Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I actually have a 1/4" drive Snap-On air ratchet that was among the tools I found in my '66 that my father-in-law let me keep when I dug it out of the garage. Nice little tool, but I have yet to use it. I did recently acquire a DeWalt 20V lithium 3/8 impact. Used that one a couple of times already, however, it's mostly going to be for junkyard runs.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve had a blue point 1/4” air ratchet that I’ve used for the last twenty five years on an almost daily basis. Great little tool.

It’s retired as of today though, my loyalty has changed.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
I picked up my brother's tig welder this morning.

It's an everlast powertig 185.
IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG

It's 25* outside right now, so no playing with it at the moment.

He bought everything to weld anything from mild steel to stainless to aluminum. Even gave me a nice big bottle of argon! I can't wait to give it a try.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users
I gotta admit, it's tough for me to get motivated to make the garage into the Booger Cave when it's this cold out.

I'll get a decent portable heater soon. The garage is small enough for one of those to be effective.

Today is just about reading up on the TIG and watching some youtube videos. I'm finally using my smart tv as a smart tv. Kinda neat.

Reactions: 1 users
I picked up my brother's tig welder this morning.

It's an everlast powertig 185.
IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG

It's 25* outside right now, so no playing with it at the moment.

He bought everything to weld anything from mild steel to stainless to aluminum. Even gave me a nice big bottle of argon! I can't wait to give it a try.

Questions:
Using shielding gas, doesn't that then make it MiG? ( I'm also a Welding Noob (among other kinds)).
Is the cave insulated?
If so, you need this: Amazon product ASIN B00IPUFRNMView: https://www.amazon.com/Tank-Top-Propane-Heater-PCTT30/dp/B00IPUFRNM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1550359086&sr=8-8&keywords=Double+Tank+Top+Outdoor+Propane+Heater

and 3ish rotatable propane tanks until.... You can get a small wood burning stove in there. :)

• Agree
Questions:
Using shielding gas, doesn't that then make it MiG? ( I'm also a Welding Noob (among other kinds)).
:)

TIG can use shield gas. Typically argon but I've used helium, nitrogen and 95/5 in the past.

MIG is usually a wire feed. TIG doesn't consume the electrode so you feed in wire stock or use a consumable lip on your welded device.

I do a lot of automated TIG and laser welding at work. G-code stuff, not hand.

I really need to buy a hand welded though. What's the power needs on that bad boy? I just put in a 30a 220v outlet

Reactions: 1 users
Questions:
Is the cave insulated?
If so, you need this: Amazon product ASIN B00IPUFRNMView: https://www.amazon.com/Tank-Top-Propane-Heater-PCTT30/dp/B00IPUFRNM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1550359086&sr=8-8&keywords=Double+Tank+Top+Outdoor+Propane+Heater

and 3ish rotatable propane tanks until.... You can get a small wood burning stove in there. :)
Ok, there are welding experts here, but here's my take on the two different types.

MIG (Metal Inert Gas) welding, or GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding) as it's professionally known, uses the consumable (MIG wire) itself as the initiator of the plasma arc that heats the base metal and the consumable to fill or attach different pieces of metal. The gas used in most MIG welding is a mixture of argon and carbon dioxide (roughly 75% argon to 25% co2). This gas shields the molten weld area preventing contamination from the oxygen in the air that would create a porous and dirty weld.

TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding, or GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) as it's professionally known, uses a tungsten electrode located in the torch to initiate the plasma arc that heats the base metal and the consumable (a filler rod of similar material to the base material you are attempting to weld). The tungsten electrode, while is still considered a consumable, is not used in filling. The filler rod is added separate from the torch. Sometimes it's not necessary to use a filler rod when TIG welding because the base metal you are welding will melt and fill in the gap you are attempting to weld (autogenous welding). Due to the high temperature of the plasma arc in TIG, like MIG, a gas is needed to be used as a "blanket" to prevent contamination from the air. One other difference between MIG and TIG welding is that you generally will use straight argon as the shielding gas since carbon dioxide can contaminate the tungsten electrode.

For aluminum and magnesium welding the gas will switch to an argon/helium mix. The power used for welding these metals is usually AC, as opposed to the DC used for the welding of steels and stainless steels.

I think I got that right @RaggedGT ? What do you think Chris?

Last edited:
TIG can use shield gas. Typically argon but I've used helium, nitrogen and 95/5 in the past.

MIG is usually a wire feed. TIG doesn't consume the electrode so you feed in wire stock or use a consumable lip on your welded device.

I do a lot of automated TIG and laser welding at work. G-code stuff, not hand.

I really need to buy a hand welded though. What's the power needs on that bad boy? I just put in a 30a 220v outlet
Ok, Maximum Inrush Amps (hitting the trigger) is 24.5a@ 220v/22a@110v.

Maximum Operating Amps is 14.5a@220v/13.5a@110v.

Ok, there are welding experts here, but here's my take on the two different types.

