After Turbo Chicken Motor Swap Car Runs and Misses w/out SPOUT chip and Dies w/ it in

So After swapping the 88 Turbo Coupe motor into my 92 stang, the motor runs without the SPOUT advancing chip in but misses about every 3 seconds, when you put the chip in it sounds like it is just about to start but then doesnt. Here is what I have done so far, Double checked all the re-pinning I did at the computer Harness, Replaced the TFI with a new one and had the new one checked, New distributor, New LA3 computer, Checked timing I am at 10 btdc when running rough with SPOUT dissconnected. Any sugestions? Thanks! Also the timing light looks normal even during the miss, as it flashes on time even when the engine misses. Perhaps the IRMC is bad. Code 14 eratic PIP is in continuous memory.

• Sponsors (?)

Before i installed the motor, I put on a new timing belt and checked the cam timing The marks on the cam and crankshaft are close to lining up so I think that the plastic pointer is bent, I mean that when the crankshaft marks are lined up with TDC the cam pointer will be 1/16" to the left of the middle mark on the plastic indicator, If I rotated the cam back a tooth it would seem like it would make the cam move a lot more than 1/16" and not be as close to the middle mark, never the less, I will take off the cover and play with it. Thanks for the advice.

Did the straight edge check, cam lines up perfectly. With spout chip in car starts perfectly, runs for 2 seconds then shuts off, doesn't sputter, just shuts off like I turned the key off. More ideas? Oh ya by the way if I wedge the VAF open it runs for about 4 seconds or if I keep goosing the throttle I can almost keep it running but it cuts in and out like a switch.

I heard the donor engine run great, it was in an 85 SVO, however I changed the engine a bit before I put it in, I installed an XR4TI turbo but put on the compressor housing from the SVO so the svo intercooler would work, I put on the E6 manifold, I also installed the large vane meter from an 88 turbocoupe, an LA3 computer, an XR4TI upper and lower intake, brown top injectors that were just cleaned and the fuel rail from the turbo coupe. I did also change the timing chain however I did check with a straight edge and it is perfectly lined up.

How would I know if I installed the VAM backwards? If I wedge the VAM open with a screwdriver it will run for a few a second more or when the engine shuts off it will spin backwards about 1/4 rotation. Bad VAM possibly? Maybe I do have it hooked up wrong.

If it wasn't bad before, it's probably not bad now.

I still think it's cam or ignition timing...

The only other thing I can say is the make sure it's still sparking and the fuel pump is still running after it dies...

I heard the motor run not with the VAM i am using, I got this VAM from an 88 turbocoupe at pickNpull junkyard so I don't know if it is bad or not. I guess I should try another VAM. Here is another interesting fact, when I start the car cold without the spout connector in it starts great and runs smooth for about 30 seconds, after that as it starts to warm up it begins to miss. And of course if I stick the spout in it just starts for a second then shuts off. Thanks Stinger for all the help, I can't wait to get this car up and running.

I plug in the spout connector while the engine is running and the engine immediately stalls and actually kicks backward when it dies, having the VAM plugged in or not makes no change except the check engine light comes on when it is unplugged.

Erratic PIP...that's a pretty substantial code since the PIP controls spark. Have you replaced the PIP or swapped to a different distributor that doesn't throw a PIP code?

The ACT doesn't mess anything up...it's a very "minor" sensor.

Having exhaust on it would help you "here" exactly what's going on...

Brand new TFI(ICM), brand new distributor. Maybe I re-wired the ignition harness wrong, don't think so but I will quadruple check and take off all the wire loom, I wire nutted the four red/green wires together that went to the DIS coils per your instructions. Maybe I have two wires reversed or something extremly dumb.

P.S. Does it matter what position the distributor is in as long as I am at 10 btdc with spout out?