Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Chassis support, or we could call it a web support? Or we could call it Henry?
I assume you are referring to your matrix style SF connector as a "chassis support?"

You're just creating names for parts of your car that you have built then?:cautious:

And "Chassis Support" is the best you can do on a car you call booger?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It’s green and shiny, pretty exciting, huh?
867D134D-6BFC-46AA-903F-3F466C2370F9.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
The rocker chip guard is a nice touch.

Is there any possibility of moisture ingress on the top side of the open ends that will face the frame rail? I'm assuming you won't be able to get that area with a welder since there is paint all the way to the edge. Seam sealer?

The rocker chip guard is a nice touch.

Is there any possibility of moisture ingress on the top side of the open ends that will face the frame rail? I'm assuming you won't be able to get that area with a welder since there is paint all the way to the edge. Seam sealer?
Yes sir John, seam sealer across the top.

Yes sir John, seam sealer across the top.
What I wanna know is, How are you gonna keep your pretty green paint "pretty" when you apply the heat that welding's gonna generate?
And...doesnt it make sense that if you're gonna over-engineer the hell out of that chassis support, aren't you cheating your design by not welding the jacking rail against the floor at the top, or spot welding through the floor on top of it?
How are you gonna get the top of the rail that isp

Seems like a bulldozer with pinto engine kinda thing.

What I wanna know is, How are you gonna keep your pretty green paint "pretty" when you apply the heat that welding's gonna generate?
And...doesnt it make sense that if you're gonna over-engineer the hell out of that chassis support, aren't you cheating your design by not welding the jacking rail against the floor at the top, or spot welding through the floor on top of it?
How are you gonna get the top of the rail that isp

Seems like a bulldozer with pinto engine kinda thing.
I understand what you're thinking Mike. The strength of the rocker pinch weld area is the pinch weld itself though.

I agree there is the odd chance that the jacking rail could flex away from the floor and effectively "bend" the pinch weld area. I just didn't think it was too likely with the web bracing between rails and the welding to the sfc's.

I'm thinking I'm ok unless I go apesht and want to try four digit power.

Oh yeah, weld question. I'll sand those areas back down since I have to go back and paint the bottoms surfaces anyhow. I'll post pictures when I do that. Within the next month or so.

Moving is in my immediate future though. Life is complicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As stated before, things are complicated.

Either I'll be back after Booger in about two months or one year. Regardless, two months from now I'll be doing the happy dance.

Tomorrow I'm taking my kids to see the new Harry Potter movie, that'll be a fun break.

Within the next two weeks I will be posting a picture with Booger back on wheels since he'll need to be moved to a happier home.

I will never marry again, I have proven to myself my complete lack of discernment in choosing a compatible mate. No more betrayals, no more lies.

I'm not a misogynist, just an idiot. Women are fine, I'm stupid.

I may die alone someday, but it will be with a smile on my face and a good strong beer in each hand! lol

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.