Electrical 89 Lx led brake lights stay on, go off with push of clutch pedal.

Hi all,
1989 Lx conv, I've been running led tail lights from Easy Performance and have a weird issue. Sometimes when driving car the brake lights stay on, now weird part is clutch pedal turns them off when pressed just a little. Anyone know if the clutch switch is related in any way to the brakes?

Thanks for any advise you can offer

Chad

• Sponsors (?)

They are connected through the cruise control as the CC monitors the circuit. The clutch pedal has a switch that breaks the loop to the cruise module.

Reason they are glowing is because LEDs regular very little voltage to activate.

Does your cruise work, and do you want it to continue to work?

Unplug the clutch switch and that should solve the problem.

The switch is located on the right side of the pedal box where the clutch quadrant is. It has a black sheathng over the wiring. Unplug it and tuck the connector and that should solve it. Cruise won't work again though.

Looks like this. It's not the same as the clutch switch on the clutch pedal arm side

I also believe unplugging the cruise control amplifier will also achieve the same result. The box is located under the dash bolted to the driver's door jamb area and is a yellow box. Two plugs. One to the servo and the other to the body wiring.

1632143637680.png

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 user
I didn't see any separate switch on clutch pedal area besides the safety switch. Could they have used the safety switch to interact with the cruise? I unplugged the amplifier which I did find under the dash. It's raining today here, but I'll get it out and see if same issues arise. My car is an early 89 had an 85mph speedo instead of the 140, no anniversary horse emblem on dash and a few other things don't match the 89 cars as much as previous years.
Thanks again for the help.