Anybody notice that the BBK SSI intake was discontinued?

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Chengdu Province
Just saw this today, I have no idea how long it's been out. Looks like they're still selling the box, but the long runner version is gone.

Didn't take very long. That was released to the market what, 5-6 years ago?

• Sponsors (?)

Mine was on when I bought the car. It is scheduled to be replaced with a Track Heat as soon as I get some base line 1/4 mile times to see what the gain/loss is. I like it as far as looks, operation. I hate that it sticks up and rubs a stock hood, the pcv hole is too large and even with a new grommet it fits loose. Also you can't run cruse control without modification or fabrication. But the car runs fabulous.

Ever see one of these? Sure has a lot in common with the SSI.
intake.jpg

intake.jpg
I bet it didn't suck as bad though, I would slay buckets of kittens for that intake.

When you say the twin TB intake are you talking about the one roush did in the late 80's?
roushmustang.jpg

Attachments

• roushmustang.jpg
    roushmustang.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 294
Reactions: 2 users
While im thinking of it, any of the old timers remember a ram air/cold air intake, I think it was made by roush, that had the inlet under the hood cowl and use the high pressure there to force more air in?

Ford has a thing about the twin TB concept. They've done that on several concept Mustangs. The BBK will be one of those intakes that we're gonna hear about for the rest of time. 20 years from now someone is gonna post on a forum about this badass vintage intake that's sooooo rare. There's a reason that 99.9% of the EFI intakes out there are shaped and designed based off the factory design...it works.

They're WAY lighter than 50 lbs.
Your other statements about fuel and oil leaks are typically true, though. And the SSI does pretty good in very high RPM's and in boosted scenarios. I read an article comparing the SSI to the GT40 and one of the TFS intakes and the SSI had the highest peak HP but the worst torque. I'll try to find it and post it here

The BBK SSI was probably more of a wow intake because of it's strange look, with the bad it still looked really neat.

intake.jpg
Dual plenums yeah. Except that one was actually successful and made great horsepower. Down side was the huge price tag when one pops up. When I saw this thread, I knew the roush intake would come up :p

I've always really wanted that intake though. Even more so the hood it came with, but I've 'never' seen one of those for sale.

I bet it didn't suck as bad though, I would slay buckets of kittens for that intake.

When you say the twin TB intake are you talking about the one roush did in the late 80's?
roushmustang.jpg

Not sure I've ever seen that one. I think of this one when someone mentions rare trick flow intake.

TFSIntake.jpg

I also notice a few similar style elements were used between that and ford's fr500 concept. Hood down to bumper between headlights and lower openings in bumper. It also used a twin throttle body intake.

fr500.jpg

mustangfr500_3.jpg

fr500engine.jpg

Attachments

• roushmustang.jpg
    roushmustang.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 313
  • TFSIntake.jpg
    TFSIntake.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 453
  • fr500engine.jpg
    fr500engine.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 384
  • mustangfr500_3.jpg
    mustangfr500_3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 248
  • fr500.jpg
    fr500.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 219
This one? Gearheadboy posted same intake but, stripped down.

roushintake50.jpg

Yup that's it, looks like a mess under the hood. I never saw any performance numbers on it and I bet the system cost a fortune with having to buy a intake and hood but I do like the idea of using that area for the air inlet.

Attachments

• roushintake50.jpg
    roushintake50.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 396
Someone needs to come up with a larger version of the GT-40 tubular intake. Particularly now that there's so much more interest in turbo setup and the like.

Larger, and with more optimized and balanced ports in the lower. Those front ports are definitely kind of goofy.

It will never happen though, unless FRPP decides to do it, which is highly unlikely. Even if they do, they'll do some ridiculous design change that no one asked for, and even though it causes problems, they'll advertise it as a benefit (*cough* boss block short cylinder bores *cough*).

Yup that's it, looks like a mess under the hood. I never saw any performance numbers on it and I bet the system cost a fortune with having to buy a intake and hood but I do like the idea of using that area for the air inlet.
Somebody a while ago in another thread ran numbers on it. On a near stock stang the claim was 47 horsepower, and the dyno showed 35 horses or so. An amazing change, but not what was claimed. And the other claim made by roush was that that intake plus gt40x heads itwould make 120 horsepower.

Any high rise hood works, it doesn't 'need' the induction hood, but it's a nice touch. The original cost was something like 2000 from roush. Personally I think it makes up for being messy by elimanting the intake-cross the engine bay and still is a very neat piece.

Here's the thread, the pictures crapped out but the OP said the numbers and what he had on the car.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/roush-intake-dyno-numbers.528392/