Anybody own a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Digital Camera

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
Been checking out cameras beings its the new craze on here and figure i need a updated one. I found one at walmart i liked but not buying it there getting it from compUSA.

Anyway its a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Digital Camera 5.1 megapixels its a cheaper slr only 500 with a 50 dollar mail in rebate So it will be 449.99. Going to Dover for the Nascar race Sunday so going to pick it up tomorrow morning. I checked out dreview or whatever that site is it had good reviews just wondered if anybody on here has one and how they like it

hers a link to comUSA's site about it http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=320038&pfp=SEARCH

• Sponsors (?)

hey check out the nikon coolpix 5600.....its 5.1 megapix, and its only $250...i just got one 2 weeks ago, and i couldnt be happier....the thing about sony is that you have to buy sony media such as the memorysticks which are expensive....i got the camera, a 256MB sandisk card, and a case for just under 300 bucks!!! ill get some pics up in a bit, but they are amazing.... :nice:

sony has a larger zoom, and can take movies didn't see that in the nikon.

Might be my redneck way of thinking but if I'm spending 450 bucks on something it ain't gonna be used if i can get something new that price. And what the hell is ccd?

i have the cybershot dsc t-1 camera. right along the same line, 5.1 mp also.

ive been really happy with it, i only paid like 250 for it on ebay brand new. takes good video's as well.

That's not an SLR. You will have to spend a few more buck for an SLR if that's what you really want, but no SLR shoots video.

If you want an ultra zoom (which is what that Sony is) then you might also want to look at the Olympus ultra zoom cameras, or the Panasonic Luminix too.

BTW, I agree with the comment about Sony media. It generally costs twice as much as compact flash.

But if you are set on the Sony, the fact that dreview (if that was who it was) gave it high marks should mean that you will be happy with it. Check http://www.dcresource.com/ too.

Here's a brief excerpt of what they said, "How Does it Compare: The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 is a very good ultra zoom camera that isn't quite as good as the best models in this class (the Panasonic FZ5 and FZ20), mainly because of its above average purple fringing levels. It does offer a lot, though, and if you look past the purple fringing you'll find a very capable camera." (and those Panasonic models are about a year older than the model you are looking at)

and if you look past the purple fringing you'll find a very capable camera." (and those Panasonic models are about a year older than the model you are looking at)

No way, that purple fringe kills photos. That's the first thing I notice with a crappy lens/CCD combo (second only to noise). Seriously though, if you aren't serious into the photo quality, just get something with the bells and whistles and you'll be happy with it. Most people couldn't tell you what a good photo looks like anyway.

Zero Signal said:
No way, that purple fringe kills photos.
Meh, that's the danger of latching onto a brief quote without reading the full context. In this case purple fringing at some level is expected, and the rest of the writeup goes on to say that this Sony is below average for the category - but not out of line.

Generally ALL ultra zoom cameras exhibit some level of purple fringing. So the fact that someone is looking at an ultra zoom camera implies that they either don't care about that issue, or that the convenience of a high powered zoom outweighs.

This is not a deal breaker for this camera. The sony memory is (potentially) a bigger issue.

BTW, if you are still interested in this camera, check out the sample video - pretty good I'd say. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_h1-review/MOV00124.MPG

The DSC-H1 digital camera features Sony advanced technology and a generous 5.1 megapixel resolution in this easy-to-use SLR (single lens reflex) body design. The DSC-H1's oversize 2.5-inch LCD screen, and live histogram display allow you to quickly and easily compose perfectly framed shots. Plus the amazing 12x optical zoom lets you get into the center of the action.

Jinx, I am guessing you were quoting from some promo right-up. If you notice, it said "SLR body design." That comment was only trying to point out that it is a large body camera (not pocket/small). But that Sony model is not an SLR camera. (SLR cameras have removeable/interchangeable lenses). Just want to make sure you don't think it is, cause you will be disappointed.

actually you can change the lenses. I went a head and bought it and I love it. It worked great at the race and took beautiful pics.

John it wasn't suppose to be a debate I was just asking if anybody had one not everyones opinions but thats ok.

In the reviews i read said how the manual sucked and the software was junk. well Sunday morning at the race my gf took out the manual and started telling me how to set it so it can't be that hard to figure out and the software is easy to use just plug the camera in and the pics and vids send themselves. It also has a cool thing where you can make a slide show with music.

I would recomend the camera to people

View attachment 502579

i agree it's not a "true" slr but doesn't that also depend on the fact that the viewfinder takes it's image through the lens and not a separate hole... which i believe this one does

i recommended the Canon S2 IS, but that camera and the sony one are very similar.

the "lens changing" ability I believe applies to add on lenses, which aren't a true replacement lens. I believe (if it's the same as my canon is s1) that you simply add a coupler between the existing lens and a lens used in SLRs

but i haven't had experience with that one and it seems like you like it so :nice: and have some fun w/ it