intake.

Reactions: 3 users