MIG (Metal Inert Gas) welding, or GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding) as it's professionally known, uses the consumable (MIG wire) itself as the initiator of the plasma arc that heats the base metal and the consumable to fill or attach different pieces of metal. The gas used in most MIG welding is a mixture of argon and carbon dioxide (roughly 75% argon to 25% co2). This gas shields the molten weld area preventing contamination from the oxygen in the air that would create a porous and dirty weld.

TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding, or GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) as it's professionally known, uses a tungsten electrode located in the torch to initiate the plasma arc that heats the base metal and the consumable (a filler rod of similar material to the base material you are attempting to weld). The tungsten electrode, while is still considered a consumable, is not used in filling. The filler rod is added separate from the torch. Sometimes it's not necessary to use a filler rod when TIG welding because the base metal you are welding will melt and fill in the gap you are attempting to weld (autogenous welding). Due to the high temperature of the plasma arc in TIG, like MIG, a gas is needed to be used as a "blanket" to prevent contamination from the air. One other difference between MIG and TIG welding is that you generally will use straight argon as the shielding gas since carbon dioxide can contaminate the tungsten electrode.

For aluminum and magnesium welding the gas will switch to an argon/helium mix. The power used for welding these metals is usually AC, as opposed to the DC used for the welding of steels and stainless steels.

I think I got that right @RaggedGT ? What do you think Chris?
Spot on Dave :nice:
Once you get the hang of running the torch and dabbing -spend some extra time on vertical up and corners-they took me the most time

Also, if I am correct, TIG is the most sensitive to a dirty area to be welded. The flux in flux core or on a welding rod in stick welding provides the shielding from O2 in the air with the added joy of having to chip all that :poo: off.

I had to clean all my parts off with acetone or denatured alcohol before i started welding on them with the TIG, if you dont any small amount of oil/contaminates will wreak havoc on the weld... you can actually see the bubbles in the weld puddle

I’ve been watching a crap ton load of videos on tig welding.

I ran into one that really sparked my interest. It’s on filling holes in sheet metal. In the case of this video the holes needing filled were where a trim molding had run the length of the body.

What was so interesting was that he had no access to the back of the panel to clean the metal completely, plus some of the holes were dimpled in. So it was next to impossible to thoroughly clean them before welding.

What was so interesting to me was that with the tig welder he was able to run an arc around the hole and burn off the majority of the contaminates without worrying about filler coming into the arc like with a mig. Then brush off the area and he was able to get a clean weld.

Remember the sht I went through with the left rocker pinch weld and crap coming out and contaminating my welds and make it sound like I was popping popcorn?

What do you tig welders out there think about this? @RaggedGT @CarMichael Angelo @Hoytster @a91what and anyone else with some tig experience.

I will be welding my right side chassis support in first thing once Booger is in the garage. How cool would it be to get pretty welds there!

I’ve been watching a crap ton load of videos on tig welding.

I ran into one that really sparked my interest. It’s on filling holes in sheet metal. In the case of this video the holes needing filled were where a trim molding had run the length of the body.

What was so interesting was that he had no access to the back of the panel to clean the metal completely, plus some of the holes were dimpled in. So it was next to impossible to thoroughly clean them before welding.

What was so interesting to me was that with the tig welder he was able to run an arc around the hole and burn off the majority of the contaminates without worrying about filler coming into the arc like with a mig. Then brush off the area and he was able to get a clean weld.

Remember the sht I went through with the left rocker pinch weld and crap coming out and contaminating my welds and make it sound like I was popping popcorn?

What do you tig welders out there think about this? @RaggedGT @CarMichael Angelo @Hoytster @a91what and anyone else with some tig experience.

I will be welding my right side chassis support in first thing once Booger is in the garage. How cool would it be to get pretty welds there!

All I know is that proficiency with a tig welder versus proficiency with a mig is equivalent to having to get a masters degree versus a high school diploma.
I can pretty well do just about anything with a mig on all but the thinnest of metals. And every time I get the tig out, it ends up going right back where I got it from, and I get the mig gun back in my hand.

Towards the end of the original monster build, I used the tig to control fusing two pieces of steel together purely by melting them w/o the use of any filler rod.
961C5063-83BD-4689-8038-010E12602B95_zps2olnzeyy.jpg

The g gill....made up of 8 pieces of steel, with 4 of the pieces making up the two center gills.
It always worked great for me as long as they touched each other..if there was a gap, I'm burning holes. It got to be where I rarely used it.

And I sold that combo machine with a full bottle of argon, regulator, foot pedals, and a trigger torch for 300.00.

But...guess what I got for Christmas?

A brand new 200 amp tig. I have since added a bottle of argon, and all of the necessary consumables to the mix.

But have yet to even hook the btch up.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
The cleaning action From washing the weld area with the tig can be very helpful-going back over the weld with just the torch/stinger also helps. I’ve run a tig welder in many different positions/angles etc-but I’ve never run a tig laying on my back. If anybody can train themselves to run a tig upside down-it’ll be you buddy :)
@hoopty5.0 @tannerc91gt @Boosted92LX are a few other dab masters that I can think of-I’m sure if they ever come back around,they would have some good input as well lol

Status
Not open for further replies.