Any "big brake" options for us guys who want to stick with the 4-lug wheels?

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 10, 2002
Ontario, Canada
I see plenty about the 5-lug conversion, using the SN95 spindles and Cobra front brakes, but what about us guys that still want to hang onto our 4-lug wheels?

I just bought a brand new set of 10th Anniversary Cobra wheels in the 4-bolt pattern that I'm not going to want to sell off when the time comes to upgrade my stock 11" pizza cutters.

Does anyone sell a bog brake upgrade....prefferably a reasonable priced one in the stock 4 x 108mm bolt pattern?

• Sponsors (?)

I have already contacted Aerospace w/ the very same concerns. He will build me either an aluminum 4 piston or aluminum floating 2 piston caliper system w/ 12.25- 13" dia/.810 thick rotors for around 650.00. He assured me that he would be able to keep my wheels in the same place that they currently are. The "hub" is replaceable, as well as the "rotor hat" that will allow me to change the setup to 5 lug if I ever chose to do so.

At 650.00 it makes sense, considering the alternative. The changeover to SN 95 hubs and spindles are cheap enough (say..100.00) but most Cobra brake kits are what like 350-399.00??. I dont know, but are the SN 95 hubs the same w/ regard to wheel placement? You'll have 500.00 in that system w/ used JY hubs and spindles. Then you have to change the wheels ( which you want to keep) to accomodate.

I like my wheels, that is why I want to keep it 4 lug. and while I can get 5 lug Pony R's in my size and B/S for 150.00 ea.. That ads another 300.00+, plus mt and balance to the 5 lug bottom line

I have used Aerospace on every race car I have ever invested in changing the brakes over, and I was more than satisfied w/ what they had.

Wilwood wants 760ish for a 4 piston 11" setup... that's a chunk of change...

I feel like the maintenance costs would have to be higher. How much does Wilwood want for rotors/pads?

Replacing cobra pads/rotors is generally an off the shelf "normal" item...

I have 17x8 bullits up front and 17x9 bullitts in back.. you can find 17x8 SN95 wheels.

I think it would be easier to plan your build before buying rims...

Yeah I stand corrected:nonono:

I called Aerospace again this morning and their kit only has 11.75" rotors w/ 2 piston "floating" calipers. The price has went up to 779, for solid rotors, and 889 for drilled,slotted ones.

The 4 piston, 13" kit will affect wheel placement outwards by .500" and will affect your back pocket by 1300.00:eek:

Sorry for the mis-information.

The baer kit is the only good choice for a street car.
Unfortunately the rotors are proprietary and most likely you will get wacked financially if you need to replace them.

The aerospace kits i 'd leave to the drag racers. While there is "street kits', they also suggest weight maximums. 3600lbs isn't too hard to surpass if you have 2 200lb guys in the car, so i guess you need the 3800lb kit.
Not to mention you still need the MC and brake lines.
So just to do the front, it's an easy grand, that honestly, i wouldn't pay.

Why wouldn't you have just sourced the wheels in 5 lug?

IMO Fox's should have NEVER come in 4 lug.. I never cared too much about a 5 lug swap until I swapped my car.. If i were ever to buy another fox again, or take on another fox project.. before even putting an engine in it, i'd swap it to 5 lug.

I think it would be easier to plan your build before buying rims...

This was planned. I could live with the stock mediocre factory brakes for the rest of this season, but I couldn't live with dropping a big chunk of change on a big brake, 5-lug swap right off the bat. Even a budget 5-lug swap will cost me upwards of $400. Most of which I would need to completely change in order to go with the Cobra brakes later on. Along with sourcing a set of '94-'95 spindles (spindles that pick 'n' pulls are starting to become wise too and jacking the prices to near brand new cost on). I would have to do twice as much work and spend twice as much money.

Why wouldn't you have just sourced the wheels in 5 lug?

IMO Fox's should have NEVER come in 4 lug.. I never cared too much about a 5 lug swap until I swapped my car.. If i were ever to buy another fox again, or take on another fox project.. before even putting an engine in it, i'd swap it to 5 lug.

Because quite frankly I didn't want to drop another $600-$800 on a 5-lug, Cobra brake swap, after already dropping $1,100 on wheels and tires.

For that price (or less) I figures I could upgrade the stock front brakes to something much better and do so at my leisure, instead of spending nearly $2,000 on wheels and tires all in one shot. :shrug:

WUTS BETTER A CENTRI SUPACHARGER OR A ROOTS STYLE OR A TWIN SCREW?!

Sorry, I just felt like derailing your thread. But yeah, the "big brake" kits from Baer and Aerospace are a bit pricey and over the top for a street car. I think the real question is what power level are you going to acheieve with this car when it's finished? Stopping power required is a function of horsepower and torque numbers. These cars came under-braked from the factory, so a little upgrading is nice regardless.

WUTS BETTER A CENTRI SUPACHARGER OR A ROOTS STYLE OR A TWIN SCREW?!

Sorry, I just felt like derailing your thread. But yeah, the "big brake" kits from Baer and Aerospace are a bit pricey and over the top for a street car. I think the real question is what power level are you going to acheieve with this car when it's finished? Stopping power required is a function of horsepower and torque numbers. These cars came under-braked from the factory, so a little upgrading is nice regardless.

...not to mention the "bling" factor. Because lets be honest.....Cobra brakes are good.....but they're not light years better than the dual piston PBR's that came on the '99-up cars. I think most owners upgrade for the "cool, you have 13" brakes" wow factor, as much as they do from a performance aspect.

I'm no different. :D

Dont you need to get a special bracket for this? Last time I checked doing a rear disc almost was the same amount as just doing a 5lug.

I picked up the whole rear end off an 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, same as 93 Cobra.

Yes, a new bracket is needed to keep your current rear end/axles (North Racecars Brake Solutions) they run 150+shipping... then source the rotors/lines/caliper/etc... You will have to swap the MC/Prop valve... it is probably about half the job of just swapping 5 lug all around. But, if you have those 4 lug wheels you can't let go of...