98 GT Not Starting

def1eppard

Founding Member
Apr 28, 2002
DFW, TX
About a week ago my car started up rough a couple of times and I just attributed it to the cold weather. Yesterday I tried to start it up and it wouldn't turn over, just sits there cranking. Just now I tried to start it up again it cranked and I gave it a few pumps of gas and got it "started" I guess, but it was really just me revving the gas. As soon as I stop pumpin the pedal, it dies instantly.

Does that mean it is something fuel related? The battery gauge was showing normal, but I don't really know how reliable that is. I guess it could be not getting any spark? I'm just trying to get a possible clue because I have no tools whatsoever at my apartment and I've been inactive on common Mustang/car stuff for years.

• Sponsors (?)

Well seeing as how I don't really have the tools, time, or workspace to attempt any work by myself, I gave up and got it towed to a nearby dealership today. They've already called me back giving me some typical great car news. They told me my fuel pump is out and needs to be replaced, and so to go along with that it needs a new fuel filter, the injectors need to be flushed, and I can't remember anything else. One thing that really stood out is they said the computer needs to be reprogrammed. Are you serious? What for? And the quote was for $1100 so now I gotta shop around.