98 gt wont crank

Frankencrites

Apr 3, 2019
Missouri
i have a 1998 mustang gt i put a 2002 pi motor in and swapped everything to make it proper even rebuilt the motor has 0 miles on it and i have power to the starter but wont turn over brand new battery and i had the starter tested and it still wont start brand new starter relay and wont start i have power to the starter but it still wont start i'm about to go check fuses right after this but i'm still not sure what would cause this the pats system is fine i get the normal slow pace blinking light and the ding are slow and steady i'm just really stumped on this and i'm not sure what could be the problem
has bbk long tubes in it and a power products after market throttle body all grounds are hooked up and cleaned

• Sponsors (?)

So what happens IF the starter solenoid is jumped to battery positive? Up around the battery there is a white wire with a pink stripe connected to a single round connector. This goes to the starter solenoid and is a great place to "inject" power towards the starter solenoid.

Just to confirm. No click. No electrical spark. No sound at all?

Soooooooooo, This means that you need to go back and DOUBLE check all of your work. There is something that has been over looked.

For example:
  • What have you done to CONFIRM that the motor is correctly grounded? There's a large negative battery cable the grounds to the front left hand side of the Motor.
  • Are the battery grounding harness in place to the radiator core support?
  • Is the motor grounding strap in place between the left hand motor mount and the car's frame rail?
  • How was the starter tested (in detail)?
What happens if a battery jumper cable is connected between the battery negative and the starter's case (or anyplace on the motor where a solid connection can be made).

Here's some more information that will help you to trouble shoot this problem.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

Last edited:
Ok so if you put the key in and turn it two clicks dash comes on fuel pump comes on but the starter won’t turn I have 12 bolts to the starter but nothing happens the ground on the harness on top of the motor is on a valve cover bolt and I painted the block and forgot to clean where the one from the driver side of the engine block to the side of the car on the driver side wheel well

the ground on the harness on top of the motor is on a valve cover bolt and I painted the block and forgot to clean where the one from the driver side of the engine block to the side of the car on the driver side wheel well
Houston. We have a problem.

There is ZERO chance that putting the negative battery grounding cable to a painted valve cover bolt is capable of carrying the kind of current that a starter needs. Think about the large size of the timing cover stud that normally holds and grounds the motor to the battery.

If you need proof that's your problem use the voltage drop test method. Or test the voltage at the starter between the main B+ terminal and the starter case. Likely you will find it's very low. Too low to have enough voltage to allow the starter solenoid to engage.

The studs used for the main motor grounds must be clean and tight.

There is no painted valve cover bolt there is a small little connector on to of the harness that connects to a valve cover bolt the main ground on the bottom of the block is a main ground that hooks up to the side of the car and I forgot to sand it down so I’m not sure if that would be it. the only thing painted is the block. I can’t think of what ground you are thinking of????

There is no painted valve cover bolt there is a small little connector on to of the harness that connects to a valve cover bolt the main ground on the bottom of the block is a main ground that hooks up to the side of the car and I forgot to sand it down so I’m not sure if that would be it. the only thing painted is the block. I can’t think of what ground you are thinking of????
Pictures. Follow the battery negative towards the motor. Take a picture of where that ground wire connects.