Progress Thread '88 GT Hell Horse - All over the place

Update:

I got both of my parts in the mail today RPi and Serial to USB adapter. I went out and tested the new cable, and it still powers ON the RPi with the power supply off - FAILED TEST. I then pulled out the new RPi, pulling in all the connections again, and it still powers ON the RPi - FAILED TEST.

So I am for some reason have an issue when you connect the MS ECU to the RPi with the Power Supply connected it can boot-up still??????

@jrichker do you have any input on my above issue? I am out of thoughts other than putting a diode on the micro USB cable that comes from the power converter in the power supply to protect it from somehow pulling power to bootup? If you think that will work what diode do you recommend?

• Sponsors (?)

So, I did some further investigation on the boot-up issue that I am having. I was able to backtrack through the wiring of the power supply, and I believe to have identified the issue. It seems that the RPi is robbing from both the Power Supply and the ECU to complete the circuit, which explains why I dont have any issues at all when the ECU isnt plugged in. I will be adjusting the relay wiring in the power supply this weekend to correct this, and then retest to see if it corrects the issue.

Reactions: 1 users
I was able to test my theory out on the wiring for the power supply, and all tested out great! It all works as planned and the boot-up issue has been resolved. Since the testing worked out I decided to go ahead and epoxy the power supply. It is now curing until tomorrow, so I can put everything back together on the car for a final test and possible video.

I also have some really good news in that my parents called me up asking what I wanted for Christmas. I told them my plans for the car, and I was planning on rebuilding the 331, adding a turbo, and WMeth Injection. They asked if they could get the WMeth system for me, which of course I couldn't say no. I was planning on piecing together a system to meet my needs, but when I priced all the individual peices it was cheaper for a standard kit. I liked the DevilsOwn WMeth Systems, and there standard kit gives me all the pieces for the system without the tank and extras I didnt want. So when checking our I normally look for a coupon. They are having a sale until tomorrow for 50% OFF there kits using the PRI2018 code, so I got there standard kit with (2) nozzles (7 & 10) and added there in-line filter for $182.

Good Day Today :banana::banana::banana:

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, great job Kurtis! I know you've shown us the splash screen before, but I love it and it looks so slick while booting up. Nothing like giving a 20+ yr old car the new Ford Sync vibe :D

I'm curious about the timer LCD on the power supply. The "100" means it will wait one minute before shutting down? What does the "200" then mean after it's shut down? Just a status code that it's off and waiting to be powered on again?

Any way to make that timer actually tick down as a way to see how long before it shuts off? I know once it's installed and configured that won't really be necessary, but if it ticked down (like a bomb hehe) it would be a really easy way to tell that the timer script and everything is functioning as opposed to just having a static value shown there :shrug:

I think it's amazing. I want one.

For me though, it would have to be installed as a tuning interface, and a second set of instruments to check the ones in front if my face.

You could for sure install one that way. I figured some people wouldn't want to replace there instrument clusters, so its just a HDMI and micro USB connection for display and power. This makes it universal.

Wow, great job Kurtis! I know you've shown us the splash screen before, but I love it and it looks so slick while booting up. Nothing like giving a 20+ yr old car the new Ford Sync vibe :D

I'm curious about the timer LCD on the power supply. The "100" means it will wait one minute before shutting down? What does the "200" then mean after it's shut down? Just a status code that it's off and waiting to be powered on again?

Any way to make that timer actually tick down as a way to see how long before it shuts off? I know once it's installed and configured that won't really be necessary, but if it ticked down (like a bomb hehe) it would be a really easy way to tell that the timer script and everything is functioning as opposed to just having a static value shown there :shrug:

Thank you! I thought it is a good addition to the car getting it into the 21st century, but also removing the analog "dummy" gauges that inaccurate most of the time.

Good questions on the power supply, and sorry for the sideways video shot of it. The LCD screen that you saw the "002" is displaying the amount of time until the power supply will Turn OFF. I reduced this time for testing purposes, and will be increased to "030" or 30 minutes once put to normal use. This timer counts down the time until the power supply turns itself off, and is independent of the computers shutdown timer to not effect each other. The (2) led lights also help to tell you if it has power (red) and also if the power supply is ON (blue).

I hope that you guys enjoyed the video as I know it wasnt the best in the world. I plan on getting another video of it out on the road hopefully this weekend, but have been very happy with the new dash so far.

That is awesome !!! Definitely marketable too. Can't wait to see it actually reading the data.

Looks really good. Great work !!!

It takes 28 seconds from activation of the power supply via ignition turned ON to display of gauges connected to the ECU.

You might snap up another Pi sometime in the future and try a lighter distribution of Debian. If you're running the full blown version of the Pi distribution, it's loading many things that are not necessary to support your application.

You could probably cut that time in half with a bit of tweaking. You probably don't need any of the Debian GUI at all.