Any of you guys D-SLR users? Trying to figure out wether to get a Rebel XTi or A-100

I think I want to get a Digital SLR for myself. Based on research it seems the Canon Digital Rebel XTi is a slightly better camera, with more lense options and such BUT there is a catch. Normally the Canon and the Sony A-100 go for the same price. I can get each camera through my work for $605...or I can order the sony straight from Sony for $422. I cant decide if its worth an extra almost $200 for the Canon, or get the Sony which has less lense options/processor but has a built in stabilization feature and save that money. What do you guys think? This will be my first SLR.

• Sponsors (?)

Canon makes the best cameras. Like you said, Canon has more lens options, which is worth it in the long run over the Sony. When I get an D-SLR that's what I'll be getting. I just have an Olympus SP550uz right now, but it does 18x optical zoom plus 5.6 digital zoom :)

I'd show off pictures too but... I have a few thousand plus they'd take forever to load. When I take quality shots I do nothing less than max res.

And I'm an amatuer photographer, but I try my best!

not really very many pics i have to show off, but i'll post a few.

main reason i have a rebel is because that's the one my fiance bought, hehe.

IMG_2790EDITEDol.jpg

IMG_2546EDITED.jpg

IMG_2489EDITED-1.jpg

HeadOn_copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2790EDITEDol.jpg
    IMG_2790EDITEDol.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2546EDITED.jpg
    IMG_2546EDITED.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2489EDITED-1.jpg
    IMG_2489EDITED-1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 78
  • HeadOn_copy.jpg
    HeadOn_copy.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 75
I have the Rebel XT and it's an amazing camera. I took this with the XT. Amazing thing about canon are their lenses. Almost every lens canon makes is compatible with their SLRs. If you've noticed the sidelines in almost every sport, all the photographers use Canon (huge white L series lenses).

cobra%203.jpg

Nikon here.

My wife has a couple Nikon cameras and several Nikon lenses that are meduim to high quality, so we went with Nikon since the lenses will all work with the digital body.

All my research before hand came down to the Nikon and one of the Canons. On a budget, it wasn't about buying the most expensive DSLR out there, so we opted for the D50 and couldn't be happier.

Get a good quality camera and do some research on the extra equipment you'll need/want (lenses, memory, batteries, case, etc.). With most shots, I can easily get by with a 28-70 lense. Only on vacations do I ever use the lesnes that go out to 200 or 300.

On the plus side: One battery charge lasts about 1500 shots. A 2GB memory card is worth about 520 pictures. A 6 MP DSLR should be able to produce pictures up to 20x30 (maybe more) with no decline in quality.

Definitely go digital SLR. :)

your guy's photos look amazing....how do u get that look that is only almost found from dslr cameras, photoshoping afterwards? I just got a nikon d40 and trying to figure out how to really bring out the colors like all you guys did with your cars..

this was from earlier today probably one of the better ones i took on manuel settings, after looking at your guys im thinking field of depth settings might help

View attachment 339519

My dad has the Sony. The image stabalization is awesome. You can zoom all the way in and get a great pic without a stand for it. We took some sweet ass pics with it when we went to New Orleans for the HS Championship games.

your guy's photos look amazing....how do u get that look that is only almost found from dslr cameras, photoshoping afterwards? I just got a nikon d40 and trying to figure out how to really bring out the colors like all you guys did with your cars..

this was from earlier today probably one of the better ones i took on manuel settings, after looking at your guys im thinking field of depth settings might help

8ax0m7r.jpg

With the shot you posted i would definitely have gone with a larger aperture (numerically lower) to blug the background some and draw the attention to the focal point. You can try going into the menu on your D40 and change (i forget what its called specifically) but there is a setting for the pics that you can change from normal to vivid (along with other options). Changing to vivid will increase the color saturation. You can also do this in Photoshop.

Also to the OP, try going to http://www.flickr.com/ and do a search based upon camera model. This was you can see a good selection of pics shot with each camera.

Attachments

• 8ax0m7r.jpg
    8ax0m7r.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 70