Progress Thread 95 2-Top Cobra Build Thread- Never ending

I forgot how good it looks with the hardtop on!
3BCE8FC8-A1BE-445E-8970-BB7085BF3ABB.jpeg
C12389A8-E98E-47E3-8543-5CC8759FFEAE.jpeg
32E6AB84-C12D-4C35-9C19-A1627E4903F5.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

So as of late a new issue has arisen. This use to happen maybe once every couple months but as of late it seems to happen every couple days. Sometimes when I turn the car on, the head unit just does not get power. It will be working fine when while driving, I will park the car, and the next day I go to start the car and the radio never comes on. Usually I disconnect the battery ground for 30 minutes and hook it back up and the radio powers on. I have been trying to test different ways of turning the car on ( key to acc, interact w headunit, and then start) usually this allows it to stay on but it seems to be random. I have not found a concrete reason as to why it does this. All of the other electronics work fine and this is the second pioneer headunit I have had in the car as the second stopped working, maybe this one is on the way out too? The only thing I could think of is I have tapped into the radio fuse for the dash cam but its been in there for years and have never had this issue with the stock mach 460 and did not have this issue for a while on this headunit. I checked all the wiring in the dash and all looks well. I know this was a lot and probably very confusing but I hope you can help me find a solution.

I would double check the wiring. If all looks well and you never had a similar issue with the original radio, it's likely another aftermarket unit going bad on you.
I might even throw back on my stock head unit for a while and see if the issue persists. The wiring harness was from crutchfield and I couldn’t find any defects. If the Mach head unit doesn’t have this issue I’ll have to deal with them again for another unit.

The automotive sound system aftermarket is almost dead at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make 'em like they used to.
The quality really isn’t there. I’ve been tempted to ditch it and do the double din conversion but I want the option to easily throw back in the stock stuff

Going back to the squealing issue in my engine bay. I inspected the pulleys for play and my power steering pulley has just over a 1/4” of play in and out. Could this be the issue or is this a normal amount of play? My next step is to replace the belt (preventative maintenance) and while it is off, spin all the pulleys and see if one of my bearings such as in the idler or tensioner has gone bad

The PS pulley is not supposed to have that kind of play. I do not remember hearing about a self aligning pulley system.
I pushed it all the way in and started the car, no more of the screeching noise. I am sure it will walk itself back out but I will test that a couple more times to verify that is the issue and then go ahead and replace if need be. I think the auto parts store has a puller for these pullies.

Come to find they don't make a psp for the 94-95 v8. They do have the pulley for a v6 and there seems to be conflicting information as to if that would work clearance wise due to the larger diameter. The only true solution is there is a guy of of Jacksonville that made billet pullies designed to for 94-95 302 cars but that's $80 plus the ride.

Last edited:
Well the Cobra isn't going anywhere but it is no longer on full daily duty. I now have one of my realistic dream cars. It has 4 doors, a T56, and a v8. Any guesses?
Oh, and it's cammed with longtubes running to corsa axleback and should be pushing 420/390 to the wheels!

For those who care, sold the Black CTS-V and picked up this one instead. Better starting platform. 99k miles 2006 with the LS2. Makes the Cobra really feel slow lol
92A9F1AE-2999-4FAB-9ABD-BE7686445996.jpeg
094FD663-8D8D-4E6F-AF13-197D078DD57C.jpeg
3D5E0FA6-9904-4FDE-AF16-98FE16796981.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users