Progress Thread '88 GT Hell Horse - All over the place

Update:

Sorry for the slow update from the weekend. I was able to test the power supply prototype on the bench and in the car with success on both fronts. I went to put it in the enclosure, and ran into some issues with fitment. This means I had to put the final power supply on hold until I found a new enclosure. I was able to find a new enclosure yesterday, and it is currently in route to be delivered tomorrow. So hopefully, I should be able to finalize it this weekend.

On another note, I have been working on a GUI (Graphical User Interface), so that it will be easier to update the Shutdown Timers.

I will give another update after this weekend

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

FINISHED:

I have been able to complete the power supply over the weekend. I built another prototype, and tested it on the car before putting it in the enclosure. After I got it in the enclosure I was able to epoxy it in-place. The new enclosure has a screw-on top, so I that I could leave the programmable component accessible. This will allow for a couple different functions: (2) LED's Red for power connected (Red and Black wires) to the power supply and Blue for the activation of the power to the micro USB plug that will go to the RPi, the programming buttons to change the timer on the power supply, and a LED display screen to show the length of timer before the power supply turns off.

On to the picture:

IMG_20180930_110758449_3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You're not done yet.... now make 10 more and sell them to us.

Or make a DYI package of parts and we can build our own. I'd pay for it.... seriously.

I'd love to have a dash like that.... it would make my MS happy.

You're not done yet.... now make 10 more and sell them to us.

Or make a DYI package of parts and we can build our own. I'd pay for it.... seriously.

I'd love to have a dash like that.... it would make my MS happy.

Yeah...maybe something like this is coming available ;)

You can thank Steve and Kyle

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Inbox me as soon as you come up with something. I can donate through Paypal….you can thank Steve for that, too.

Inbox me as soon as you come up with something. I can donate through Paypal….you can thank Steve for that, too.

@a91what

LOL

Steve and I were having a discussion one day that led to Steve saying something to the effect of (paraphrased): "I will never own a car that has to be connected to the internet".

I laughed in his digital face and replied (paraphrased): "Bull:poo:. You'll be sitting at your desk reading live data-logs as your wife heads down the street for milk".

Steve then replied (once again, paraphrased):
:scratch:

:chin

:cautious: damn

• Haha
  • Happy
Reactions: 2 users
I finished up the power supply for good. I have the top edges of the enclosure notched for the wiring and the screw on lid put on.

Picture time

IMG_20181002_204918202~3.jpg

Just wait. I've introduced him to these:

View: https://youtu.be/G98svpyFY9M

I'm waiting for him to make a "Jarvis" for my 86. :cool:

@Noobz347
That will probably need to wait until V2100

@a91what

LOL

Steve and I were having a discussion one day that led to Steve saying something to the effect of (paraphrased): "I will never own a car that has to be connected to the internet".

I laughed in his digital face and replied (paraphrased): "Bull:poo:. You'll be sitting at your desk reading live data-logs as your wife heads down the street for milk".

Steve then replied (once again, paraphrased):
:scratch:

:chin

:cautious: damn

Next step is a barcode on your forehead :leaving:

• Haha
I have the fuse block coming in the mail today, so are getting ready for the install into the car hopefully this weekend. There should be a LOT of pictures of the process including before (current setup) and after with the new Digital Dash installed. If everything goes as planned there should be a video of the 1st startup and shutdown of the dash.

Well, I wasnt able to get as far as planned this weekend. I was able to get the RPi and the Power Supply mounted on a plate, and wired together. This will make the installation super easy as all that is needed to complete is wiring the 3 wires to the car and plugging in the (2) cables to the LCD Screen. After finishing the mounting plate, I have decided that I will move a couple of the wires (Micro USB Power Cable & Trigger Wire) exit points and shorten them as well. This will clean-up the look, so that there isnt some much extra wire laying around. I will also be adding a mounting point next to the RPi, so there is (3) mounting points over the current (2) on either side of the Power Supply.

Here are a couple pictures of Version 1:

RPi and Power Supply Mounting V1 - 1.jpg
RPi and Power Supply Mounting V1 - 2.jpg
RPi and Power Supply Mounting V1 - 3.jpg
RPi and Power Supply Mounting V1 - 4.jpg

you can get a 90 deg adapter for the usb that would clean it up and shorten it a bit.

I have been looking at those as well, but it would put the Micro USB cable point up higher rather than out the end as it currently is. I am not as worried, since I will be needing to plug in the HDMI cable right next to is as well. I could add a 90* HDMI as well, so have some thinking to do on that one.

I have been able to make a little additional progress during the week. I have wrote the screen delay script, which will allow for the screen to be turned off and on based on the ignition just like the shutdown process. I will be testing this on the car hopefully this weekend along with installing the LED turn signals. This is the last item for the instrument cluster/screen. I decided to install terminal ends on them to make it easier to assemble and remove the instrument cluster.

Once I get the items above done I will be taking before and after pictures of the instrument cluster/screen install. Next on the list is to install a mini fuse box, which I will be wiring the computer and wideband O2 sensor too. Its just a mini 6-way fuse box that will give me the ability to wire the TCU/microsquirt to it when I get to that stage as well. Once that is installed the power supply and computer combo will be ready for its installation and connection to the instrument cluster screen. Its nice to have it so simple of just a HDMI cable and USB cable thats it.

I know its a lot to hopefully get down, but the goal is to fire up the digital dash and see it work.

Update:

I got the holes drilled in the instrument cluster for the turn signals, and bolted them down. I went ahead and made the wiring with terminal ends for the turn signal wiring and for the stock wiring harness. I didn't solder these on yet until I take the old dash out. I don't know which connector has the turn signal wiring the left side or right side connector. After I get the old cluster out I will solder and shrink wrap it all up together.

I was able to pretest the commands for the screen delay, which was a little frustrating due having more than one way to do it. Some are good and some not so like it turns off the screen but can't turn it back on. I did finally find what I was looking for, tested it, and all is good. Applied the commands to my script and need to do a test on the car to see if it works as planned.

So... the cluster is finally ready to go in the car, so I can finish the wiring. I can route the HDMI and USB cables to the radio area for when I install the power supply and computer.

More to come along with pictures...sorry you have to wait for those.