Build Thread '83 T-top Coupe - Welding Holes in My Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, in case anyone is curious, the 3/32 filler is ER70S2.

I’m using the S2 rod for practice right now since it will be used on structural welds (chassis support, IRS hardtail, etc.).

I’ll use ER70S6 for the sheet metal. S6 is a little easier to produce a pretty weld with than S2

• Sponsors (?)

So I got a door skin from a damaged door and started cutting it into pieces to make practice sheet metal for my tigging.

A 3/32 tungsten is far to large for the low current needed. I switched to a 1/16th tungsten for the torch. That worked much better, the 3/32 arc had a tendency to wonder all over the place keeping me from maintaining a smooth weld puddle.

Based on the one amp per thousandth of an inch in metal, I went to roughly 30 amps for welding. The sheetmetal of a modern highlander is 24 thousandths. That's where the metal came from. Tigging an edge at this thin metal thickness is beyond my talents at the moment. But for lapping it's great, albeit slower. You wait for the puddle, add filler, move a little, wait for the puddle, etc.... Kind of like the thicker metal, just at a slow pace.

I actually found 35 amps to work better for me.

The sheetmetal will take a bit of practice. It may be another three weeks before I bring Booger home. I really want to get decent with the welder before i use it on the car.

With thicker metal, like what I have for my chassis mods, my welds are FAR better already then with my MIG.

I just need to spend some time with sheetmetal.

I will get back on Booger soon. I just want to be prepared.

I'd show you pictures of my welds today, but I decided to leave my phone at work.:doh:

I do have this just so you can have something to look at though....
IMG_0355.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Been gone a while, Dave. Looks like you’ve got your step back. I’m glad to see it

Jim
Thanks Jim, I’ll be gone for a little bit myself too. I started my new job and I’ve been working a bunch.

I’ll be taking a day off sometime soon and go back to tig welding.

The new job has an incredible backload of cars that need painting. It’s wearing me out a bit. But it’s like one of those gold prospecting shows, I found a honey hole and I’m not going to stop taking the gold in just because I’m pooped.

I’m thinking I can have the shop “caught up” by next weekend, then on for a bit of sitting for a couple days doing nothing. Except for having all my bills caught up!

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like you are in a good spot at work and at home. Good for you Dave! I can almost see the Booger updates coming!

I can’t wait...... I had just caught up on many pages of the Booger thread a while ago, only to have it go quiet (for good reason). Looking forward to seeing more progress, and glad your doing well Dave!

Reactions: 1 user
How about an update?

I caught up the backlog of cars in the paint shop finally today. Yay!

My first week there I made $4300 after I paid for the helpers!:taco:That won't be the regular income, but geez it's nice to make a bit extra. I'll be more than happy with a couple grand a week after this.

Tonight I caught all of my bills completely up. Yesterday I took my kids out for a nice steak dinner.

Right now I'm sitting on The Murder House's back patio in a comfy outdoor chair smoking a nice cigar and drinking a premium brew.

All in all? Not too freaking bad.

The owner of the shop has a 1981 corvette he wants me to paint. No body work, not even a real fancy paint job (which kills me, he keeps telling me not to go overboard on it...........the entirety of my life has been about going overboard). Anywho, a relatively quick paint job that won't be for money.

He said he needs a paint job from me, and I said I need a new Everlast PowerTig 210EXT from him. It's a deal. I get this vette painted, I get a beautiful new TIG welder that has pulse DC welding.

For those that don't know, pulse DC welding is what you really need to neatly weld thin metal like sheetmetal. I've tried the old fashioned way of trying to maintain a tempo with the foot control (you know, trying to be John Bonham with the foot control:rock:). I did alright with this method, but I'm only good for about a steady 2hz. The 210EXT can be controlled up to 500hz.

I've come to accept the HF welding helmet I've been using just isn't good enough. It's very hard to follow the weld puddle.

