'68 Power steering problems

Well Installed the last of my new control valves, (thats make the forth new control vavle.) Still the same problem, made sure the measurement was 4 7/8". the last one was installed at 4 3/4" thought that might be the problem but it did not help. Any other ideas?????? Sold my original ford valve, that what was stupid!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I would make sure the spool in the control valve is able to move smoothly. I had one that would stick and it turned out that there were burrs on the edges of the spool. I cleaned it up a little with super fine sandpaper and put it back together, making sure it moved OK. It works beautifully.

Well you made me look in the book...:nonono:

Could it be you're not installing it correctly?
Do you have the 4 7/8 inch from control center stud to spindle connecting rod stud?
Have you installed the roll pin in the rod hole to lock the valve position on the rod?

The control valve centering spring adjust, tighten nut snug (90-100 in-lbs)
back nut off 1/4 turn .

If you missed any of these steps, it might be your cause to the problem.

PB

Hi,

Could some one explain the details behind the measurement of 4 and 7/8th inches, I understand the this is measured from the middle of the grease nipple on the control valve to where ? I am not sure what the spindle connecting rod stud is, any help would be appreciated,

thanks

I’m having power steering problems with my ’68 mustang. The pump is new, I have installed three different control valves, and the power cylinder is new. The problem that I’m having is that when I turn the steering wheel back and forth, everything (front wheels, steering wheel, & all steering components starts shaking real bad. Any ideas would help. Thanks
Posting this for folks still interested in possible causes. Just installed Hydratech pwr brake system, new PS pump. Also replaced pwr strg cylinder bushings and boot . After a few miles the inside cylinder bushing split and caused steering shudder. Replaced both bushings with $5 shock kit and no more shudder. Bought boot and bushing kit from CJPP.