Progress Thread Fire Hazard GT build: On the road

• Sponsors (?)

Hey, now calm down gentlemen, don't make me start posting more photos of that hideous pinto wagon with the aero nose. Just seeing that thing has reduced my progress, so none of us want that.

I'm not familiar with them due to the fact I'm still learning the area, but I am probably dropping the snail off at Boost Labs in Tampa. They're going to disassemble it and check all the tolerances to ensure everything is good. The sad fact is that is the prices of turbos have dropped significantly over the years, so if they find anything I may just buy a new one. The rebuild is almost half the price of a new, more modern, turbo from them.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Hey, no calm down gentlemen, don't make me start posting more photos of that hideous pinto wagon with the aero nose. Just seeing that thing has reduced my progress, so none of us want that.

I'm not familiar with them due to the fact I'm still learning the area, but I am probably dropping the snail off at Boost Labs in Tampa. They're going to disassemble it and check all the tolerances to ensure everything is good. The sad fact is that is the prices of turbos have dropped significantly over the years, so if they find anything I may just buy a new one. The rebuild is almost half the price of a new, more modern, turbo from them.
Where are you located? I work in Tampa.

Did manage to drop the turbo off today. HP Performance ended up using a Holset turbo which is probably good concidering every vehicle parked outside of Boost Lab was a cummins diesel. Initial visual inspection seemed good. Hopefully she's good after teardown, if not I think I'm going have to update the 15 year old technology.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Called Boost Labs today and I'm supposed to re ceive some input by the end of next week. I was hoping that they'd be able to inspect it after a week, but seems like the covid spending has them busy. No worries, I've been thinking of selling my A5 and getting somethimg else to daily. So my time is beingspent window shopping and working on the wife's car. Of not, found an 02 v6 car swapped with a carbed 5.3 for a decent price. Might be fun.

Well, the shaft is fugged. It is bent slitly, and must have been re-worked back in the day by HP Performance. Gameplan is to replace the cartridge (centersection) and see if there is a billet impeller out on the market. I'm going to save Butkiss on rebuilding vice a new turbo, but can't seem to find one around that physical dimenshion with a 4 inch v-band. So for the sake of laziness, I'm all in the Holset.

I've been seriously slacking. We got the disco snail back on last week, but I decided I needed to make the wife's "go to work car" road worthy considering we bought the thing only to find a koi pond where the spare tire well is supposed to be. Seems the quarter has been repaired and the body shop never thought to seal the seams. So for the excitement. You know there are things that only you as an individual can do. I know ya'll are thinking "go on Tony Robbins." Well I have found I am uniquely able to tear up things that are intentionally made to resist the method of destruction I manage to use. Todays example, my bleepin cashy Accel ceramic wires. Not only did I manage to melt them, but being the unique individual I am, actually set two of them on fire after the made friends with the turbo manifold on the passenger side. Now I bought these freaking thing for their resistance to heat....i.e. they are flippin ceramic. Never would have expected that they would actually catch fire and I've never seen a wire do anything but melt or arc in the past. I'd have a great picture of my attempted fiberglass hood fire, but I dropped my phone as I wrestled the fire extinguisher away from an over eager buddy. We all like to save the day....well until we spend three days cleaning an engine bay from the joyus powder of the extinguisher, Looking back, well I gave it to him to hold, so my bad. So two new wires will cost about $27 a piece from Summit.
Burnt.jpg

Does anyone read the crap I'm posting? Between some of my treatment and my lack of adding a decent oil bung to my valve covers, it's been awhile since the last post. I've loomed the wires the ugliest way possible, installed a new flex-a-lite fan controller, adjusted the UPR coilovers and generally drug my feet as I've been trying to find electrical gremlins on my 74 J10. Just in case someone actually reads this trash, I'll post some photos. Hope everyone is still doing great during this COVID madness.
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail.jpg
J10.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
After posting. I managed to order the factory style dipstick I need and work on the Jeep. The dipstick will help me make the gestimate much more accurate when eyeballing my oil level, and is one of the few "nice to have" parts I have on my Christmas list. After filling my oil through the catch can line, I have now reached a new level of patience that makes me want to write a self-help booked titled "Taking a week to fill the crankcase." That same patience seem to allow me to figure out my wiring gremlins in the Jeep after several days of piddling with it. However, like several of my cranky counterparts, I have done the oil and wiring, and have already started ordering parts to give me a proper bung and re-wire every doggone bit of the old AMC.

Yes, the ducks are in a line, but I just assume it's due to them plotting my death every time I don't feed them.

• Surprised