Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Sure....for all we know you picked those wheels up from a crackhead and made that story up! You should have said, "Look I am on this online car forum full of A-holes and they will give me endless :poo: unless I can take at least one picture to prove this story."

Reactions: 1 user
Back to Booger.

I drilled the thirty spot weld holes along the pinch weld. That about wore me out! It’s three layers thick by the rear wheel.

Enough whining, I also fitted the cs back in and marked the sfc for weld cleaning. I also marked the cs for the pinch welds. Then sprayed weld thru primer and cleaned the immediate weld area clean on the jr.
0DB9F756-8973-471B-9969-B37DD029D058.jpeg
7F4AC56C-07F8-4716-8FEE-C66929DD7724.jpeg

Then I fit it back up for the last time and threw a few welds on it to keep it there.
AB6CB2EA-9BF4-4113-8AE4-929757112648.jpeg
AB33C086-CF44-44B5-B798-EB0B25B8C7A4.jpeg

Then cleaned up and quit for today.

Reactions: 4 users
Notice the immediate deflection from the celebrity story
Heck, I don’t know how big of a celebrity he might be for everyone else.

I was just a dirt track fan back in the sixties. Loud noisy things were cool to me back then (or were they boss?).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I didn’t get much done tonight, I’m pretty tired after work.

I did the spot welds along the rocker.
886A14D0-4054-4FF7-8298-219696AB10F4.jpeg

These were very frustrating. There’s something between the layers of the inner an outer rocker. I’m not sure if it’s a seam sealer or what.

It didn’t matter how clean the metal was on the outside, I got lots of popping. I mean it’s welded solid now, just frustrating not to get a simple pretty rosette weld.

@CarMichael Angelo what was it like when you welded your pinch weld and jr?

I didn’t get much done tonight, I’m pretty tired after work.

I did the spot welds along the rocker.
886A14D0-4054-4FF7-8298-219696AB10F4.jpeg

These were very frustrating. There’s something between the layers of the inner an outer rocker. I’m not sure if it’s a seam sealer or what.

It didn’t matter how clean the metal was on the outside, I got lots of popping. I mean it’s welded solid now, just frustrating not to get a simple pretty rosette weld.

@CarMichael Angelo what was it like when you welded your pinch weld and jr?
Exactly the same...volcanic blobs of molten steel dripping off, and exploding on the floor.....big fun was had by me let me tell you.
I think you're right, I think there is some kinda fungoo in between the layers.
I riveted through that pinch weld on the red car,..but then I had that big stupid rivet gun back then,...it broke doing all of the rivets. But they look way better than the welds imo.

Exactly the same...volcanic blobs of molten steel dripping off, and exploding on the floor.....big fun was had by me let me tell you.
I think you're right, I think there is some kinda fungoo in between the layers.
I riveted through that pinch weld on the red car,..but then I had that big stupid rivet gun back then,...it broke doing all of the rivets. But they look way better than the welds imo.
Yeah, these welds will spend quality time with the grinder.

I was planning to smooth the pinch weld area anyhow, lol. Now I just have additional inspiration to do that.

I went and got my son's new wheels.

The guy selling them is a guy named Jimmy Parsons.

So we get to talking about my project and he asks if I want to see some of his work, why not?

Turns out this guy is Jimmy Parsons the race car driver from the sixties and seventies! Real nice guy, Spectacular work shop!

His wife is a nurse and fabricates cars on the side. I mean fabricates!

A chopped and channeled '57 chevy with a c6 chassis under it here, a totally btchin' split window bug over there. Old race cars in stunning condition all around, a hot rod t-bucket with a wild flathead engine that he drove from coast to coast!

His wife is a bit of a mustang nut:nice:. She loves fox bodies, yet she showed me a '66 she totally customized.

They're both near genius in metal work.

Wow, I need to get to know them better.

Again, to top it off. It's Jim Parsons! I remember him from when I was a little boy.

I didn't feel right about asking to take pictures, so nothing to show.

What a cool craigslist add that turned out to be.

Wonder if he had any Yates motors sitting around. :scratch:

Wonder if he had any Yates motors sitting around. :scratch:
I'm fairly confident his engines he has are pre-yates days, lol.

His wife had a 460 that she had put into a fox sitting on a stand. That was interesting. Cool engine, but what a massive pig! (The engine, not his wife.......she was, how do I say it, not unattractive?)

I'm fairly confident his engines he has are pre-yates days, lol.

His wife had a 460 that she had put into a fox sitting on a stand. That was interesting. Cool engine, but what a massive pig! (The engine, not his wife.......she was, how do I say it, not unattractive?)

...but welds and haz motorzes. :chin

• Agree
No pictures tonight.

Ok, maybe this. This is my new iphone X wireless charger! Who knew such things existed? I feel like Jed Clampett, "Wellllllll doggy...."
IMG_0024.JPG

I did get a little done. I ground down about ten of my oh so pretty:nonono: rosette welds along the pinch weld. I shall be slapping mud soon there!

Maybe tomorrow night I'll finish the welding of the cs. Probably a good idea.

You know what? EVERYTHING takes longer than I thought it would. I must live in a fantasy world, the one without all the hot chicks and swords and stuff......:bs: at least there's beer:nice:

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, these welds will spend quality time with the grinder.

I was planning to smooth the pinch weld area anyhow, lol. Now I just have additional inspiration to do that.

I didn't rosette weld the pinch weld but I did stitch it. I had to spread the panels apart a little and clean them as best as I could with a drill mounted wire brush and then hammer them back together to get anything close to a good weld. Even then, it sucked.

• Agree
I didn't rosette weld the pinch weld but I did stitch it. I had to spread the panels apart a little and clean them as best as I could with a drill mounted wire brush and then hammer them back together to get anything close to a good weld. Even then, it sucked.
Got to admit, that makes me feel a little better.

I can't wait to start on the passenger side and put all I learned on this side into that.

I'm still thinking of doing some stitch welding on the driver's side. The jr is welded right at the top corner of it along the pinch weld. Am I being overly paranoid?

I can't wait to start on the passenger side and put all I learned on this side into that.

I'm still thinking of doing some stitch welding on the driver's side. The jr is welded right at the top corner of it along the pinch weld. Am I being overly paranoid?

You've seen my work, right? I don't think I should be giving any advice on that. :rlaugh:

I did mine differently in the grand scheme of things Dave, and far better than just relying on the splattery pinch weld to hold it in.
9xyl-jpg.jpg

I also drilled several holes in the floor to let me weld it there too.
But my JRs were built angled up against the floor so that I could do that...I don't think yours are that way?

I did mine differently in the grand scheme of things Dave, and far better than just relying on the splattery pinch weld to hold it in.
9xyl-jpg.jpg

I also drilled several holes in the floor to let me weld it there too.
But my JRs were built angled up against the floor so that I could do that...I don't think yours are that way?
I probably could hit a few through the floor.

I’m going to attempt a set of 3 or 4” bead welds of sorts along the bottom of the pinch weld.

I saw a video of the installation of a Stifflers jr. They did overlapping spot welds. They said they didn’t want to do a bead weld because of the thin metal of the inner and outer rocker.........bs, they had the same issues we’ve had. They don’t say that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.