Engine 89 Fox Revs high then stalls

Cory5.0Fox

Feb 14, 2019
Dallas
To start off, the issue i'm having with my Foxbody is that it starts almost immediately but revs up to around 5000 rpm without ANY throttle input and then stalls once the needle goes back to around 1000 rpm. The car isn't completely stock, it has e303 cam, gt40 heads, headers, CAI, deleted smog pump, wire tucked, MSD 6AL, A/C delete, 130 amp alternator.

The story behind my situation, when I bought the car it had been neglected so after a while I decided to fix all it's "maintenance issues." These included, a bad water pump, worn out fuel pump, leaking front and rear main seal, bad input shaft bearing in the transmission, no PCV valve that lead to a breather and no return line that was getting burnt by the header. and a clogged engine air filter. I replaced the fuel pump, water pump, transmission and resealed the engine of all oil leaks. I also added a factory PCV valve, replaced air filter, changed spark plugs and wires. In order to do the PCV however, I took the upper intake manifold off, while leaving the IAC, and throttle body bolted on. I replaced the gasket when putting back on, plugged everything in, ran the correct vacuum lines.

The tests I have already performed include: Fuel pressure, compression test, and cannot hear any audible vacuum leaks that could be responsible for such a sudden stall.

The car ran fine before any work was performed so it can't be anything related to engine internals. The only thing I have left to assume is an air or tune issue so I am turning to anyone to possible shine some light on the issue and can help in any way.

• Sponsors (?)

I see this exact same problem pop up all the time on different forums, and no one ever posts what the problem was. So you should when you find it!

Could be a TPS sensor thing. But I'd still do the checklist or as least pull codes before throwing money at stuff. I have learned that there are too many different things that cause this exact problem to be able to just go to the parts store and start spending money.

Reactions: 1 user