Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooooooo, out to my IBMG (Itty Bitty Murder Garage) goes I.

First, got to get the compressor on to run my die grinder to clean the areas that’ll need welding on the chassis support and body.
6860E104-8BFA-4BF2-87E2-78942FF01A7C.jpeg

Then I got the support up under the car and decided I wanted to do the first tack weld along the pinch weld.
4DC4A23D-3374-4E01-B940-BC2A05E4D140.jpeg

Now came play time with the tig. :rock:

I first wanted to try my theory of running the torch around the rosette holes to seal up the layers of the pinch weld to try to block off the crap between the layers.

Tonight was an interesting learning night for me.:scratch:

First I tried straight dc tig at 80 amps. That successfully blew a nice hole in the drilled out hole! So I dropped it to sixty and was right on the edge of a blowout again, though it was hard to tell because the dirty nasty crap between the layers made for popcorn, smoke, and a nice crappy smell. The nasty stuff likes to burn on straight dc. It sounded like when I MIG’d the other side.:fuss:
C3645CE0-0A29-4BBD-8C6C-CAC677DCD50E.jpeg

So I’m thinking, “It’s layers of thin gauge, like 20-22, let’s give the old dc pulse a go”.

Now this kind of works. I first went back up to 80 amps, it could easily take more. I used about 5hz to begin with and went up to about 25. I played with it for a bit and about 105 amps works really nice. For the thin pinched sheet metal, it works great..........

Remember that thick freaking tubing I used for the CS? The dc pulse at 105 doesn’t seem to be nearly hot enough for it to burn into it. It’s almost like it needs to be preheated to weld.

Hey @RaggedGT , chris, I need advice. Help a brother out here.

I‘m curious as to wether I should just go back to MIG for the chassis support. TIG welding produces amazing welds but is really, really difficult when you have about twelve inches of access and are laying down on the floor using one hand for the torch and one hand for the feeder.

Or maybe a combo of both? I was able to seal an edge of the two panel towards the front of the pinch weld. The question is, is it sealed enough to come in with a MIG, or will that just cut back through the TIG weld and give me the damned popcorn fest I had last time?

So, what did I really accomplish tonight. I gained knowledge, super knowledge even!
7AF5B49E-6B22-418C-B102-513FD4D850F7.png

Tomorrow I’m breaking out the MIG to get it at least tacked in. I remember that pinch weld crapola from the other side very well:suicide: , I would like to have pretty welds to show off, but am willing to accept ground down and filled welds too.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

For ease, I’d run the mig. But if you’re going to tig it,I’d preheat it, and maybe if you heat the contaminated pinchwelds up , maybe some of that crud will burn out/off. What size cup do you have on your tig? Maybe up your gas and the purge to help with the contamination?
Edit: a gas lense/cup size upgrade may seriously help with your upside down contamination welding lol
75FE38F3-F971-46A7-AF72-C10DBE06DC37.jpeg
605C528A-17A4-4558-8C7D-A6CE0E51EC86.jpeg
FDB71A57-BFD7-450C-B104-2100969E72EA.jpeg
F30B8ADD-E7FE-4DC4-B9AF-FF7C68D1AD1E.jpeg

Last edited:
When I’m laying under the car...welding Galvanized metal with seam sealer layered in between...the TIG will NEVER get turned on...the MIG will prevail.

And even then....the welds will suck,...and ill get the piss burned out of me.

• Haha
When I’m laying under the car...welding Galvanized metal with seam sealer layered in between...the TIG will NEVER get turned on...the MIG will prevail.

And even then....the welds will suck,...and ill get the piss burned out of me.
While that tubing at one time in it’s life may have had been galvanized, I doubt that after all my grinding and years of rust it had on it that it has any more.

If Booger was on a rotisserie I would still TIG. It’s just to much of a pita with minimal room and me on my back. With the results I started to get after playing with the TIGs settings I have hope that maybe I could do something that would help with a cleaner stitch weld along the seam.

Tonight I’ll be MIG welding. I want that support in.

While that tubing at one time in it’s life may have had been galvanized, I doubt that after all my grinding and years of rust it had on it that it has any more.

If Booger was on a rotisserie I would still TIG. It’s just to much of a pita with minimal room and me on my back. With the results I started to get after playing with the TIGs settings I have hope that maybe I could do something that would help with a cleaner stitch weld along the seam.

Tonight I’ll be MIG welding. I want that support in.
I was talking about the rocker pinch weld seam you’re trying to weld the tubing to.

Tig is nice but you need to be very clean or you'll get tons of porosity. You can try to up the gas flow but if its dirty it'll pop and get nasty. I also have a grinder that only grinds my tungsten and nothing else. If you're using a #8 cup start your flow at 16 and go from there.

Tig is nice but you need to be very clean or you'll get tons of porosity. You can try to up the gas flow but if its dirty it'll pop and get nasty. I also have a grinder that only grinds my tungsten and nothing else. If you're using a #8 cup start your flow at 16 and go from there.
Yeah, cleanliness is the problem. It’s the goo between the layers of the pinch weld that cause the problems really.

Think I’ve just got to deal with it unless I want to split the pinch area itself an clean the crap out of it. Not sure I want to do that.

Yeah, cleanliness is the problem. It’s the goo between the layers of the pinch weld that cause the problems really.

Think I’ve just got to deal with it unless I want to split the pinch area itself an clean the crap out of it. Not sure I want to do that.

Spoiler alert: You don't. Just MIG it and move on, it's not like you are going to ask people to lay on the ground to check out your sweet welds that you painted over anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
So the latest delay is different from the previous delays that were different from the previous delays, etc.......

I‘ve spent the last week and a half working with my son on his ‘01 grand am. It’s at the stage of it‘s life that things need to be replaced.

Lots and lots of things.....:nonono:

It’s been fun, in a way. The boy is learning so much about taking care of a car that’ll stick with him for the rest of his life.

His car is running right now again (code for a really good thing).

So this means I can get after Booger tomorrow, right?

I want to say a definite maybe for tomorrow. I got a :poo:load of yard work to make it through first.

I got a fresh six pack of Dirty Bastard just to be ready to get out to the garage though.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.