Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so my boss slightly fudged the truth with me. He actually ordered my welder last night:nonono:.

I'm not sure how quick it'll arrive. I think they allow for up to ten days.

I'll get my new welding cart this weekend and my argon bottle.

I want to get a CK torch or two. I want a flex head torch.

So I wait, what shall I do in the meantime?
image.jpg
It took Hobart nearly two weeks to drop ship my welder. Not sure why it took so long coming from the manufacturer. Hope your's is quicker.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Hey Chris @RaggedGT , I've been looking at welding carts.

Why does a miller cart cost $500 when it looks just like the $100 carts out there?

Should I buy a cheap one and then make my own that's really btchin'? I could paint it green!:nice:

The wheels on all of them look like something you would find on a HF lawnmower, expensive or not.

Why does a miller cart cost $500 when it looks just like the $100 carts out there?

Should I buy a cheap one and then make my own that's really btchin'? I could paint it green!:nice:

The wheels on all of them look like something you would find on a HF lawnmower, expensive or not.
Strangely enough..there's a HF welding cart that costs one tenth of a Miller cart..and you could paint it green..

• Agree

Cause- the Miller cart comes in a pretty blue and has a flashy Miller sticker on it :D

Honestly though, the HF cart isn’t a bad cart, but is pretty flimsy/Wobbly-and it gets worse when you add weight (like a machine,bottle,filler rods etc etc.) the Hf welder cart my little miller sits on has some added bracing to fix the flimsy-been working just fine for 7-8 years now

Reactions: 1 users
Cause- the Miller cart comes in a pretty blue and has a flashy Miller sticker on it :D

Honestly though, the HF cart isn’t a bad cart, but is pretty flimsy/Wobbly-and it gets worse when you add weight (like a machine,bottle,filler rods etc etc.) the Hf welder cart my little miller sits on has some added bracing to fix the flimsy-been working just fine for 7-8 years now
It's freakin 49 dollars. For a welding cart. How much more would it cost to weld a couple of stiffeners to it? 10-20 bucks.

I have one. My 449.00 Chinee 185a welder has been riding on it for 4 years now with a 120 cu ft bottle on back. It serves the purpose. It'd be nice if it was a little wider, it'd be nice if it had a drawer for consumables..but if it was that important to me, I'd have made the changes to the existing cart.

It's freakin 49 dollars. For a welding cart. How much more would it cost to weld a couple of stiffeners to it? 10-20 bucks.

I have one. My 449.00 Chinee 185a welder has been riding on it for 4 years now with a 120 cu ft bottle on back. It serves the purpose. It'd be nice if it was a little wider, it'd be nice if it had a drawer for consumables..but if it was that important to me, I'd have made the changes to the existing cart.
but then you would have to make changes to the changes, see if the cat approves it then make more changes

Soooooo... We are in agreement then?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So what’s to tell, not much.

Each payday I can buy something of significance. This week it was a microwave for the murder house and the new tags for my truck.

I had to weigh this paychecks purchases. One, leap into the 1980’s on my cooking, two, drive legally, or three, welding cart and new argon bottle.

I just got through eating a bag of freshly popped popcorn if that helps to understand what I bought..........

I’ll just conveniently set my brothers welder off of his cart and use his argon next weekend when I hope to have my new welder.

The check after that I’ll have a couple really nice CK torches to compliment my new welder.

Soon Booger shall be at the Murder House!

A side note, the license plate “BOOGER” is available here in Oklahoma! Got to get that too!

Reactions: 6 users
So, brief notes.

Welder is due in next Wednesday. Which leads to the next point.

My welding helmet customization. So I painted the GLX on the helmet, and it really looked great.

Except for some unevenness in the line through the middle of the letters, it looked great.............Yep, except for that line......

Which leads me to here. I sanded off the paint and have laid out the GLX again. You can see part of the rally stripe below the viewing area. I LOVE the look.
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG

This will be the last repaint of the GLX, and yes, yes I did the same thing with the hood. Feels like this is right in a way (sure, a psychotic anal sort of way, but right nonetheless).

So, once that's done I'll sand down the whole helmet and give it a final couple coats of clear. I'm not going to bother with the semigloss (he says right now).

I'm determined to get TIG welding down first before I bring Booger to the Murder House. Got to have a welder to do that, am I right? Maybe the welder will need a paint job too:D.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I’ve run a tig welder in many awkward positions-overhead-hanging down-Laying across-kneeling-sitting. I have used my knee to run the pedal. Used my elbow-Hand-had a buddy run the pedal, used a thumb control etc. but I have never run a tig laying on my back. I am interested to see how easy Dave makes that look lol

• Haha
I’ve run a tig welder in many awkward positions-overhead-hanging down-Laying across-kneeling-sitting. I have used my knee to run the pedal. Used my elbow-Hand-had a buddy run the pedal, used a thumb control etc. but I have never run a tig laying on my back. I am interested to see how easy Dave makes that look lol
The length of the welds will only be 1.5"-2"'s long mostly. I won't need a long feeder for those welds. A bunch of short ones for sure.

The main attraction is the welding to the pinch weld. After all the crap on the left side with the MIG and the contamination I'm really eager to use the TIG.

I saw a video of a guy that TIG'd a multi layer panel and used the arc by itself to effectively "clean" the area to be welded.

Status
Not open for further replies.