Progress Thread Fire Hazard GT build: On the road

• Sponsors (?)

@madmike1157 , Have you not read the "Florida Man" stories?
florida-man-wtf.jpg

Or met the folks around here?
people.jpg

And the weather?
imagesLLQZ5TXC.jpg

Actually....screw the weather?
untitled.png

With all of that, do you really need to ask why I drug the family and all my crap across the united states for fun filled days of rain and lightening?
Ok....new job in Tampa. I'll let you know as I'm awaiting a couple of my neighbors to make the next episode of COPS.

Reactions: 3 users
@madmike1157 , Have you not read the "Florida Man" stories?
florida-man-wtf.jpg

Or met the folks around here?
people.jpg

And the weather?
imagesLLQZ5TXC.jpg

Actually....screw the weather?
untitled.png

With all of that, do you really need to ask why I drug the family and all my crap across the united states for fun filled days of rain and lightening?
Ok....new job in Tampa. I'll let you know as I'm awaiting a couple of my neighbors to make the next episode of COPS.
I'm anxiously awaiting that story RD.

Story? So a man says he lives in Southern California and everyone pictures beautiful San Diego and the Coast. So picture it in your head a map of California, then take yourself east to Palm springs and then go further east until you start seeing "Mojave Desert". Now just picture arriving in this beautiful desert paradise at night with your wife and kids. Take it further and picture the glorious sun coming up around your new desert paradise as your wife looks you in the eyes and calmly (with a slightly murderous look) and asks "where the hell did you bring me". Though the high-desert is absolutely beautiful at times, it gets old after four years. Needless to say, the Old Lady deserved a change of pace. Combine that with my bucket list items, regarding "Alligator Fishing", mud "rastlin" and mud "racin", and a job opening just seemed like the logical move. Just to show that it was a good an idea it has been, I have not "fallen down the stairs" (never had any, but the wife knows how to swing a wicked bat....help) since being here.:O_o:

Reactions: 2 users

Update John? The Mustang still sits center of the garage with a new motor (sitting with trans fluid in the cylinders), that hasn't been started because I have become to picky about silly things like the fuel line routing, and the way I butchered the inner fender for the turbo. I've purchased some Scott Rod inner fender panels, but just haven't had the heart to pull the turbo out to start the slow process of trimming them.

The to do list:
-Figure out how to get the BBK rail input closer to the front of the engine (need to remove the pass rail and pull the inlet)
-Rotate the engine and pump any remaining tranny fluid out the plug holes
-Mount the catch can somewhere??? Figure out the proper routing off the valve covers for the can
-Drop the oil, and replace the filter/oil/cam break-in lube
-Spin the pump for as long as it takes
-Fill the radiator
-bolt the upper intake, and inlet piping back on
-Set the fuel pressure
-Stab the dizzy, and shoot for as little timing as I can get it started with
-Hope the lifters pump back up in a reasonable amount of time
-Remove the upper intake, and re-adjust the lifters
-Probably a great time to pull the turbo and do the pass inner fender
-Put it back together again, and repeat half the list above
-Start working the audio, alarm, and other electrical

Oh, and continue to find things I've done years ago that I want to do over again

Well, I guess you have been busy, poor john has been waiting a year for that update.
Oh, did your neighbors ever get on that episode of cops?
John will pop back in. He's one of the previous owners of my white car. He checks in from time to time over the years. As far as the "Cops" episode. We came close. We had a group of kids come to our circle and start checking everyone's car for guns and money (common according to the cops). While talking with the local cops, some dude shows up with the old "so you see what happened here was." Of course three of the neighbors have recorded the guns and money crew through their home security and have identified the car, time, and whos cars where searched. The "dude" just continues on with the theories while the good officer patiently listens, as we wander who the heck he is. Thankfully the officer has already seen the video and knows that his time, random description of the kids, and story is completely off. Come to find out the neighbor's adult son is staying with them. Always wandered if the tv program interviewed the least intelligent folks in the neighborhood. The "dude" would have qualified that night.

Tranny fluid, stabbing a dizzy,.......dropping oil.....IMgonnapuke:ack:
Not to your liking Mike? Always open to having you take a trip down south to better educate me. Just make sure to bring tools, or a six pack.

So you're almost there then RD?
Dave, I can't say I am any closer than two years ago. I continue to jump from other projects, work, and other peoples repairs. I will probably be hitting you up for advice when it comes time to paint the cobra insert, and touching up a couple of places.

Reactions: 1 user
I managed to trace some of my wiring mistakes last night and had to pause to assess my fuel rails/lines before I could ensure my key-on power works correctly. I keep going back and forth on the pressure gauge off the regulator, and have not decided how to correct the fuel input line resting on the valve cover.
20181125_124403.jpg

Option 1: leave it and wait for it to rub
Option 2: Find the rails NPT size and extend the fuel line hook up past the valve cover
Option 3: completely re-line the fuel system.

Thoughts?

On my turbo car the fuel comes up the drivers side rear of the block and enters and exits at the rear of the rails. I also use stock explorer rails. Not the best for higher horsepower fuel demand but good enough for me...for now. The routing of my lines keeps the fuel lines completely away from the heat on the drivers side by the turbo and down pipes.

