Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok, updates. My sister’s cancer is stage two and the doctors are very hopeful for a good outcome. Yay!:taco:

After not having a personal physician for over twenty years I figured it was time for me to get one and go have a wellness check done.

I’ve got high blood pressure, no surprise there. I’m on meds for that now.

I get to go to a proctologist soon and have that end checked out. I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to that:cry:.

I got a spot on my left lung that I’ll have to have a little further study done on. I think it’s just a scar from when I had pneumonia about ten years ago. Kind of explains a persistent cough I’ve had for awhile. I’m not coughing up blood and I’ve had that cough since I guess I had pneumonia. Kind of makes me think it’s not cancer, ten years with lung cancer normally would mean I would have died about eight years ago, lol. Plus it’s real low in the lung, lung cancer is normally in the upper areas.

Enough of the doctor stuff. I’ve been talking to the guys at work about working on my car at the murder house. I believe they have me convinced enough to drag booger over there.

This weekend I’m going to unpack all of the garage stuff and make it neat and orderly. This will tell me if I have the room for booger or not. I’m really wanting there to be room so I may do a little “creative” storage solutions for all of my crap.:chin

The garage is tiny, but a fox mustang isn’t a large vehicle.

I’m pretty sure this is going to happen. I’ll keep y’all updated on how it goes. Hopefully within a month I can be working on him again.

Weekends are mine now to do with as the whims hit me. If I just happen to nod off under booger while working on him due to a possible overconsumption of a beverage or two, who cares? Yay!:cheers:

Btw, I closed on the old house yesterday. One of two 800lb gorillas off my back in the last couple of months.:mg:

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users
What the...

That's fine then. I'll just save this for later:

kick puppy.gif

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
Ok, the garage/booger thing is going to work. It was 17* out this morning so I didn’t get a lot done on the cleaning up of the garage, but I did figure out where to put everything!

Sometimes I’m a little slower than others. So, I pull booger out of storage, right? Where should I put all of the extra bs in the garage right now? DUH-UHR! In the storage unit where booger is currently comfortably sitting. Sometimes the brain synapses don’t fire off like they should.

Since I’m bound to be playing with booger again, I got to thinking about the 315’s and the IRS again.

I’m really thinking I’m going to do the outward wheel tubbing. I’ve been studying pictures of the Maier flares a lot. I really like their looks.

Thing is, I’m not sure how I’ll shape it. The flares will be done out of metal, mostly the original skin. Do I want to have the convex look of the maier flares? Or more of a concave look that’ll blend in more smoothly as the quarters reach the doors and rear bumper?

So, probably a modified version with concave and convex curves. I know I want to keep the main body line where the pinstripes are. I’ll need to decide where to remove the quarter outer panel.

I’ll have to add two inches in the tub, this is probably the easiest part of the whole thing.

I want to keep the quarter and rocker separate and still extend the rocker where it meets up to the wheel well area and form it into the stock dimensions along with the quarter.

I can’t wait to get started on this mod. The trick will be to duplicate the right and left sides.

So then, I’ll get the right side chassis support welded in first, then I’ll dive into the quarters.

Here’s a couple pictures of maier flares and booger’s right quarter just to freshen up you guy’s memories.
691A0675-5355-401C-A5CE-1010040A5EBF.jpeg
A7D8C8F1-DE04-4348-8961-398E332D5D54.jpeg
446F1D01-13E3-42F5-BBC4-BC159B99BE8D.jpeg

This is a three inch flare, larger than the two I want, also larger than the 1.5” ones above. The area above the body line is what I’m focusing on in this picture.
2C2D3AD1-D4C2-418B-8AA0-50C725AE9DE3.jpeg

I want the tubbing to blend in nicely into the sail panel and also be smooth into the door.

Also I wat the fuel door to be functional.

Reactions: 2 users
The flares if blended properly will look good I think. I do not however like the riveted on versions you linked. They look like a bandaid to do what they're intended to do...Make a "too wide" tire fit.
I'm confident that you'll make it look good .

