Fox Absent a few years, now all the old parts are gone...or expensive.

Bottomlesspit

I started the longest tech thread in the known uni
Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Del Rio, TX
Hi guys. Had a fully decked out 93 vert years ago, then started dabbling with my son's old 92 he left behind. Took a 6 year break and now back to fixing it up. What I didn't expect was I am finding all the old parts I was familiar with seem to be gone. I could pick up ton's at Summit or many mustang shops but now nothing. Example: I had some world heads and a cobra intake on my 93. Also had an Edelbrock performer intake. All the basics parts for the engines seem gone.
What is the go-to head or intake parts these days? I was looking for a cobra intake but holy cow....the old $359 price is now in the thousands?!
I was hoping to find a few Bolt-on items I could do at home....heads, intake, etc. I just don't see them anymore. Is it all gone now for these 79-93 cars? No more of these parts being made? Just sad to me...miss opening up the catalog and seeing lot's of parts available to pick from.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you looked for any car parts lately? This is a pretty bad time to get back into fixing a car, the pandemic is still having a major impact on parts availability and probably will for another year before companies get back up to speed. Raw materials are in short supply and expensive.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
explorer intakes are the new cobra intake these days. Of course if you want a real intake, trick flow street heat is prob the way to go, sitting on a set of 11R heads. Not cheap though.

Welcome back. I take a break every off season, from the car and the forums, and noticed a big difference just being gone since October. Just saw the LMR speedo cluster, wow, and of course sold out, along with a bunch of others. Also, no more FMS aluminum drive shaft with 28 spline yoke, and there is a newer TKO transmission. Facebook marketplace is a ghost town. Hopefully the warmer weather will pick things up locally.

Have you looked for any car parts lately? This is a pretty bad time to get back into fixing a car, the pandemic is still having a major impact on parts availability and probably will for another year before companies get back up to speed. Raw materials are in short supply and expensive.
Just had my name on Rock Autos list to notify me when my rear shocks came in. Been waiting for months. Finally got an email yesterday, and they had two in stock so I had to jump on it......... just hope the two were not a bad return from someone!
Sucks the way things are right now!

Welcome back. I take a break every off season, from the car and the forums, and noticed a big difference just being gone since October. Just saw the LMR speedo cluster, wow, and of course sold out, along with a bunch of others. Also, no more FMS aluminum drive shaft with 28 spline yoke, and there is a newer TKO transmission. Facebook marketplace is a ghost town. Hopefully the warmer weather will pick things up locally.
In the next couple of years having a gasoline engine will be a luxury and a thing of the past! Coming up are electric cars!

Dang guys, this is really doom and gloom stuff! I didn't expect, or know, that things were this bad. I didn't realize the economy shutdown had also affected car parts like this. Just wow!
Actually, yes...I have been searching for parts. I haven't found much at all. The price of used Cobra intakes is horrible. Maybe I could look into those Explorer intakes you guys mention. Don't know anything about that track of parts. I am just trying to plot a basic street build for this car. Luckily I have all the underneath stuff done now...even the FMS aluminum drive shaft! I am finishing up rewiring the interior now. The whole interior is pulled...so I am rebuilding the entire HVAC box. Dread the engine stuff now....hope some parts will come back eventually????!!!!
Thanks for the info on the current status of things.
Ken

You can try lmr.com and cjpony parts pretty much can redo the whole car through there. Standard auto parts store still have a lot of the regular stuff. Otherwise ebay, facebook, craigs you can find a lot of stuff. Stuff might cost more money but finding something isnt to hard really.

Gone also are the days of finding a 200 buck roller. These cars are classics now. Unlike the bow tie boys, that got their engines put in everything, we only have slim pickings of other classic ford's. The part support is dieing off as more of this stuff becomes aged and dated. Even the 350 stuff isn't all over the local parts stores any more.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 user
On top of that, some parts are just gone. Off-road H-pipes or X-pipes? Good luck. The EPA slapped the peepee of some of the exhaust companies and they all got in line.

Explorer intakes can also be found on Mountaineers, and there's always the F150 lower with a custom upper if you're feeling froggy.

QFTMFT.

Taurus fans, fox-body parts cars in general, 460 injectors, and so many of the other junkyard stuff we used to enjoy is real hard to find these days.
You wouldn't catch me scrounging around a JY looking for used sht.....the new sht I buy doesnt last as it is..No way in hell I'll slog through a bunch of swampy assed cars looking for some "future fail" used part when all I have to do is: click " purchase" on my ipad, and get a warranty.

You wouldn't catch me scrounging around a JY looking for used sht.....the new sht I buy doesnt last as it is..No way in hell I'll slog through a bunch of swampy assed cars looking for some "future fail" used part when all I have to do is: click " purchase" on my ipad.
Reference Toolow 91's thread for the right way to go into a build project.
There isnt a part that had to be repainted, scuffed with a scothbrite, rebuilt, dipped in acid, wire wheeled, or otherwise installed rusty, crusty, greasy, nasty on that car.

It should be a sticky that reads:
If you think you have a budget build..stop.
Invest it in bit coin instead.

Junkyard parts are just that....Junk.

Last edited:
  • Loved It!
You wouldn't catch me scrounging around a JY looking for used sht.....the new sht I buy doesnt last as it is..No way in hell I'll slog through a bunch of swampy assed cars looking for some "future fail" used part when all I have to do is: click " purchase" on my ipad, and get a warranty.
TBH its not like mid to late 80s crap was awesome to begin with specially OEM.

Not to worry, this ain't know budget build. I have a fortune in parts stashed in boxes all over the garage. Unfortunately, they are not engine parts....but EVERY other part for the car. My interior is completely out....HVAC box, dash, panels...it's a barren shell. Glass removed too. The bottom side, transmission, suspension, exhaust, tires/wheels are all new. Getting prepared for a new coat of paint and put the new trim pieces on. No, a small fortune...just could never stop collecting parts.

BS JY parts are great....the 03 steering rack is definitely better than my old 89 one, an 06 G6 Alternator 110 amps vs. G2's 60, and a dual elec fan assembly all for $114.

Its been over 20 years since I had any engine machine work done... I finally got the estimate for my Explorer 302 engine... WOW... Twice as much as I estimated.....

You guys bring up some really interesting observations. I have been around mustangs enough to definitely see the changes in parts supply. I have had 7 stangs...all different years and watched the availabilities. 66, 67, 73, 92, 94, 93, back to a 92.
I am currently eying a Explorer GT40 manifold.....just don't have background going in that direction. I hear/read its decent for a mild build.
Ken

Inflation is here too, IMO. I think you are about to see a LOT of :poo: going up, if you haven't already noticed. Houses, cars, food...

.gov can't spend trillions without there being some consequences.

• Sad
I think the quality of parts has gone downhill too. Not necessarily things like trick flow heads, but replacement parts like a speedo cable. All cheap chinese crap. Even Motorcraft parts today seem to be cheaply made vs 10 years ago.

you can still get high quality aftermarket parts like a K-member, but if you need an ACT sensor it was likely made in some 3rd world country by a llama.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
You can try lmr.com and cjpony parts pretty much can redo the whole car through there. Standard auto parts store still have a lot of the regular stuff. Otherwise ebay, facebook, craigs you can find a lot of stuff. Stuff might cost more money but finding something isnt to hard really.
Rock Auto too for a lot of the OEM or close to OEM replacement parts. I’ve had good luck with them and LMR since I started working on my Fox.

I’ve also ordered a few things from Steeda, CJ pony parts, and American Muscle (pre-pandemic mostly) for my 2014 GT and never had any issues.