Anybody running a 8.8" rear out of an explorer in their 67-70 stang?

67GTCOUPE

Founding Member
Dec 20, 2000
Land of Ice and Snow
Anybody running a 8.8" rear out of an explorer in their 67-70 stang?

Just wondering if the offset pinion causes issues with driveshaft/tunnel?

My 8 inch is ready to go behind the 393w.....

Winter project is new rear end....I can get a 8.8 with disks from an explorer....what is the deal?:shrug:

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, I am running a '97 mountaineer 8.8. I had a rear end shop center the pumpkin by replacing the short tube with another long tube, then they cut it to the same width as the old 8" rearend.

Works great! I'm very happy with it. Rear discs are a bonus.

You'll need to bend some brake lines and find some soft lines that will work, but that's all pretty easy stuff. Also you'll have to have the leaf spring perches welded on with the right pinion angle.

You'll also need bigger u bolts and you'll have to either get new plates or modify the existing plates.

I spent a couple of saturdays on it, wasn't bad really. I think the worst part is smelling the oil! good luck :nice:

tons of people never cut it down, and never have issues other than the d/s bumping the tunnel on huge bumps.

I didn't narrow mine..just welded my perches on in the right place and bolted it into my 66

Sounds like a lot of work.

Perhaps I will just get a Mustang rear end and use the 2 long explorer alxes and diff to get the 31 splines????

What did you do with the e-brakes? Can you use the 67 cables?????

Thanks!

Sounds like a lot but it's not really very bad. I gave the rearend to a shop and $900 later, it came back just like new including powder coating and new axles.

The e-brakes are a work in progress, I'm going to use the ebrake cables that came with the rearend