Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Trying to find argon is a challenge. I convinced my boss he should loan me one of the shop’s extras though.

Who knew the Chinese virus could keep you from getting gas?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
No reinforcements for the IRS other than a hard tail. It’s the upper mount for the sra that I’ll be removing and replacing with a tube support.

I know the 1.5" DOM tubing I used for that reinforcement was just barely small enough to clear the upper control arm mounts on the IRS cradle. You'll be fine using square there and it'll probably be easier to attach to the floor since it's square. I ended up plug welding the floor to my round tube. Just be careful to place the tube where it won't interfere with the upper control arm mounts.

Reactions: 1 user
I know the 1.5" DOM tubing I used for that reinforcement was just barely small enough to clear the upper control arm mounts on the IRS cradle. You'll be fine using square there and it'll probably be easier to attach to the floor since it's square. I ended up plug welding the floor to my round tube. Just be careful to place the tube where it won't interfere with the upper control arm mounts.
I’m going to strip the IRS down to the frame as soon as I‘m done welding in my chassis support. That dang thing is just too heavy to even think about fitting in over and over as i do the uca replacement and the hard tail. I’ll be hollering at you here shortly Chris. I’ll need to do some mind picking.

In the mean time I got a nice full 80lb bottle of argon hooked up.
860ABFDB-A3CE-4C0B-AD0D-3CA68AC57035.jpeg

Just doing the final preparations prior to getting after it now.
7C53DC2D-B937-421A-9D37-0970A9D4C0F7.jpeg

I would like to finish the welding part tonight. Then clean up starts tomorrow night. (that’s code for grinding)

Reactions: 5 users
Soooo, It’s fully welded in. Some welds were easy and turned out decent
F55F3483-6922-41BF-8BF1-AF1BBCF6D55E.jpeg

and then there’s the pinch weld:nonono:.
8F1EDF5E-4A54-4274-87DE-5435CE29EF8D.jpeg

I knew going in it would be a pita and I wasn’t disappointed. I went along the bottom of the seam and placed tack welds down the entire edge of the seam. Like 18 bagillion spot welds. I figured this would stop the crap from coming out of the seam and make for maybe a prettier weld. As usual, I figured wrong. I persevered and did the whole seam though. It’s ugly as hell, but it can be ground down nice and pretty fairly easy

Once I dress those welds I’ll be able to see areas that might need some touch up welds.

It’s disappointing in a way not being able to figure this pinch weld area out. But it’s great to have it over with.

So, here’s what’s coming. Tomorrow night I’ll be dressing those welds. I’m not sure if it’ll all be done tomorrow night or not. Right now I’m planning for two nights of clean up. Then paint Friday and on to the rear end for the weekend.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
Any welding without a fire is a good day.

This is one project I couldn't wait for you to get back on. I kinda missed this thread, Dave.

Look what I picked up at the shop today!:taco:
8C8842C2-BDC5-4620-A6E5-2F63E71A42AC.jpeg

That’s right baby, Davey’s got some hot plans for the night! Chill the Dirty Bastard and open up that garage door!

I’m going to get on my back and Booger and I are going to do the nasty! :O_o:

That’s right y’all, grinding welds tonight, woohoo!

• Hell Yeah!
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
My first thought at seeing the picture was of stick on EKG electrodes. I hope your stress level has gone down enough not to need those!

Look what I picked up at the shop today!:taco:
8C8842C2-BDC5-4620-A6E5-2F63E71A42AC.jpeg

That’s right baby, Davey’s got some hot plans for the night! Chill the Dirty Bastard and open up that garage door!

I’m going to get on my back and Booger and I are going to do the nasty! :O_o:

That’s right y’all, grinding welds tonight, woohoo!

• Agree
Ok, all I got done tonight was the pinch weld area. This much just about had me worn down to the nub.
3AB38271-5A31-4CD2-9AFF-26DA1A92596A.gif

It still needs some evening out with a grinder wheel. That’ll be tomorrow night.
F5CF068D-7163-43CD-B928-6A2CA9B07D84.jpeg

It needs about another fifteen minutes of work. All this will be smoothed when I get to the bodywork stage on the body. Tomorrow I’ll get all the welds on the sfc side smoothed as well as the finishing of the pinch weld area.