Your situation looks easily fixable with a fitting extension and heat sleeving. The return line can be zip tied in a " non- obvious " location to the feed line once its extended away from the vc.

Just my .02

Sorry bud, but this is another example on the "why I am not going turbo" list. I feel for you having the car in a state where you could drive it year round, but not driving it. Hope you start making progress again!

Now this is a case of " that sht don make no sense".:nonono:

Him needing advice on his fuel line dilemma wouldn't matter if the car was N/A, or turbocharged.
Looked to me like he was trying to find a better way to run.......fuel.

dogging a turbo like its some evil thing that causes sht to break, or in this case, keeps it from running
......smack yourself.

Now this is a case of " that sht don make no sense".:nonono:

Him needing advice on his fuel line dilemma wouldn't matter if the car was N/A, or turbocharged.
Looked to me like he was trying to find a better way to run.......fuel.

dogging a turbo like its some evil thing that causes sht to break, or in this case, keeps it from running......smack yourself.

He hasnt been able to drive the car much since adding the turbo. As far as I could tell reading back, thats when his problems started stacking up. Smack yourself back.

He hasnt been able to drive the car much since adding the turbo. As far as I could tell reading back, thats when his problems started stacking up. Smack yourself back.
What kinda detective work is that? cyber-sleuth...

What turbo-related calamity caused the car to go down, and when did this all happen then, you,you head of the Royal order of Anti-turbo, slow and steady car club of Middle Iowa?

I must have missed it,...but did you have a turbo on your car When it took you months to figure out that you had overtightened your rocker arms?

I'll see your smack, and raise you two btch slaps.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
His post #38 in this thread described the car as a running N/A combo with a lumpy N20 cam. Then goes into talking about how its been down since deciding to add a turbo and he was looking for motivation to get back at it.

hooked-on-phonics-worked-for-me.jpg

@rdharper02 , sorry for the btch slaps, smacks, etc. My dear friend from Alabama and I dont always hold back when we should.

Last edited:
His post #38 in this thread described the car as a running N/A combo with a lumpy N20 cam. Then goes into talking about how its been down since deciding to add a turbo and he was looking for motivation to get back at it.
Honestly, Mike is right on this one. I've had the same turbo kit for years and have had little to no problem with it. Though I can't comment on HP's customer service, the kit worked extremely well with the previous stock 5.0. This mustang was actually purchased as a parts car. The motor had been beaten on prior to me owning it, but I managed to get it running decent before doing a rebuild on the vast majority of the car. The lack of motivation came from several moves, excessive work, and several surgeries (knee and back). The demise of the first engine, well I can't tell you if I washed the cylinder, or mistook it for the lumpy cam in it. Either way, that's my fault for not noticing it sooner. Placing a turbo on an engine that never intended to use one could go wrong depending on the user. The user is the multiplying factor. 20 years ago the simplicity of naturally aspirated motors would have been better for me personally. I like things to stay in one piece now. Back then, a little more nitrous or boost was too tempting.

On my turbo car the fuel comes up the drivers side rear of the block and enters and exits at the rear of the rails. I also use stock explorer rails. Not the best for higher horsepower fuel demand but good enough for me...for now. The routing of my lines keeps the fuel lines completely away from the heat on the drivers side by the turbo and down pipes.

Your situation looks easily fixable with a fitting extension and heat sleeving. The return line can be zip tied in a " non- obvious " location to the feed line once its extended away from the vc.

Just my .02
Sick, I like your idea on the rails being fed from the rear. I sat down and added up the cost, and will likely just extend the fitting out from the front of the rail. Instead of just buying one of Glen's kits, I pieced mine together between fuel rails, pressure regulator and those expensive arsed Russel lines, I'm halfway to one of Glen's kits.

On another note, I'm starting to dislike Optima's batteries. I own five of them and am finding that they do not work well without regular use. I was gone for eight months this last business trip and had to replace one yellow top in the jeep, and will likely have to replace the blue top in the mustang. It doesn't want to take a charge and appears to be leaking gel around the terminal. The one I pulled out of the daughter's Grand Prix appears to have taken a charge, but was having problems under load. Great batteries when charged regularly, but the deep cycle traditional batteries seem to come back from the dead easier.

Ive commented in other threads that I had problems with both Optima red tops I owned. I have to agree that regular ol' Interstate batteries (or similar) seem to be a little more hassle free.

And its ok, I can take the being wrong on the turbo part. I mis-interpreted the time frame of the turbo install. I just like arguing with Mike, right or wrong. He's my married in cousin, twice removed, uncle's step brother. Something like that anyway. You know how they are in Alabama...

Ive commented in other threads that I had problems with both Optima red tops I owned. I have to agree that regular ol' Interstate batteries (or similar) seem to be a little more hassle free.

And its ok, I can take the being wrong on the turbo part. I mis-interpreted the time frame of the turbo install. I just like arguing with Mike, right or wrong. He's my married in cousin, twice removed, uncle's step brother. Something like that anyway. You know how they are in Alabama...
Don't feel bad. It's not like Mike has never assumed that correlation implied causation.