• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Any gains in running an ignition box?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stephen4785
  • Start date Start date Jun 23, 2004

stephen4785

New Member
Dec 14, 2003
321
0
0
Fort Worth Texas
Jun 23, 2004
#1
  • Jun 23, 2004
  • #1
Im thinking about eventually running an ignition box for my Mallory Promaster coil and Mallory Unilite Comp9000 dstributor.Would there be any gains If I do run the box?What would they be and is it worth the cost?
 

NorCal66

New Member
Aug 12, 2003
334
0
0
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA HOME
Jun 23, 2004
#2
  • Jun 23, 2004
  • #2
Well...it probably wouldn't be much powerwise. You would probably see a small increase in gas milage and a smoother idle. Some have built in rev-limiters, which is always a plus. If you opt for a digital there's a whole lot you can do.

If it's worth the cost is based a lot upon how much money you have to spare I guess. I think I spent like 200 for my 6AL, but the problem is I can't tell you an individual difference with just that component because I swapped in a cam, intake, coil and headers along with it =\
 

6Stang7

New Member
Jun 1, 2003
1,470
0
0
Livermore, CA
Jun 23, 2004
#3
  • Jun 23, 2004
  • #3
NorCal66 got pretty much said everything that there is to gain with getting a box. One other thing that I would like to add is that if you plan on doing any high RPM running, then getting a good box with provide better spark energy at higher RPM's. Most stock ignition systems will have a large drop off in the higher RPM's; getting a box will help to fix this.

-Shaun
 

5.0n66

New Member
Nov 19, 2002
88
0
0
New Holland (Lancaster, PA)
Jun 24, 2004
#4
  • Jun 24, 2004
  • #4
if you do... it would be a good idea to carry some wire and wire tools in trunk.... my MSD 6A fried on me and I ended up using paperclips to make the original coil wire reach the coil again (I shortened it when I installed the coil wire in lead to ignition box)... was lucky I had them
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Resolved Wiring electric fan
  • cbac89
  • Aug 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
167
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
cbac89
S
Holley High-ram tuning settings
  • spencergt66
  • Apr 1, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
  • 2
Replies
28
Views
956
Digital Self-tuning Forum Jun 19, 2026
spencergt66
S
M
2001 cobra ignition timing off
  • Mike3
  • Jul 13, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
9
Views
289
SVT Tech Forum Aug 2, 2026
Mike3
M
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
524
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
S
Preparation for Holley Terminator X install – Foxbody 306 (electrical fan, alternator, MSD Ignition, etc)
  • So_Flo
  • Mar 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
22
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 4, 2026
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?