88 Convertible - Suggestions on how to repair the seatbelt opening on rear trim

lemosley1973

Doing something with a heavy tranny now
Feb 18, 2019
Clover, SC
The openings where the seatbelts come out of the rear trim are pretty chewed up. I'm missing the black trim piece on the passender side; I have it on the driver side, but the problem is the underlying opening is damaged enough that the trim pieces have nothing to screw into.

Any ideas on how to build this up so I can screw trim pieces to it? I saw what Dave did with rebuilding a portion of the rear 1/4 trim that had UV rotted. I"m not sure that will work for this scenario since you have a seatbelt sliding through the opening.

Also, how about repairing cuts in the vinyl as in the second picture? Eventually I'd like to go all black for the trim pieces and carpet (with white seats). Has anyone recovered the rear trim pieces?

Attachments

• 20190407_170127.jpg
    20190407_170127.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 115
  • 20190407_170134.jpg
    20190407_170134.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Sponsors (?)

OK let me approach this from another way - the material that is covered is ABS plastic or something else? How can I tell?

Then the question becomes what is the best way to bond to that material underneath? I'm thinking bond a she to the material undearth (maybe precut the sheet) the nbuild up where I need to?

Thanks Dave - I remember reading that - will PBA work on this plastic? Its black thermoplastic based on the link that was is in this thread - does PBA work on that type of plastic

PS: Masterful job on that bumper. I'm about 1/3 through that thread.

Thanks Dave - I remember reading that - will PBA work on this plastic? Its black thermoplastic based on the link that was is in this thread - does PBA work on that type of plastic

PS: Masterful job on that bumper. I'm about 1/3 through that thread.
It'll work on just about anything.

Being a plastic repair though, I recommend you use a plastic adhesion promoter prior to spreading the pba. You can get it in spray cans or wipes (3M). Spray or wipe it on just prior to using the pba, allow it to just dry (maybe five minutes).

You'll want to score the surface with a really heavy grit sandpaper. Like 40 grit.

The pba sands very easily once it hardens. Though it'll take an overnight of sitting before it completely cures.

The cliff notes edition is the way to catch up on my car, you can avoid all the bs of the regular thread. Though i did enjoy a lot of the bs truthfully.