Drivetrain 89gt foxbody with nss manual t5trans swapping to 96 v6 non nss manual t5 trans questions

Thomass912

Aug 29, 2022
Virginia
Hey there, my name is thomas. I have an 89 gt foxbody 5 speed and im replacing the trans with a 96 v6 t5. Now I know i have to switch the input shafts but my stock trans has the neutral switch "nss" and the 96 trans does not. Do you know if you can switch the lids to make it work or if there are any other options? Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you can switch your old one, do it as one peice with the rail and shift forks, the tail housing may need to be swapped and Speedo gear/retainer clip needs to be drilled on some if its only got provisions for the electric unit. Good time to match the Speedo gears too, I prefer the old 7tooth on mine since I generally run a 3.73 gear most of the time.

Yes you can switch your old one, do it as one peice with the rail and shift forks, the tail housing may need to be swapped and Speedo gear/retainer clip needs to be drilled on some if its only got provisions for the electric unit. Good time to match the Speedo gears too, I prefer the old 7tooth on mine since I generally run a 3.73 gear most of the time.
Luckily everything else is the same except the input shafts. So ill be swapping and re shimming those. The gear ratios on this v6 trans are identical to my 5.0 beside a very miniscule amount in 5th gear. Why would the tail shafts need to be swapped? I havent heard that at all in my research

The 99+ cars have the non-compatible speedo provision. The 94-98 T5 cars use a similar style speedo sensor that is mechanically driven and doesn’t use a cable. Won’t be an issue for the OP

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user