Any knowledge on TPMS

I didnt know whether to post this in the Tech section or not. Its not really Stang related.
I work @ a Tire/Service center and we are learning more about TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system). We see a lot of newer Yukons, Tahoes, Ect.........
I went to Baltimore for a week on training for this stuff @ the beginning of May. Anyway we just got an OTC scan tool to diagnos problems in the system and also to help with relearn procedures. I tried this tool on 2 different vehicles and really did not have much sucess with info from it. 1st was a 2004 VW Toureg and the other is a 2007 Yukon. :shrug: Some luck with the VW but nothing from the Yukon:bang: .
Just wanted to know if any of ya guys are familiar with this. Tech support was not of much help:mad: .
This system will be mandatory in all new models by the end of 2007. Yes even in the Mustang:eek: So any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

We have it here at our dealership... as far as diagnosis problems, the only time they usually come on is when the tire is below a preset pressure. the valve stem has a little box on the back that determines what pressure the tire is at.. we have a TPMS tool here that you aim at the valve stem, and hold a button down to initiate it. if the light comes on, you check the pressure, then fill it up, then reset it with the TPMS tool. I guess with suzuki's its different, because we never have problems or DTC's with the TPMS system. 10 times out of 10, a person brings the car in with the light on its either that they were low on pressure, and they filled the tire up (which will NOT automatically shut the light off) or they come in with low pressure.. :shrug:

We know the concept of the system. Ive replaced a sensor before. You have to torque the stem nut in in-lbs. They also take different valve cores that are nickel plated. We have changed hundreds of tires on cars with TPMS, but was more concerned on getting the vehicle in learn mode to reset. Some of these cars have to be reset after a simple tire rotation. We were informed that all Japenese cars will have to go to the manufacture for relearn procedure if a sensor is replaced. Then you have to get all serial #'s and position of the sensor so it can be programmed in with the others.
Man this stuff is becoming a pain in the arse.
Any other info will be appreciated. Thanks for your reply FarBeyondDriven.