• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

'86 GT isn't starting...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fuzzylogic
  • Start date Start date Apr 4, 2007
F

Fuzzylogic

New Member
May 8, 2005
42
0
0
Albany, OR
Apr 4, 2007
#1
  • Apr 4, 2007
  • #1
Hey all,

I'm trying to help my Dad with an issue on his car. It's not starting. He's dropped the tank, replaced the fuel pump and filter, and put the tank back up...but still nothing. Has fuel pressure all the way to the engine and the pump is working. It isn't the starter - wish it was that easy.

Anyone have any ideas as to what area to check, what to troubleshoot, common causes, etc? I'm sure there's a lengthy thread already here, I'm about to start a search but I wanted to get a thread started with his problem in case it's something unique or can help out others with their problems.

If anyone has any questions that would help them troubleshoot this for us, go ahead and let me know. I only have the little bit of information from his short email to me today, I'm going to talk to him more in-depth tomorrow and I'll relay and have him check any questions you guys might ask on here.

Also, if anyone happens to have a URL handy to a good thread for this, please feel free to post it here. It's appreciated, poor guy has been busting his butt at work and on the car and is getting frustrated, haha. I've already found one thread talking about Jrichter's crank but no start checklist, so I'm about to head off to find that.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Apr 4, 2007
#2
  • Apr 4, 2007
  • #2
While searching, you will come across Jrichker's Cranks but won't start checklist. Print it out and take it out to the shop. Start running down the list and you will find the issue. The list systematically checks systems, which saves time and money.

Good luck.
 
F

Fuzzylogic

New Member
May 8, 2005
42
0
0
Albany, OR
Apr 4, 2007
#3
  • Apr 4, 2007
  • #3
I found that checklist, and it's incredible. Just emailed him that so hopefully it'll help solve the problem. Sorry to waste space on the board, I'll be back if the problem persists!
 

gunmetal5.0

New Member
May 10, 2006
144
0
0
Chico, CA
Apr 4, 2007
#4
  • Apr 4, 2007
  • #4
Lol@ "fuzzy logic". I'm learning about that this semester.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

N
Engine 86 GT no start/stall
  • nweber
  • Jul 28, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
222
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 29, 2026
AeroCoupe
Fox Prepping a '91 to start after 5 years sitting?
  • 331strokerGT
  • Sunday at 2:47 PM
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
158
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Monday at 6:28 PM
AeroCoupe
A
1987 5.0 speed density Foxbody crank no start
  • Alan2204
  • May 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
468
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 30, 2026
Mcmahst
W
2016 Mustang GT fuel tank leak
  • Waynetk16
  • Thursday at 7:12 AM
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
1
Views
41
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk Yesterday at 12:33 PM
gkomo
G
Resolved Smoking Wiring Issue After GT40 Head Swap
  • Grapes
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
473
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 22, 2026
Grapes
G
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?