Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Alright, I’m in the garage.

I’m going to start with the difficult one first. If you remember the driver’s side on Doby, I had to contend with the curved frame rail. Same thing here. I’ll do it differently this time and take care of that early on.
94FF54A6-D337-44A8-A2AC-48046F965F01.jpeg
3C9CC8F1-9A0A-4E55-913E-A0A3C8111199.jpeg

I’ll post more pictures of what I’ll do a little later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ok, taking a cool off break.

I got the left side tack welded.
IMG_4453.JPG

Then I dealt with the curvature of the frame rail. I did pretty much the same thing that I did with Doby. I tacked the ends of the frame rail, then took a cut off wheel and made a slice down the edge.
IMG_4454.JPG

Then I clamped the vertical section to the frame.
IMG_4455.JPG

And tack welded that part.
IMG_4456.JPG

Then I ground the edge back to follow the contour of the frame rail and tacked that edge.
IMG_4457.JPG

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users
Looks like fun Dave. For some weird reason I wish I was doing that to my car, even though it doesn’t need it. Although I do like the smoothed panels. It’s coming together fast.

Reactions: 1 user
I finished the right side. I'm tired.:cry:

IMG_4462.JPG
IMG_4461.JPG

That's it for today.

Tomorrow I'll finally weld that little firewall brace in. I'll reinforce the clutch cable hole as well.

I got to do something a little different tomorrow as well. The floor pan I got for Booger is for '87^ fox bodies. I'm going to need to modify the parking brake handle area. So I'm going to disconnect the parking brake and use my reciprocating saw to cut out that portion of the transmission tunnel.

The new pan is at work, I'll modify it there next week.

Then, THEN! I'm going to be slinging mud in the engine bay! Woohoo! I will start with the firewall and work my way forward. I can't imagine I'll get more than the firewall done.

Bright side? Maybe by next weekend I can start working on replacing the floorpan!:banana:

I welded in my reinforcement plate, then I cut out the emergency brake handle area out of the floor pan. I’ll take it to work with me tomorrow and do the modification on the new floor pan.

You can see in the picture that the eb mounting point is a little towards the right side for four I’d floorpans.
D1618AE2-0221-49AE-AD89-D12C770C558C.jpeg

I spent the last couple of hours working on the firewall. I got kind of pooped, so I quit after I got the mudwork pretty well done.

I still have to finish the edges, straighten a couple lines and glaze it though. Since I didn't want to do that now I etch primered over the bondo' d areas. This will protect the bare metal underneath the bondo from rust for right now.
IMG_4465.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
That's not right...that firewall looks better than any part of my car! And here I thought you were just going to blow today off and drink beer!
He drank beer as he was doing it droopie, cmon.
You're both right Drew, Blake. I'm blowing the rest of the day off and I'm drinking beer now.......

Status
Not open for further replies.