Anyone get a bunch of misfires from autolite copper cores?

Pai

Feb 11, 2009
I Quadruple checked my firing order.
changed to the cheap autolite copper cores only until payday, and these were way better then what were in them already, well, condition wise at least.

What I dont understand is, I searched and read that other people do use the 25 coppers on their na motor. And I woouldnt think my gap is too small, because I thought you can only go too big because of a weak ignition, please, correct me if im wrong

car runs like crap now!
anyone have this happen?

Autolite 25's btw

Gapped at .040

• Sponsors (?)

I Quadruple checked my firing order.
changed to the cheap autolite copper cores only until payday, and these were way better then what were in them already, well, condition wise at least.

What I dont understand is, I searched and read that other people do use the 25 coppers on their na motor. And I woouldnt think my gap is too small, because I thought you can only go too big because of a weak ignition, please, correct me if im wrong

car runs like crap now!
anyone have this happen?

Autolite 25's btw

Gapped at .040

Closing the gap to compensate for a weak spark is not the answer. I would go back to the factory spec. of .054(?). Closing the gap on boosted applications is a different matter and is done for different reasons.

I run 24's at 0.045" so that's not the issue IMHO. A slightly smaller gap leaves a little on the table because of the change in kernal dynamics but it's not a biggie when just driving around.

If it misses at idle, run a cylinder balance test.

Otherwise, check your wire for leakage. On an idling motor in the dark, mist water on the wires and look for pixie dust leaving the wires. Be careful of moving engine parts, etc.

Once you find the issue, I would open the gap back up to around 0.050". An ignition in decent shape can handle almost double that amount of gap (as seen on gap-eroded plugs).