And now that I think about it...

The last " Wide body" fox mustang I saw at a show got panned by the Internet critics. I liked the car, but the royal hoard of the me too's didn't. This guy did something like the bottom pic, but squared off the rear transitions. The end result looked like a kit. ( probably was)
I tried to google MW12 pics to see if I could link a pic, but all I could find that was familiar was pics of my junker.
Occasionally, I consider pushing the quarters out on the Monster, and I would just cut along the body line and " bulge" the sheetmetal. I'd make a metal filler to fill in the gap,...( it would look something like that bottom pic you linked, only nowhere near as exaggerated)
I don't know why I'm even saying all of this,...ill never do that to the car.

Last edited:
And now that I think about it...

The last " Wide body" fox mustang I saw at a show got panned by the Internet critics. I liked the car, but the royal hoard of the me too's didn't. This guy did something like the bottom pic, but squared off the rear transitions. The end result looked like a kit. ( probably was)
I tried to google MW12 pics to see if I could link a pic, but all I could find that was familiar was pics of my junker.
Oh yeah, the critics, lol.

Can you imagine the hate coming my way for doing that to a t-top coupe?

That’s ok, I’m giving them advanced warning right now. If they want, they can give me a lot of money right now and save booger from me and return him to Melvin status.

I want this to look really nice, no cheesiness. Plus I have time to blend it in nicely.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m also thinking on how to not make it look like a Capri quarter.....:chin
Well that would be my thoughts..my idea would look exactly like a Capri quarter. (Or a Mitsubishi Starion take your pick)
pliner0190mq7_zps6s8cjuey.jpg

Ha,...this is 2003...I'm calling it a Raptor before some goob at Ford came up with the idea to name a pickup that way..

But think of it this way,....Mercury Never made a Capri Notch...:think::thinking:

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the critics, lol.

Can you imagine the hate coming my way for doing that to a t-top coupe?

That’s ok, I’m giving them advanced warning right now. If they want, they can give me a lot of money right now and save booger from me and return him to Melvin status.

I want this to look really nice, no cheesiness. Plus I have time to blend it in nicely.
It’s not like you’d be doing it to a pristine example. We all saw the state of this car before it was fortunate enough to fall into your hands.

If the “critics” don’t like it, tell them to restore their own t-top coupe. They’re still out there.

I’m also thinking on how to not make it look like a Capri quarter.....:chin
When I say "how to not make it like a capri quarter", I'm mainly focusing on retaining the wheel opening flare of the mustang instead of the more slab sided look of a capri wheel opening. Then blend it all in with the two inch flaring.
IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG

I kind of accept it'll have a reminiscent look of the capri, but i want it understood it's mustang.

love the idea! I like the madmax riveted look..:shrug: Mike will have to forgive me on that one, I say F*CK the critics not there car. Do as you will Dave we will be right here along for the ride, I like the idea of doing the capri like flare but keeping the mustang look. maybe a mix of the two bump the quarter out and see what it will look like.

love the idea! I like the madmax riveted look..:shrug: Mike will have to forgive me on that one, I say F*CK the critics not there car. Do as you will Dave we will be right here along for the ride, I like the idea of doing the capri like flare but keeping the mustang look. maybe a mix of the two bump the quarter out and see what it will look like.
I won't be doing the bolted on/riveted look. Those are that way because of the plastic or fiberglass panels.

I'm not too worried about the critics. I'm building this for me.

Had this been a cherry t-top coupe i probably wouldn't have done most of what i've done.

Reactions: 1 users
Dave, check out this thread where a guy on the other forum did flares made out of metal that I think would be the look you're going for... I'll volunteer to buy them for my car and you can come down here and practice installing them on mine... I won't even charge you for letting you learn how to do it.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/road-racing-auto-x/1968906-steel-fender-flares.html

And here's the ebay link to where to buy them.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=162772048423

Last edited:
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.