Progress Thread '88 GT Hell Horse - All over the place

• Sponsors (?)

The hood wasn't all the way down and the safety latch didn't catch either. I was testing the alternator that wasn't charging and quickly jumped into the car to get the kids from school and bang the hood flew up at like 30mph.

I have a steel 2in hood that runs the stock hardware still

Harbor Freight for the win with the body hammers. I'm hoping to get some garage time this weekend to work some more on the project, but also grab some videos of the dash setup.

IMG_20190530_193624443.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't get to work on the car as planned as it turned into more of a house/yard clean-up instead. I did get the new dashboard about 90% there, so that will be coming soon.

I took a small break on the car to get some home "chores" done around the house, and be with the family. I am now coming back around to getting some well needed repairs done on the car as its been hiding under a car cover in the garage for way to long. I just ordered some 3M 8115 PBA, so I can fix the couple cracks that are in my bumper.

I will also be working on my DIY Front Splitter/Belly Pan, which will lead into the updating my boxing of the front radiator. Which means I will probably take the Driver fender off to reinstall the washer fluid tank for the WMeth and fixing the door hinge bracket. So over the holiday break, I will be tearing the front of the car apart.

There will be lots of pictures coming from this project as I know that's all you guys are here for.

Reactions: 2 users
Well since I dont have any "pretty" pictures means that I didnt get to work on the car as planned. Other items of course popped up that needed to be handled. Good news is I did get the PBA in the mail, so that is in hand for fixing the bumper. Not sure how much time I will get to work on it this weekend due to packing for Family Vacation and getting a digital dash ready for displaying for my Uncle. He has a Kenny Brown Edition Mustang that he is looking at running my dash in.

Good news over the holiday is that I did get to do some smoking of ribs and a whole turkey YUUMMMM

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
Got sidetracked on a project with Steve, so I decided to work a little further on both the Digital Dash's New Screen and the Center Console Android Auto Projects. With that being said today and tomorrow is "Prime Day", so of course there are coupons out there. I decided to look into the 3D Printer that I wanted, and it had a $35 Coupon Off. Which also made me add the 12.3 LCD Screen to the cart due to a 15% Coupon Off as well. I then picked up a couple additional components that I needed for laying out an all-in-one enclosure for the Digital Dash.

The new enclosure is going to be able to be directly mounted to the instrument cluster housing, which will include everything including Screen, Computer, and Power Supply. The plan is to have just a single 6-Pin plug for power and turn signals.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got from vacation with the family this week, and other than all of us getting sunburn it was fantastic. It's always a good time when you get to go car part picking more than once during the trip.

On the way there, I stopped at the Pull-a-Part that we passed heading to the beach. It had a 91 hatch that I pulled the instrument cluster out of for mocking up a new Digital Dash setup. I also got a spare IAC Valve, headlight pigtails for a new harness project at some point and battery tray to replace the terrible one currently on the car.

I also got to go there my Uncle's Garage that's packed full of mustang parts because we had a trade for an electric fan for A/C parts, so I got a compressor, condenser, and brackets. I also got a few more "junk" instrument cluster for a couple more digital dashes.

Lastly, I had to climb into the attic space to get a center console frame for mocking up the center console touch screen. I think I need to go bigger than the test 7" screen.

IMG_20190721_120756798~2.jpg
IMG_20190721_120913479~2.jpg

IMG_20190721_122854271.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
nope just needs a larger screen. Kurtis and I are in an unofficial race of sorts to see who gets a working prototype ready. We think a 10" touch may fit but I am doing a 7 as that's what I have on hand.

I don't have internet right now...boooo

But using my phone it seems like a 9" screen is going to fit perfectly in that area. The current A/C controls are going to be moved to the bottom rather than the top.

List of current features planned:
- Stream Music
- Phone Calls
- Navigation
- Rear Back-up Camera
- Splash Screen Boot-up

nope just needs a larger screen. Kurtis and I are in an unofficial race of sorts to see who gets a working prototype ready. We think a 10" touch may fit but I am doing a 7 as that's what I have on hand.
ive beat you both then...i have a working 7" ts for my infotainment/gps/bu camera already....

what do i win?:shrug:

ive beat you both then...i have a working 7" ts for my infotainment/gps/bu camera already....

what do i win?:shrug:

I know that I can go out and buy a double din radio and stick it in the bottom area of the center console, but anyone can go out and do that. This project is to do something unique like you do Mike, and try to modernize the interior a little more. I never did like the HVAC Controls to be front and center eye sight wise, and wanted them further down in the center console out of the way.

The plan is to redesign the layout of the center console area to have the Touch Screen at the top for the above features initially, and then move the HVAC controls to the bottom a little recessed back a little making them less pronounced. I do have other plans of tying the Digital Dash and Center Console systems together, so that I would be able to change dashboards, change boost levels, enable/disable other outputs to the MS.

I know that I can go out and buy a double din radio and stick it in the bottom area of the center console, but anyone can go out and do that. This project is to do something unique like you do Mike, and try to modernize the interior a little more. I never did like the HVAC Controls to be front and center eye sight wise, and wanted them further down in the center console out of the way.

The plan is to redesign the layout of the center console area to have the Touch Screen at the top for the above features initially, and then move the HVAC controls to the bottom a little recessed back a little making them less pronounced. I do have other plans of tying the Digital Dash and Center Console systems together, so that I would be able to change dashboards, change boost levels, enable/disable other outputs to the MS.
I know all that I'm just poking you both in the eye(s). What youre doing is pretty amazing in its own right, and if I hadn't changed out the old Summit digital gauge panel, I'd probably be right there with the both of you trying to figure out a way to adapt one of those displays into the Monster.

I just scratch my head sometimes when you consider the amount of work required to do what you're doing, considering that "anybody can buy a DD radio, and stick it the bottom area of the center console".
I mean I can understand the need to customize things...I'm the king of that, but in my case,...I have to. But for you guys, (because it looks like there's an attempt to market your efforts to the mass market) You have to understand that 99% of the guys that are out there Cant do what you do, and don't have the necessary infrastructure to do it even if they want the dash. Add to that the purists out there that wont mess up a gauge cluster pod, and the others that will say "I can appreciate the look, its just not my cup of tea", and you have a narrow audience for a really cool end product.