75TH ANNIVERSARY OF HOT ROD ICONS -- THE '32 "DEUCE" AND FIRST MASS-PRODUCED V8

89SportVert

Jun 29, 2002
Vancouver, WA
<TABLE align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
Deuce_Logo.jpg
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  • Nicknamed the “Deuce,” the ’32 Ford became the quintessential hot rod – symbol of youthful automotive enthusiasm and American ingenuity
  • Ford’s 1932 models offered the first mass-produced V-8 engine – the “flathead”
  • The 1932 Fords’ style and performance made it the foundation for vehicle personalization and the automotive aftermarket
  • Ford will utilize the anniversary of its iconic 1932 model to celebrate the company’s performance and styling leadership – which continues to this day.
DEARBORN, Michigan, August 21, 2005 – The 1932 Ford, the car that brought style and performance to the mass market and went on to become the quintessential hot rod nicknamed the “Deuce,” will celebrate its 75 th anniversary in 2007. Ford will participate in celebrating the ‘32’s impact on automotive enthusiasm and culture with a display of the 75 most influential and important 1932 Ford hot rods, as selected by a panel of experts. The display will premiere at the January, 2007 Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona , Calif. , the nation’s oldest annual hot rod show.

“The 1932 Ford continues to have a tremendous impact on many aspects of the automotive world and on contemporary culture,” said Larry Erickson, Ford Motor Company chief designer. “It was a landmark car for Ford Motor Company; beginning a period of styling dominance for the company and, most significantly, offering the world’s first mass-produced V8 engine. Then, years after its introduction, the ’32 Ford played a major role in another revolution – the development of the hot rod. These cast-off cars, built in backyards and small garages, performed far beyond their original capabilities and often rivaled the performance of the best in the world. Hot rods are a uniquely American form of automotive expression.”

The ’32 Ford hot rod has been immortalized in a number of movies, including American Graffiti, and songs like the Beach Boys “Little Deuce Coupe,” by Brian Wilson and Roger Christian, with the lyrics:

Well I’m not braggin’ babe so don’t put me down
But I’ve got the fastest set of wheels in town
When something comes up to me he don’t even try
Cause if I had set of wings man I know she could fly
She’s my little deuce coupe
You don’t know what I got

The “75 Most Influential ’32 Ford Hot Rods” will be selected by a blue-ribbon committee of automotive authorities across a variety of fields. Museum participants include: Greg Sharp, curator, Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum ; Philip Linhares, chief curator of art, Oakland Museum of California and Dick Messer, director, Petersen Automotive Museum .

Authors and journalists on the committee include Steve Coonan, publisher, The Rodder’s Journal; John Dianna, publisher, American Rodder; Kevin Elliott, editor of the British publication, Custom Car; Pat Ganahl, journalist and author of “Hot Rods & Cool Customs,” “Von Dutch: the Man, Myth & Legend,” and “Ford Performance;” Robert Genat, author, “Hot Rod Milestones,” “Little Deuce Coupe” and “The Birth of Hot Rodding;” Ken Gross, journalist, author of “Hot Rod Milestones” and chief judge of the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance hot rod class; Mark Morton, publisher, Hop Up; Tony Thacker, author, “’32 – The Deuce;” and Tom Vogele, vice president/group publisher, Primedia.

Car builders, designers and enthusiasts participating include musician and hot rod collector Jeff Beck; Roy Brizio, Brizio Street Rods; Pete Chapouris, So-Cal Speed Shop; legendary hot rodders Ray Brown, Pete Eastwood, Blackie Gejeian, Jim “Jake” Jacobs and Thom Taylor; Jerry Kugel, Kugel Komponents; show promoter Robert Larivee, Sr.; Barry Lobeck, V8 Shop; Gary Meadors, Goodguys Rod & Custom Association, and builder/historian David Simard.

“The list of ’32 Ford hot rods produced by this committee will be definitive,” said Erickson. “We’ll reveal the panel’s selections at the January, 2006 Grand National Roadster Show, in lead-up to the display of actual cars at the 2007 anniversary show. Having these landmark vehicles together in one place for the first time will be an historic event.”

A number of other events along with books honoring the 1932 Ford are planned and in production. Ford’s list and display of the “75 Most Influential ’32 Ford Hot Rods” is being designed to support and integrate with these other efforts. Ford will utilize the anniversary of its iconic 1932 model to celebrate the company’s performance and styling leadership – which continues to this day. Tentative plans call for versions of the display to be campaigned at multiple events including the Wally Parks NHRA Museum , Petersen Automotive Museum , Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA) show and the Los Angeles International Auto Show.

• Sponsors (?)

.... humming in the background.....

She's got a competition clutch, with four on the floor
and she purrs like a kitten till my lakes pipes roar
and if that aint enough to make you flip your lid,
theres one more thing Ive got the pink slip daddy

And coming off the line when the light turns green,
she throws alotta ........ like you never seen,
I get pushed outa shape and shes hard to steer
when I get rubber in all four gears
shes my little duce coupe, you dont know what I got.....

And the trivia award will go to you if you know this one:

Well it happened on a strip where the road is wide,
two cool shorts standin side by side
my ................................. (that would give it away)

DD
:flag: :nice: