Anyone ever heard of putting an entire SVO front doghouse on a 93 convertible?

• Sponsors (?)

So I googled "automotive dog house" for chits and giggles, here's probably the best explanation I can think of from the first post from a Chevelle forum and more or less the way I've understood it in the past:

There was a post a short time ago and some on mentioned the dog house was missing on a car or something and some car guys didnt know what a dog house was. Ive always called it a dog house but write front clip to make my post clear.
Im thinking the term dog house comes from back in the day when a junk yard would have the front clip removed from a car before crushing the shell. The yards wouldn't part out a complete clip or doghouse since it was more valuable as a whole unit. And if there is a junkyard dog around and you look at the clip from behind, you can see a dog using it as a dog house. At least thats the way I see it.
Opinions?

I've heard it called doghouse once or twice in the past and that was back in Iowa, not Kentucky (or Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, West Virginia, etc etc etc....). BUT, the term dog house........

1583619175740.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I'm actually from California only been in Kentucky for four years .The term dog house was always the engine cover in a van I be worked at junkyards ,used car dealership new car dealership and it was always in reference to a vans engine cover .This is the first time I have ever heard it to describe a front clip

I can’t just “ Like” what you said...it’s the most accurate observation you’ve ever made, especially since you make it a point to Analyze my behavior.

But,..Alabama is just like every other place,..normal people are every where...Except at a race track.

Georgia sucks too. Except it's full. I would like to ask Alabama to please send their economic refugees elsewhere from now on.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
So why does it have to be 'a redneck thing' ?
Maybe some car enthusiast in North Dekota, wait, no Michigan! Yeah, Michigan! Walked into his garage one day and his dog is sitting in the engine compartment of his hot rod, maybe he just had a row with his wife and he was thinking that he was in 'the dog house'. So when he sees his best friend sitting there he says 'so buddy (that's the dogs name, buddy), you think you're in the dog house too?'
He tells the guys when they come over to help him work on the car about it, and here ya go,
No renecks
No Mountain Dew
Just a guy in a greasy T shirt, a cigarette in one hand, a beer in the other (likely a Schlitz beer) and 'man's best friend'

Reactions: 1 user
So why does it have to be 'a redneck thing' ?
Maybe some car enthusiast in North Dekota, wait, no Michigan! Yeah, Michigan! Walked into his garage one day and his dog is sitting in the engine compartment of his hot rod, maybe he just had a row with his wife and he was thinking that he was in 'the dog house'. So when he sees his best friend sitting there he says 'so buddy (that's the dogs name, buddy), you think you're in the dog house too?'
He tells the guys when they come over to help him work on the car about it, and here ya go,
No renecks
No Mountain Dew
Just a guy in a greasy T shirt, a cigarette in one hand, a beer in the other (likely a Schlitz beer) and 'man's best friend'
So that’s how you see it then? What happens when you’re that same guy, your friend comes over to the shop with his new car with a coyote swap,...He sits around for a while, then tells everybody that he’s gonna leave.
One of your toothless friends tells your Coyote buddy to show us what the car will do when he leaves.
Does he:
1. Peel out.
2. Burn rubber.
3. Lay some scratch.
4. Or,..like our Buddy Dom does on F&F....Pop a wheelie?
Where does all the stupid sht go to die? Wherever it went, it’d be great if it would just be left alone to rot, instead of dragging it back. In all of my 45 years of driving cars , I’ve never heard of a front clip being called a “ Dog House”. And I’ve lived in Iowa, and Nebraska, and Colorado before landing in Alabama. Rednecks are alive and well in all of those states.

And it is redneck terminology. Show me any automotive manual, that has the word Doghouse, Tranny, Dizzy, Pumpkin, Chunk, Wrinkle walls, Pop-ups, or a 3/4 cam referring to any of the items before.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been around cars my whole life, and been in the collision industry for over 20 years and never heard of doghouse either.

Exactly! Toxic Yellow/green is a good color for blood, and the Zero Sugar blend is not nearly as nasty as the old diet formula.
I’ve never seen a front clip used as a Dog House, but I could see an ASPCA commercial with one.
The “bang strip” (door mounding and rear bumper cover) will also have to be changed to match. But it should look good then.

You say that like Mountain Dew is bad? :shrug:

So that’s how you see it then? What happens when you’re that same guy, your friend comes over to the shop with his new car with a coyote swap,...He sits around for a while, then tells everybody that he’s gonna leave.
One of your toothless friends tells your Coyote buddy to show us what the car will do when he leaves.
Does he:
1. Peel out.
2. Burn rubber.
3. Lay some scratch.
4. Or,..like our Buddy Dom does on F&F....Pop a wheelie?
Where does all the stupid sht go to die? Wherever it went, it’d be great if it would just be left alone to rot, instead of dragging it back. In all of my 55 years of driving cars , I’ve never heard of a front clip being called a “ Dog House”. And I’ve lived in Iowa, and Nebraska, and Colorado before landing in Alabama. Rednecks are alive and well in all of those states.

And it is redneck terminology. Show me any automotive manual, that has the word Doghouse, Tranny, Dizzy, Pumpkin, Chunk, Wrinkle walls, Pop-ups, or a 3/4 cam referring to any of the items before.
It would not be any fun if it was left to die.