So far it looks like I’ll be dropping the IRS this weekend. I need to go buy some things (partially tools) to go on with this step.:taco:

First is an extra jack. I’ve been wanting a larger one than my little bitty sucker I have now. I’ll need two to safely crawl under Booger to unhook the IRS. Then I’ll need some decent storage containers for the odds and ends I take off the IRS frame.

I‘ll be stripping it down completely so I can have an easier time fitting it up as I do the new uca area support, and then the hard tail. I’ll get it powder coated after the hard tail is done.

Reactions: 4 users
As a point of being crazy, I’m going to cut off the stubs that hold the rocker molding on so when I get to the straightening stage, they won’t be in the way. So don’t stress. I’ll rivet the clips back on with fresh, pretty rivets. :nice:

God, how long ago did I take those off? It’s been a week or two.

Ok, I woke up with an idea for the pinch weld this morning.

I want it to look far better than it does now.

I’m going to give it a go tonight. If this idea works I’ll probably have to spend tonight’s work on just the pinch weld.

I’m not going to say what it is just in case it’s a really stupid idea, I don’t want y’all to think I’m a moron.....
471163D8-5C0B-47CF-8C2E-28BB03418832.jpeg

Ok, I woke up with an idea for the pinch weld this morning.

I want it to look far better than it does now.

I’m going to give it a go tonight. If this idea works I’ll probably have to spend tonight’s work on just the pinch weld.

I’m not going to say what it is just in case it’s a really stupid idea, I don’t want y’all to think I’m a moron.....
471163D8-5C0B-47CF-8C2E-28BB03418832.jpeg

So that's how you open the Dirty Bastards!

That's the best looking pinch weld I've seen by far, already. Looks like Dave has hit the ground running fellas. I feel there's 'bout to be some good chit posted showing his handiwork!

So, super genius here woke up with an idea.....it kind of worked.

So this puts me somewhere slightly above idiot and quite a ways below genius. Definitely not moron though.
19274730-4C95-4066-B50B-15A034A45D32.jpeg
I would have hit genius had I done this idea prior to ever dressing the welds in the first place. So, the idea is to measure down 1” below the top edge of the pinch weld and run a piece of 3/4” tape along the seam and grind a hard line all the way down the seam (The reason for 1” is that it allows for about 1/8” of weld below the actual pinch seam). Make it where you can still see the separate connecting pieces, the pinch weld and the support. I would love for it to be smooth metal the whole way down, but reality of welding the seam and getting clean welds isn‘t possible for me. Plus this side’s pinch seam was hammered crap when I got it out of the SY.

So pictures. First one, before super brain came along.
783AA634-A4DC-4A9B-975F-4FA0361A5977.jpeg

Next with the line ground along the seam. Keep in mind this would be more visible had I started this before having done the initial grind. It doesn’t look real straight, but that’s mostly an optical illusion due to the different slants of the weld. The seam area will easily cover with a thin layer of mud and look uber cool.
8D44D72E-0026-4D13-B17F-805B007867EE.jpeg

I got a bit into the sfc side. That was fun. It cuts fairly easy, it’s just that the carbide bit leaves :poo: ton loads of little super duper sharp shards of metal. I had to stop because I didn’t have back up charged batteries...... :nonono: damned nube.
67A2BA65-E1AA-4C22-B21C-76B609267D7B.jpeg

So, the lessons learned from this side will be put to use someday when I go back to the other side. I still need to finish the pinch weld area on that side.

This means I’ll still be grinding tomorrow. NBD though. Even if it took into saturday morning, I’d still have lots of time to change up how the car is setting and get the IRS out.

BTW Chris @Hoytster ? You’re right about that clearance between the IRS and the uca mount being tight! I hadn’t looked at that before. I’ll do a crap load of measuring with and without the IRS frame in before ever welding.

I’m real interested in how much the IRS frame will weigh without anything on it. It’s a helluva boat anchor right now.

Is it manageable by one person with all the crap out you people with an IRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.