Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new dinse connector finally shipped. I ordered it quite awhile ago. Took Weldfabulous over a week to ship it after taking my money. Oh well, “free shipping” has it’s price too.

So, why should you care? Because I’m obsessive/compulsive.
C972ADDB-6300-42B6-B0C3-7C64FBBAD1E9.jpeg

I had to get this connector before I could practice with my new welder.

Next step will be to bring Booger to The Murder House.

So, maybe two weeks and I’ll be playing with my car instead of looking at memes :nonono: .
73A8C528-CA1E-425B-89DF-35B19F486F49.jpeg
Oh what Dave does now with his new found freedom :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

My new dinse connector finally shipped. I ordered it quite awhile ago. Took Weldfabulous over a week to ship it after taking my money. Oh well, “free shipping” has it’s price too.

So, why should you care? Because I’m obsessive/compulsive.
C972ADDB-6300-42B6-B0C3-7C64FBBAD1E9.jpeg

I had to get this connector before I could practice with my new welder.

Next step will be to bring Booger to The Murder House.

So, maybe two weeks and I’ll be playing with my car instead of looking at memes :nonono: .
73A8C528-CA1E-425B-89DF-35B19F486F49.jpeg
58530216.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Woohoo!

My new dinse connector got here today!

It turned out to be sixty bucks, still, I thought kind of pricey for a freaking connector.

Now that I have it though, it's a beautifully crafted piece, I am impresssed with the details.

Anyhow, pictures with the torch attached next to the chinee crap.
IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

Welding this weekend my brothers! Yay!

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
I don't know about you other guys and how you handle the heat when summer comes around. For me, the first really hot day makes me a bit sick (heat exhaustion is what it really is).

Friday was our first really hot day for me this year, 95* and 85% humidity and lots of work. The booth got up to 112* by the time I got to the last paint job for the day.

So I've spent a lot of the weekend just laying around drinking a bunch of non alcoholic fluids :)eek:). I usually run a fever and everything. It's been like that for the last 20-25 years for me. I'm fine after that initial break in day and a couple days recovery.

But I did have what I needed to start welding again......sooooooo I spent a couple hours setting up the new welder and playing a bit.

Here's my new welder with my brother's welder, all I can say is.......mine's bigger.
IMG_0606.JPG

Here it is all connected. I bought my brother's argon cylinder from him for $150. He only wanted a hundred, but i felt like I would be taking advantage of him for that amount.
IMG_0608.JPG

No pictures of welding, I didn't have any new coupons to use so it would be hard to show you what it can do.

Though I did get to play quite a bit with the d.c. pulse mode. I tried different "frequencies" of the pulse mode. From about 10 hertz to about 50. Ten is very annoying and I could see how it could set off seizures in people.

Around 35-40 hertz seemed ideal for welding along the edge of the thin steel I have (.026). I hardly burnt through any of the edge. The welder was pulsing between 20 and 50 amps. I think I could lower the down side of the pulse to maybe 5-10 amps and done even better.

This week I'll try out the super slow pulsing, like .5 hertz to 3 hertz to see how that does.

In all though, the d.c. pulse makes the difference for a smooth weld on thin metal. It almost feels like I'm cheating in some weird way.

I also got my old belt sander that I used to make knives with for sharpening the tungstens. Best move ever! sharpens those bad boys right up in seconds.
IMG_0609.JPG

I found a place that sells welding coupons, so I ordered a crapload to use to practice.

The goal is to bring Booger here the weekend after next, so I need to be a busy little boy playing with the welder for the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: 3 users
Today I received my box of welding coupons. That only took nine days shipping from Vegas :nonono: Why so long?
IMG_0586.JPG

I'll weld all over them starting tomorrow.
IMG_0621.JPG

I wanted to bring Booger home this coming weekend, but the two friends I have that own trailers are "busy" doing family stuff for the weekend.........family...........
IMG_0938.JPG

So next weekend then.

Here's something we haven't had in the shop in awhile. A '93 coupe.
IMG_0620.JPG

A guy bought this for his son and paid another shop for a paint job. Got a fifty footer though. We'll be fixing it up and I'll shoot it complete. It'll be kind of fun for me.

Reactions: 4 users
Today I received my box of welding coupons. That only took nine days shipping from Vegas :nonono: Why so long?
IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

I wanted to bring Booger home this coming weekend, but the two friends I have that own trailers are "busy" doing family stuff for the weekend.........family...........
IMG_0938.JPG

So next weekend then.

IMG_0620.JPG

A guy bought this for his son and paid another shop for a paint job. Got a fifty footer though. We'll be fixing it up and I'll shoot it complete. It'll be kind of fun for me.
If that's a fifty footer....then,.......man...

The Monster has become a binoculo- footer...you can't stand far enough away to NOT see the stuff I've fcked up.

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

So next weekend then.

IMG_0620.JPG

Are they sticking with red Dave? What else are you guys doing to it?

I wish my dad would buy me one of those AND pay to get it painted. :cry:

Is it a Coyote swap? The 5.0 badge looks like a Coyote badge.
It was a four banger, swapped out an explorer 5.0.
Are they sticking with red Dave? What else are you guys doing to it?
Yes to red. Which I’m in favor of.

Clean up the previous bodywork, fix pealing paint, just make it nice.

Any chance you'll be documenting the Red 93's transformation under the watchful eye and bionic spray hand of @Davedacarpainter ?
I can show what I do to it if y’all are interested.

It might be another week or so before it gets over to me. Body techs are slow and lazy :nice:

Reactions: 1 users
So I had today off. I gotta work tomorrow. Cash cow is paying, gotta milk it while it's here.

Next Saturday though, by Gripthor's Hammer, Booger will be crammed in my little garage at The Murder House.

I'll post stuff about a car I own, that'll be different.

I've got a plan of what I'll do for the next seven projects.

Meanwhile back in realville, I've been doing serious consideration about the drivetrain. It'll be pricey no matter which way I go.

I'll begin saving $500+ per month towards the drivetrain. I'm establishing an initial budget of $20k for it. My plan is to save ten and get ten in credit. Realistically? It'll take me a year and a half to save that chunk of change. I have a totally separate account for those funds.....the Booger Account.

Luckily I have enough stuff to keep me busy for the next eighteen months. I want the body to be done before I drop in the drivetrain.

So, I really want the Z460 Ford Performance engine. FPP has come out with a new drivetrain offer that's pretty interesting though. A Gen III coyote with a T56 Magnum to include a Quicktime bellhousing and a control pack for $15K. Kind of interesting.

Let's say I get a Z460 and I find myself bored with a mere 575/575 after a short period of time. What do I do? Well, with the forged internals I have a talk with Jeff @TOOLOW91 and discuss an SC with 14 PSI. Lol. 1100hp and torque might keep me happy!

If I get bored with the coyote's power, I would have to tear it down, buy forged everything and take my chances.

So I can't say I'll be welding the right side chassis support in next weekend or not, but Booger will be in my garage telling me to get to work again!

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.