So I did this. https://www.bakersgas.com/LINK3034-3.html

The reviews on this helmet are just fantastic. I felt the cost was worth it. Outside of spending at least twice as much, I don't think I could get a better helmet. You welding guys tell me what you think.

I should have the new helmet here in about a week or so. About the same time my new TIG welder will be ordered.

So I'll post pictures of the corvette once it's shot. The owner wants it to go back to the original color......khaki.......

It's a gift for his daughter when she graduates college this year.

It'll look nice.

I want to try finishing the prep work by this weekend so I can shoot it saturday or sunday.

There you are then, that's where I'm at.

Booger is still scheduled to pay an extended visit to The Murder House soon. You'll know when it happens.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users
Good stuff Dave, glad to hear things are well. A khaki colored ‘81 Corvette sounds like a horrible college graduation present, but maybe there is some history behind it... :shrug:

Anywho, looking forward to some booger updates. Good to hear more outta you.

How about an update?

My first week there I made $4300 after I paid for the helpers!:taco:That won't be the regular income, but geez it's nice to make a bit extra. I'll be more than happy with a couple grand a week after this.

Tonight I caught all of my bills completely up. Yesterday I took my kids out for a nice steak dinner.

Right now I'm sitting on The Murder House's back patio in a comfy outdoor chair smoking a nice cigar and drinking a premium brew.

The owner of the shop has a 1981 corvette he wants me to paint. No body work, not even a real fancy paint job (which kills me, he keeps telling me not to go overboard on it...........the entirety of my life has been about going overboard). Anywho, a relatively quick paint job that won't be for money.

He said he needs a paint job from me, and I said I need a new Everlast PowerTig 210EXT from him. It's a deal. I get this vette painted, I get a beautiful new TIG welder that has pulse DC welding.

For those that don't know, pulse DC welding is what you really need to neatly weld thin metal like sheetmetal. I've tried the old fashioned way of trying to maintain a tempo with the foot control (you know, trying to be John Bonham with the foot control:rock:). I did alright with this method, but I'm only good for about a steady 2hz. The 210EXT can be controlled up to 500hz.

I've come to accept the HF welding helmet I've been using just isn't good enough. It's very hard to follow the weld puddle.

The reviews on this helmet are just fantastic. I felt the cost was worth it. Outside of spending at least twice as much, I don't think I could get a better helmet. You welding guys tell me what you think.

I should have the new helmet here in about a week or so. About the same time my new TIG welder will be ordered.

So I'll post pictures of the corvette once it's shot. The owner wants it to go back to the original color......khaki.......

It'll look nice.

I want to try finishing the prep work by this weekend so I can shoot it saturday or sunday.

Booger is still scheduled to pay an extended visit to The Murder House soon. You'll know when it happens.
I thought you bought a TIG already...would this be an additional machine then?

How about an update?

It'll look nice.

That’s a pretty nice haul. It’s nice when we have good months at the shop.

Reactions: 1 user
Just so y'all can see a before picture of the vette. This is with most of the bodywork done. I've got a couple spots that still need work.
IMG_0438.JPG

Tomorrow i'll finish the last of the bodywork and primer those areas. Then will come the great final blocking of the vehicle.

I am about done with the hood already. Long narrow panel.
IMG_0432.JPG

In other news, I got my new 3350 lincoln welding helmet delivered today. I'm in love! I got a few extras to go along with it. Including the prerequisite old man 1.75 magnifying lense.
IMG_0439.JPG

This is next to my older, cheaper Lincoln helmet. Look how freaking large that viewing area is!
IMG_0441.JPG

The view is ultra clear. I'll doing some welding sunday and give y'all a review.

Back to the Vette, it'll probably be next weekend before I paint it.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Ok, let me run this by you guys.

Here's my new helmet, plain black.
IMG_0445.JPG

I want to paint it similar to this red version I could have bought.
IMG_0905.JPG

Except I want to use the colors from Booger. Kind of this theme. Green all over and the grey for the rallye strip.
IMG_4228.JPG

What do y'all think?

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.