88 stang hi what kind of mods can you do to my 88 with speed density,

• Sponsors (?)

You can do anything, people even supercharge the SD cars, you just need a check valve going up to the MAP. But.. I just converted my 88GT to MAF because I went 347 with a large cam and supercharger. Makes it easier for tuning ya know. SD cars don't handle a lot of mods too well, especially when it comes to cams and overlap.

SD is totally fine, just need to decide on where you want to end up, if you do a heads/cam/intake (HCI) swap you should be fine still unless you get a super aggressive cam, any one of the alphabet cams should be fine or stage 1 or maybe even stage 2 trickflow. So I guess the real questions is, "What mods do you want to do?" Might be easier to answer this.

Reason I say that is from my personal experience. I had a SD car as well. Mine is an 87. I started out with the usual bolt ons, and then you get used to the power and want more. Which is what happens to a lot of us. Then when I made the step to the next level, which was a nice set of aluminum heads and a mild cam, it was just too much for the SD to handle. Had to do conversion AS WELL AS the money that was going out for the other work. Which was costly. Just my opinion. If you do it now you set the stage to build a solid platform of performance modifications later. If that’s the direction you think you will go.

@Fox stang

MASS air conversion instructions from http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html FREE

Revised 2 Aug 2014 to add new links to conversion harness suppliers, diagram for repining computer wiring connector and YouTube video

A9L (5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150 -maybe more – A9L computers are becoming hard to find.
A3M (5 Speed) computer from junkyard $100-$150
A9P (Auto or in a pinch, it will work in a 5 Speed car) computer from junkyard $100-$150
70MM MAF from 94-95 Mustang GT - $40-$70
MASS Air wiring harness kit $30-$85

The whole thing is probably less than $300 using junkyard parts.

A9L computers are 5 speed only
A9P computers are automatic, but will work with a 5 speed.

The conversion harness seems to work well for most folks. It avoids the compatibility problems in using a harness from the junkyard. Simple and cheap, actually less work that swapping the wiring harness.
Conversion Harness kits & parts

Youtube video how to do a Mass Air conversion using a conversion harness kit (somewhat long but useful)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnnTgXkHU9Q

hrdp_0705_26_z-ford_thunderbird_harness-.jpg

Wire side 60 pin computer wiring harness connector
a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.gif

Computer side 60 pin computer wiring harness connector
eec-iv-computer-connector-for-5-0-mustang-gif.gif

If the idea of moving & soldering wires scares you, here's a list of compatible Mass Air wiring harnesses.

Copied from bbunt302
Just for reference, here's a list of all the compatible years:

89 harness should work for 86-89 as long as you're using mass air.
90 harness will only work in a 90. (because of air bags and dual dash connectors)
91 through early 92 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under driver's seat)

Late 92 through 93 harnesses may be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under the hood). You may end up running some extra wire for the fuel pump relay. Comments and input from someone who has actually used the 92-93 EFI harness would be nice.

Larger MAF to go with Mass Air conversion:
94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a flange adapter to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1 *2

*1.) Metal flange adapter http://www.kustomz.com/cat3.html Buy the TR70 for $40-$45 depending on if it’s on sale or not. Or spend some time on eBay looking for one that may fit.
Try AutoZone and ask for 81413 - Spectre / 3 in. Aluminum Intake Mass Air Flow Sensor Adapter at $12.00. You may have to order it online.

*2.) MAF & sensor interchange
The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF & sensor is also found on:
1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.