anybody know the "by the book"way to adjust rockers?

walker95svt

May 21, 2005
Abilene, TX
I can find zero lash easy, and I can do the whole 1/4-1/2 turn past that, but after the 2nd try, I want to get it right before I start driving my new motor. Right now the rockers are loud as hell telling me they are not done right. Anybody know the correct, "by the book" way to set some adjustable 1.6 roller rockers?

• Sponsors (?)

Here you go...Since its running, myself I would run it some to get it warm then tear into it to re-set....I take it they never "quieted" down since the initial start??? usually within 10 minutes or so things will calm or quiet down some once everythings pumped/bleed up good...

This is how I do it (tech article provided by Ed Curtis of FlowTech Induction )

HYDRAULIC LIFTER/VALVE ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Remove the valve covers, and pick a cylinder you are going to set the pre-load on. Only do one cylinder at a time.

2. Rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation (clockwise) and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm.

3. To adjust, back off the intake rocker arm adjusting nut and remove any tension from the push rod. Wait a minute or two for that hydraulic lifter to return to a neutral position. The spring inside the lifter will move the push rod seat up against the retaining lock, if you give it time to do so.

4. Twist the intake push rod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the turning of the push rod, you are at "Zero Lash". Turn the adjusting nut down one half to three-quarters of a turn from that point for street applications. Use 1/8 to 1/4 turn for race applications. Lock the adjuster into position. The intake is now adjusted properly.

5. Continue to turn the engine, watching that same intake valve/rocker you just set. It will go to full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm.

6. Both valves on this cylinder are now adjusted, and you can move on to your next cylinder and follow the same procedure again.

There may be some initial valvetrain noise when the engine is first fired up but once oil pressure has stabilized and the engine heats up, it should quiet right down to a normal level.

Remember that some racier camshafts will have a mechanical sound to them and will not be a silent as factory units.

Another for Ped's...This is from Hardcore.com
Spin motor with a wratchet on the crank .
Watch the valves , and remember this rule " As exhaust starts to open - adjust intake . Just After intake closes - adjust exhaust "
Now When you get a rocker ready to adjust , loosen the bolt up about 2 turns .
Now hold the pushrod lightly and spin the pushrod with 2 fingers , while you tighten the bolt up .

* dont push down hard on the wrench while doing this , the socket will hit the rocker and fool you into thinking its snug before it really is *

When you feel a slight drag on the pushrod as you spin it , stop tightening bolt .
Now , let go of the rod , and count how many turns of the bolt it takes to tighten it down.
Im gonna guess some will only take 1/4 turn to tighten . Thats not enough pre-load . A good 3/4 turn is good .
If you have one that tightens up at 1 1/4 turn < too much > , and one thats at 1/4 turn , take that rocker and rod , and swap them as a set . See if that cures the both of them . Sometimes you get lucky .

After you are all done , and have ones that still take more than 1 turn to tighten down , add a shim .

Or get custom pushrods .